Egads and gadzooks, it's the Mondaily

Trim

Oct 28, 2007
Egads and gadzooks, it's the Mondaily

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Welcome back to the sanctuary that is the SPF! :thumbsup:

RL: I did indeed have a nice weekend myself. Saturday's trip to the GF's cousin's housewarming party wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it'd be. Sunday wasn't a stellar day, if I'm honest; the GF spent a lot of time cleaning her house while I was left feeling mostly useless, but it's still good to be able to spend time with her when I can. Today, my only real plans are to have a chat with Fast E. Should be good, as they usually tend to be.

D2: During my conversation with Mr. Eddie, I'll be doing runs for the MFO. I put in about 1.5 hours today before work and managed to more than double my total qualifiers. ...My overall score isn't the least bit impressive, but at least I can now fill out a top five.

Re: Egads and gadzooks, it's the Mondaily

RL: Ah, vacation, so lovely! Ghonna visit my old dad today, ehh, yeah.

D2: Leveling my dualsorc in 1.09, ghonna head into nm soon, for some serious mfing.

OVG: No.

RL: Exhausting weekend - the last three days of my encounter group from Fri-Sun plus parents coming over and staying late on Friday, dissertation party at a friend's flat/in different pubs in town plus wedding preparations...slept 11 hours tonight and could still use some more sleep. Went to the doctor with my little one - it was time for her second set of shots and she was marvelous: she only cried for 5 seconds, then started smiling again, even at the doctor. :) Awesome girl, she is :)

D2: Maybe some random Druid today.

RL: Went back to work today, just got home fairly tired. No more work until Thursday though which is nice.

D2: MFO and Slow and Steady tourney. Hopefully I find some nice drops today.

Nice Grisu :)

RL: slept in, which means I'll probably take a short day at work. Still haven't cleaned up my apartment after my birthday party in the weekend. But it's a holiday tomorrow, so I'll probably do it then. I got a bike (and old old lady bike, but it works!) so I'll have to go buy a lock and a pump for that. Probably buy some new shorts aswell. The weather is incredible at the moment. This saturday it was above 30°C. I'm not sure about here in Germany, but in Denmark that isn't normal - especially not in April!

D2: Probably some more MFO.

@FoE: How was your party? Haven't checked the other dailies the last few days (see my RL duties...). Weather is indeed awesome, and it's not quite normal here either, but there's a German saying: "April, April, der macht was er will..." (A personification of April: "April, April, he does like he pleases" (I don't know if "it" would work here instead of "he", that's why I chose he...).

@ Grisu: I would probably say "April, April it does as it pleases". Unlike german / french we don't generally use female / male pronouns for non-living nouns.

Rl: work, had a decent weekend despite a mini argument with my wife on Friday night. My job interview on Friday went well, despite all the nasty questions the interviewers asked me (there was 4 of them)

D2: meh

OVG: Deus Ex: HR. Decided to go for the pacifist / foxiest of the hounds achievement on the hardest difficulty. Been challenging but fun sneaking past/ using non-lethal takedowns on everyone :)

Since we're talking grammar:

The subtitle to the first Xenosaga game (PS2) is Der Wille Sur Macht. I had a friend do a translation for me years ago and he said it meant "The Will For Power." But I'm guessing that's a straight textbook answer. Is there any more poetic license one could use and make this phrase a little more pleasing... or is that really all it can mean?

The "power" part seems apt enough, but "will" doesn't really fit. Based on the game's story, I more would have said "Fight for power" or "Lust for power."

@FoE: How was your party? Haven't checked the other dailies the last few days (see my RL duties...). Weather is indeed awesome, and it's not quite normal here either, but there's a German saying: "April, April, der macht was er will..." (A personification of April: "April, April, he does like he pleases" (I don't know if "it" would work here instead of "he", that's why I chose he...).

Had a great day, thanks! It's getting a lot easier to have fun with my German friends after I've gotten better at speaking German ;) they still tease me with it though. One of them gave me my first German book; "Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wollte, wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hat." :scratchchin:
Translation: "The small mole who wanted to know, who took a dump on it's head"

I like that saying, it pretty much fits the Danish weather around this time of year aswell. About the translation part: that is one of the things in German that I find the most difficult. When to use personification and when not to do it. I usually just stick with "es" ;) then I also don't have to worry about if it's "die" or "der".

Edit@TRM: that sounds pretty right to me. At least it seems to be the most correct translation. You could maybe use "want" instead of "will", but you should probably let Grisu answer that ;)

Thanks, FoE. Good to get your take on it. Even though I don't think the translation is "pretty" enough, I probably have to keep in mind that the game & tagline are originally Japanese. If I'm correct, Japanese is quite open to interpretation, so trying to get a direct translation from Japanese into anything take a little finesse and contextual evidence. Turning that into German sets a translation in stone, and maybe it's not as direct any more. Still, at least I can think of my friend as being a little more credible now. :coffee:

And good to see you're still with us, Kitteh. That final poem yesterday sounded very... final. I'm pleased to see I misinterpreted its ultimate meaning.

No problem. Also, I figure it was called "...Zur Macht" and not "...Sur Macht"? And I think you're right about the Japanese thing.

Ugh Monday.

RL: Work

D2: Depends on RL, but I'd like to get an hour or two in

OVG: MFO, so no.

@ Grisu: I would probably say "April, April it does as it pleases". Unlike german / french we don't generally use female / male pronouns for non-living nouns.
Ah, ok then. I knew the part about the female/male pronouns, but it still sounded strange to me in this case...thanks for clearing things up! :thumbsup:

Since we're talking grammar:

The subtitle to the first Xenosaga game (PS2) is Der Wille Sur Macht. I had a friend do a translation for me years ago and he said it meant "The Will For Power." But I'm guessing that's a straight textbook answer. Is there any more poetic license one could use and make this phrase a little more pleasing... or is that really all it can mean?

The "power" part seems apt enough, but "will" doesn't really fit. Based on the game's story, I more would have said "Fight for power" or "Lust for power."
It's more like "The Will to power" and it is a reference to Nietzsche's work "Der Wille zur Macht" (The Will to Power). It's not exactly a work by him, but a collection/compilation of fragments and remnants of notes found in his library. All compilations (There are a lot of different ones) are agreed to be faulty and incomplete and often misleading as to the authors intents. Nietzsche wanted to write a book with that title, but in the end decided against it for unknown reasons (AFAIK).

Had a great day, thanks! It's getting a lot easier to have fun with my German friends after I've gotten better at speaking German ;) they still tease me with it though. One of them gave me my first German book; "Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wollte, wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hat." :scratchchin:
Translation: "The small mole who wanted to know, who took a dump on it's head"

I like that saying, it pretty much fits the Danish weather around this time of year aswell. About the translation part: that is one of the things in German that I find the most difficult. When to use personification and when not to do it. I usually just stick with "es" ;) then I also don't have to worry about if it's "die" or "der".

Edit@TRM: that sounds pretty right to me. At least it seems to be the most correct translation. You could maybe use "want" instead of "will", but you should probably let Grisu answer that ;)
Good to hear you're doing well with your German! It's complicated as hell, so kudos for your "Wille zum Deutschen" :wink: And the book is hilarious!

Monday... real life brings week six of ten for the quarter. Half way done. Several dates are looming close. Avengers, D3, Final exams, and a Cruise for the end of June (53 days off). Not 'living in the moment' much these days.

D2: Finished up normal with 3 of the seven... necro, druid, and sorc.

OVG: Not much... a little poker.

RL: Audit Final today. Operations Management Final on Wednesday. Then Freedom:cloud9::nod:.

D2: Not until I finish my case studies for operations management

OVG: Nope.

RL: At my folks for another night. It's May Day eve so I'm heading to the lake park to have a few beers with some high school friends. Tomorrow morning I'll be heading back to home and gf. Long train ride, sigh. Also got a job interview on Wednesday for which I'm leaving already tomorrow. Really hoping to get the job.

D2: Nah.

Today is my birthday! :balloons:

RL: Spending the day with my S.O.; having dinner, out for drinks, etc. - she got me a sealed full run of the Dollhouse comics!

D2: Probably not, I've been getting progressively crazier about D3 after watching a bunch of interviews and gameplay videos, so I might play the beta again...

OVG: Highly doubtful, but I may have to whoop some *** in board games later.

Happy Birthday Headkick!

RL: Stomach Flu, had to call switch days this week so tomorrow instead of today. Either way I planned on spending the day off finishing my final paper as my new PC parts will all arrive on Wednesday.

D2: Would love to if paper is finished.

OVG: Going to get some Framerates taken so I can accurately see how much better this new rig is.

RL: I planted potatoes, if you can believe it. Mom came to visit, and she brought me a bunny! Gonna eat it tomorrow, yummy!

D2: Don't know. Was sort of talking to FE about doing our hardcore chars, but I didn't see him today.

OVG: Minecraft and Severance: Blade of Darkness. I tried doing some videos of it, but I was so into the combat I forgot to say things:whistling:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High