Does a Poisonmancer work similar to a Fishy as a new ladder char?

jlofman

Jul 21, 2009
Does a Poisonmancer work similar to a Fishy as a new ladder char?

So the reset is coming and people are either happy or angry about that. I'm more angry about it than happy, but no use in complaining, just live with the reality that 28th of September, we have a new season.

Last season I started with a Fishy, and it worked absolutely great. I liked it a lot. My problem is though, that I can't build the same char twice, I get bored pretty easy and a new fishy might make me take a brake from D2 (which ofc I have done so many times before)

So can you do a poisonmancer instead? Saw somewhere that it doesn't require that much gear, but the guide we have assumes enigma + a lot of ists socketed here and there.

But can you do it like you do a fishy, use what you can find (hopefully a wealth armor) and then just live with what you find? Or will it just be too slow and not be able to use mf gear. Is the play-style similar to a fishy i.e. pretty safe and don't really need that much res in hell, as you shouldn't be hit in the first place? Or are you supposed to run in to the mob and fight?

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

Re: Does a Poisonmancer work similar to a Fishy as a new ladder char?

But can you do it like you do a fishy, use what you can find (hopefully a wealth armor) and then just live with what you find? Or will it just be too slow and not be able to use mf gear.

Generally people regard Poisonmancers are characters that rely on gear. Three part Trang is a popular minimum. A lot of people will say that you should also get at least a bad D-Web.

The problem the Poisonmancer has is that there are lot monsters with an immunity or at least very high resistance to poison. If you want to maintain a decent amount of speed you are going to need the gear to pierce resistances and increase the damage. That is the reason that people generally regard the Poisonmancer as more gear-dependent.

Whether or not all this applies to you is something only you can figure out. There are people out there who play self-found Poisonmancers and they don't thin they are going too slow.

Most annoying immunities are on the path to CS, the worms and their spawn who block your way running past them. For my general mf/gf poison is effective. Act1 catacombs, pits, Inner cloister, Travi, act5 wp1 area... all go down fast. To be on the safe side some revive meat shields work wonders.

Thanks guys for your replies, appreciate the help. Hmm, this isn't that promising. Maybe I have to take the fishy road.. But maybe a repsec a little later to make a posionmancer would be a good idea. Because there is something that makes me love that green poison :D

The fishy is such a great start up char, maybe I just have to suffer through one more. Ofc I could do a sorc, but I just don't feel it either.

The poison mancer really benefits from a meat shield. 1 point revive/summon resist works well giving you 4 or 5 revives with some basic skills, with a 1 point clay golem and merc. Leaves enough skills for good poison synergy.

Still not gonna kill like a hammerdin or trapper in 8 player hell. Fun as hell to play.

Cheers!

My first char har always been a fishy since i started playing the game when it first came out. It's excellent at Mf'ing and totally safe. I play untwinked all the time and and use him to find all the gear to twink my later builds when enough gear has been found :)
I've never played a poisonmancer but it is intreaguing to to try and I'll definately respec for some fun later on. I like the idea of a Dentist more though as he is more in the thick of the action :)

The poison mancer really benefits from a meat shield. 1 point revive/summon resist works well giving you 4 or 5 revives with some basic skills, with a 1 point clay golem and merc. Leaves enough skills for good poison synergy.

Still not gonna kill like a hammerdin or trapper in 8 player hell. Fun as hell to play.

Cheers!
Trapper isnt a very fast killer, however poisonmancer does match hdin in clearance speed(though gear is not that cheap), even in p8:
[YOUTUBE]_7AyyqsDdQo[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, as long as you avoid areas with poison immunes I don't think it will actually be worse. It quite possible to shop a wand that gives +4-6 to PN. You still have your curses, merc and CE, which is the main deal for a Fishy (not the summons), and probably have enough points for a meatshield or 2 as well.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High