Drop rate vs numbers of players

royalairfarce

Jan 2, 2010
Quite a bit has been said about this topic
Have 2 keys and was wondering about drop rate a bit.
I googled the following:

More players increases the frequency of an item being generated (dropped).
There are 3 factors and 1 variable used (as follows)
- First, the number of players in the game
- Second, the amount of players in your party
- Third, how close players in your party are (close enough to get EXP is close enough; outside of that and they might as well not be in your party, as far as drops are concerned).
Players X command are considered unpartied players (so only 3, 5, 7 make drop difference).

1) So if I play B-net with a second char partied and parked in A1, droprate will increase but not as much as playing with a friend with a char in your proximity?

2) With 2 players monster hitpoints increases 50%, so if my killspeed sucks I would be better of playing without the parked char? (since I doubt the amount of drops will increase 50%)

3)Anyone a table with droprates vs Players?

4)Also read that countess drops less runes and more items with more players in game?

It does not help at all if you have a partied char in town. To get "2 players" drop rate, you need a player to be in your party AND to be somewhere nearby, or 1 more char in town (so that 3 players mobs drop at 2 players rate).

Every partied char in same location add 1 to drop rate. Every char in game (not partied or not in same location) add 0.5 to drop rate (which is truncated). So, let the effective drop rate value be "x". Party members near = pn, total number of players in game (regardless of partied) = t.
X=pn+(t-pn)/2, rounded down.

Simply put, in /players 7 game (single) monsters drop just like for 4 partied players in same area in multiplayer. For that reason, /players 1 and /players 2 have the same drop rates as well.

my story: it took me a while to actually realize this. When I made a comeback to d2 in 2009/2010, I bought second cd-key for muling, and used to keep it "there" in every game. Then I had to buy another keyset for muling, but also having those 2 mules in town indeed increased drops!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High