Diablospeak

Re: Diablospeak

Majaii, you agree with TopHatCat64 on principle right? So what do you think would be a better example?

Perhaps I should have phrased that a little differently. I agree that it happens that words can be shaped from the sound that the action makes, I just meant in general though, not necessarily from Dii.

I will think about it though and post again if I come up with any.

Well according to Urban Dictionary

That's not much of a credible source, you know.

And I'm not even saying that hork doesn't mean what you say it means, but just listen to the sound the barbarian makes when "finding items". It's more than likely that usage in D2 is onomatopoeic, and I recall having read it explained as such in a guide or two as well.

That's not much of a credible source, you know.

And I'm not even saying that hork doesn't mean what you say it means, but just listen to the sound the barbarian makes when "finding items". It's more than likely that usage in D2 is onomatopoeic, and I recall having read it explained as such in a guide or two as well.

Heh, yeah I know urban dictionary isn't a credible source, but hork is just a slang word, so that's why I used it.

The reason I said hork wasn't the best choice of a Diablo 2 onomatopoeic word is because I was pointing out it did not originate with D2. However; now that you mention it, I think it is very possible that Hork could have come from the sound in RL anyways, kinda like "yoink" or "yank".

If that is the case it wouldn't matter whether or not it came from D2, since it would have been used for the same reason when it became slang.

Something I would talk about would be how different online games develop such intensely different "languages". You can go and on in Diablo before you even say a real word, which just sounds like total random crap to anyone who does not play it.

For example, the following is totally common in Diablo and everyone understands it, but if you were to try this on any other game, people would just ask you wtf you were doing.

(oodjob enters a baal game)
oodjob: pp
oodjob: tp
oodjob: bo plz
oodjob: wut lvl bo?
oodjob: btw, im iso 20 dex ravens if neone has
oodjob: baal after?
oodjob: ng?
(oodjob leaves game)

Something I thought was interesting was seeing which terms old D2 players brought with them when they rolled over to WoW. When I played WoW for one month and would trade with people, no one had any idea what I was saying when I said: wug

Doesn't qualify as Diablospeak really but I thought I'd throw out a special mention to Ribcracker.

Ribcracker (or Ribbie as it's commonly called) isn't actually known by a name based off its in-game sound but it's probably the only weapon people know by sound. I think everyone who's played with a druid knows that signature *thwack* *thwack* it makes.

I think soso and dudu were actually intended as insults when they first came out. (If not, they should have been) Baba sounds pretty insulting too, although not as bad. I would never refer to any of my characters as a soso, dudu, or baba. Is there something wrong with just typing "sorc", or "druid", or "barb"?

And wth is a "toon"?

How about gg (good game/gear?).

gd = good duels. This started with honorable intentions, but I believe it's now been denegrated to a sarcastic insult in some cases.

The reason I said hork wasn't the best choice of a Diablo 2 onomatopoeic word is because I was pointing out it did not originate with D2.

The word "hork" you refer to, meaning something along the lines of "snatch" or "loot" isn't the same word as the onomatopoeic "hork" used in D2, meaning "use Find Item on a corpse". Of course that's only true under the condition of the D2 usage really having an onomatopoeic origin, and I don't see how we can possibly verify that beyond doubt.

Wasnt' there a "hork demon" in hellfire d1 expansion?

As far at the language is concerned, hmm...

There's a tendency among PvP players to name their characters in a way that goes well with the "was slain by" message so plenty of noun names are used so that you can make screenshots with "xxx was slain by stupidity/grammar/illiteracy" etc.

I also think that stuff like "bo", "PP", "ng", and "tp" is probably unique in D2 because it specifically refers to the in-game mechanics and the way it's played.

As far as dudu, baba or barbar are concerned they might actually result from people playing different language versions of the game. For example, a "sorc" can be referred to as a "soso" and then as "sosa" by the polish because the "a" at the end of the noun suggests it's feminine.

Some lingo might result from general illiteracy and dumbness as well, for example people would say "GZ" as short for "gratz" which itself is short for congrats. The moment someone thought it meant "gosu/gozu" people, at least in Europe, started offering "GZ items" and you can actually see games like "O dudu torch N gz" in Europe at times :D

Some other names that are abbreviated are torch types, "ptorch" is a paladin hellfire torch for example, enigma is "nigma" or "eni", same with item types, you see people looking for "eni mp" (mage plate) or "eni ap" (archon plate).

Perhaps you should take a look at the abbreviations thread to search for more ideas.

Uncle Mike, could you provide me with a link? I did a search and can't find the thread your talking about.

I did find a thread about the babynames where everyone was very annoyed with them. It was informative about the Korean origin of them. Anyway I would just like to say that babynames are used because they are just that: babynames. They trigger affectionate associations. The same goes for diminutives in general.

On the horking front: does anyone know how popular this is as a slang word and connected with that in what area (US, UK, other) it is used?

Frietjes!
Len

I'm in US, and as long as I've played D2, I've heard the term "Hork" used.

I never bothered to try and track down how it came about, but I as well assumed it came from the noise made in-game when a Barb uses Find Item on a corpse. I really can't see any other logical reason it coulda came about in reference to use in D2 (not disputing tho, that it could have originated somewhere else completely separately).

Uncle Mike, could you provide me with a link? I did a search and can't find the thread your talking about.

Here's the thread: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538888

On the horking front: does anyone know how popular this is as a slang word and connected with that in what area (US, UK, other) it is used?

Frietjes!
Len

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_expansion_pack Towards the end of the page in the hidden quests section you can read about the hork demon. No idea if that's where the term "hork" came from though.

Another example of language shifts is that back in the day when Grandfather was one of the most demanded swords in the game, it was referred to as gf, whereas nowadays gf stands for Gold Find.

That's my contribution for today ;).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High