Diablo 3?

following this sentence but before the final sentence I include everything anyone knows about diablo 3 except for blizzard.

Wow, that is a lot of information. In all seriousness just like lorven said if you hear about it its just a rumor unless it on one of those websites

Blizzard metioned that they were in the process of making Diablo 3 at blizzcon this year after they did a big expo on starcraft 2..it they didnt say anything else.

Blizzard metioned that they were in the process of making Diablo 3 at blizzcon this year after they did a big expo on starcraft 2..it they didnt say anything else.

Proof please.

As for D3 2 things: 1.) I really would like to know how people imagine D3 to be like. There is no mentionable story which could be continued. There are no character classes, except freak ones, which could add to the game. There is nothing basically wrong or lacking with the gameplay that Blizzard might need to improve. All it would be is a graphic update and maybe improved balancing. No? 2.) Hellgate London is D3 in disguise

could be what happens after the smashing of the worldstone.
Or far into the future.

I actually have something to report on this topic. Now, I'm going to be upfront and say it very bluntly and very boldly.... this is a rumor. Let there be no mistake, this is a rumor. Rumor, rumor, rumor. So don't go flaming me because I'm trying to sell something as the real deal when it's just a rumor. I'll honestly tell you it's a rumor. Nobody reading this knows me from Adam, so I highly encourage you to take this with a grain of salt until you get some proof, just as I am doing.

About a year ago, I was visiting a friend of mine who lives out in California (I'm an east coast person). We went to a live taping of Diggnation. Hey, complete shameless plug... if you've never watched Diggnation, give it a shot. Anyhow... while there, we socialized and had a few beers with the various other people that were there. My buddy made some comment to me about going back to his place and playing Diablo after we were done there. One of the guys we were talking with asked, "Oh, you guys play D2?" to which we said, "Yes, we play often."

I'm not using the guy's name because, I suppose there is a chance that this is true, and if it is, I don't want this guy getting nailed by Blizzard for breaking confidentiality clause or anything. Anyhow, he said that he actually works for Blizzard on various aspects of coding, and one of the projects he's worked on recently was D3. I made a joke and said, "Ah, yes, the infamous Hydra rumor" referencing the speculative rumor going around that D3 is being developed under the codename Hydra. He kinda laughed and said, "No, Hydra is something completely different. D3 is working under a different name. They've actually had to change the project name twice because it keeps getting leaked."

As of the time of that conversation, he said that D3 was probably about halfway finished and that Blizzard was starting to put more priority on getting it released. Also, according to him, D3 is really going to be more of a second expansion to D2 than a complete new game. We asked him if he could explain that a little further, and he gave us a rundown of certain things, which I will list here:

First, he said there are three added classes. One has been set in stone as a class-type who's main skills all revolve around being a party helper, not a fighter, who has no attacks of it's own, but rather, gains experience by a system of helping the party as a whole. The other two classes have not been set in stone, although a rogue demon from hell and an angel were being considered. Also being considered was a complete lycanthropic character class that was able to morph into the various monsters from the game that it came into contact with for various amounts of time. Kinda like the Necro skill
Revive, but applied to turning yourself into monsters from the game.

Secondly, you can port your D2 characters into D3. Remember that Standard of Heroes that has never been explained? According to him, you'll have to have one of those to import your character, which will retain all of it's current skill point and allocations. Apparently, this feature has been planned since Blizzard patched the Standard of Heroes into the game.

Apparently, levels will now not cap at 99, but go up to 500. He said that skills will change to allow up to 50 hard points in any given skill. He said synergies are planned to change a bit, but remain mostly the same as they are now.

Also, there is a new type of item in the game to be found, like runes, gems, and charms. Apparently, when carried, these items will allow you to have access to specific skills and/or entire tabs from different character skill trees and allow you to put hard points into those skills. As I understood his explanation, these will come in various sizes and levels and be socketable into items, and any hard points spent on skills given by those items will be locked onto that specific item and only available when equipped. So, if you find one of these new items, it might grant you access to the Druid summon tab. It takes up 3 sockets. So you stick it into a three socketed armor, and while wearing that armor, you can put hard points into druid summon skills, even if you are not a druid. If you take that armor off, you don't have access until you put it back on. That as I understand it. I assume that these new items would come with various prefixes and suffixes, and I can only imagine what horadric cube recipes would be involved. Speaking of...

On the subject of the cube, he said that the recipes and runewords added are sick. He said there are additional runes added to the game, but how many, he either didn't say or I don't remember. Also, he said it went without saying that Uniques and Set items are being added. He said that there are about 3 times as many of each planned.

Apparently each difficulty level will have a total of 10 acts now, not the standard 5 from LoD.

Next.... Personally, I'm not sure if I think this is either the dumbest idea I've ever heard, or one of the smartest. Definately, there is no grey area on this one. Armors will come in sizes. When you create a character (or import), you will have randomly assigned sizes, like shoe sizes, chest size, head size, etc. Armor items found (helms, belt, armor, etc..) will drop in randomly generated sizes. If you and your armor are a perfect match, then you get 100% of it's defense. If it is one size higher or lower than what you need, then it will only give you 75% of the listed defense. Anything else, and you will not be able to equip that item. So, now, not only are you looking for Godly Elite items, but also your size. In my mind, I can't help but think that there's gonna be a quest reward that will allow an armor to be resized.

All in all, this guy said that the main point of D3 is to take the same type of gameplay from D2 and expand on it, not change it. It's still going to be a flat 2D-based game. He did say that Blizzard made it expressly known to people working on the project that the point was to provide a fresh gameplay experience in a way that you already knew how to play, so the main focus for D3 has been to make playing online a more social experience and to promote a lot more interaction and cooperation between players.

And last, and probably most importantly..... We were told by this guy that Blizzard fully understands that a LOT of gamers are troubled by the sheer amount of dupes and hacked gameplay. To that end, it was specifically stated to coders that D3 should have a built-in anti-cheat system of some kind before release. I was told that D3 achieves this by running a modded version of Rust Storm on your character every single time it connects to B.net. Not only that, but randomly, while playing, you might get a message telling you to finish up what you're doing because in X amount of minutes, your character will be disconnected and inspected. I was told that every possible scenario for getting around this has been thought of and taken care of. You're only offline for about a minute, he said, but they are trying to get that time down for more convenience. And as far as convenience, I was also told that Blizzard will have Xfer servers running full time, meaning that if you just want to Xfer items to a mule, you join a game on that server and password it and there is no time limitation to "perm" the game. When you're done, you just click a box or something that tells the server it can kill the game. There are no monsters spawned on Xfer servers, so it's probably where most of the duelers will go and leave us PvM people alone.

So kids, that's what I was told. Like I said, who knows if it's true. It was from a guy I bumped into once and never saw or heard from again. On the one hand, maybe he was legit. On the other, maybe he was just some guy who works at K-mart who had too much time (and magic mushrooms) and dreamed up an elaborate story to tell in case he bumped into other D2 players. Take it for what it's worth and nothing else.

I can't beleive that you remembered that whole thing but nice writeup :thumbsup:

I can't beleive that you remembered that whole thing but nice writeup :thumbsup:

Well, it was kinda memorable. I mean, I was seeing my buddy for the first time in a few years, and I was in Cali for the first time, and I was at a Diggnation taping, AND somebody was (maybe) leaking D3 info to me. It would be hard to forget.

I have to say it sounds pretty plausible. But I don't think somebody would violate a confidentiality agreement over telling a complete stranger most gamebasics.

Very interesting though and I definitely hope you're right.

When people say there is no way to continue the story, I disagree.

*SPOILERS*

After Tyrael destroys the world stone, if you talk to Cain he says "I didn't know we were supposed to destroy the world stone, but Tyrael said so, so he must be right." There is definately ways to continue from that.

So kids, that's what I was told. Like I said, who knows if it's true.

You know it's not true :wink3:

But nice idea with the standard of heroes, what about the cow level?

Re: Diablo 3?

mmmmm.... D3. I dont care if the story is true, it gets my heart pumping! Lol. To me the story sounds legit, i play a ton and dont think i could make up a story like that on the fly..... actually im positive i couldnt. plus i would start laughing or something to give it away.... anyways.
And the the guy who said that he doesnt think someone would break confidentiality to a total stranger, i dissagree. Who better to tell? This dude probably has been holding it between him and his close friends, and was dying to tell someone who is passionate about the game. And whats a stranger gunna do, once again, its not like you are ever gunna see him again. Complete deniability.
Who cares tho....... D3 will come out sometime in the next 10 years... and i plan on wasting another 5 years of my life on it...... :thumbsup:

I think everyone needs to question whether they even want a D3? Do you want to pay more money for another Diablo game when you already have paid for D2? Most likely it will also involve paying a monthly fee as well.

But will the idiots, morons, losers, trash, racists, and overall *@U! no longer be around? No, but you will pay another $60-70 for a game with all the same crap as we have now. For me what matters is to see Blizzard change their practices. I want to see game filters where people get the boot the first minute they start screaming this or that racist garbage. I want to see actual updates to the game. I want to see expansions, either Blizzard does this or they license it for outside development. Either way I want to see a game where new content can be added, and not have the same 4-5 acts 5-8 years down the road.

I want to see Blizzard actually try to do something about security, instead of their usual remain silent for months to years, then do a mass ban. Then they turn around to the community and say "See! We do in fact do something about hackers". I want to see servers that are actually stable, and can actually be played upon. I want to see servers where 7 people can be in the game without crashing it. I want to see where serious bugs will be addressed in a timely fashion.

I want to see better management and administration of the overall game. I would like to see someone with a few brain cells who is competent making the decisions. The whole idead of Diablo Clone and it's great incentive to have people dupe SOJs is just down right idiotic.

So with that all said, and there is much more. Do you really want to shell out another $60 for a game which can be just frustratingly insane?

I think everyone needs to question whether they even want a D3? Do you want to pay more money for another Diablo game when you already have paid for D2? Most likely it will also involve paying a monthly fee as well.

But will the idiots, morons, losers, trash, racists, and overall *@U! no longer be around? No, but you will pay another $60-70 for a game with all the same crap as we have now. For me what matters is to see Blizzard change their practices. I want to see game filters where people get the boot the first minute they start screaming this or that racist garbage. I want to see actual updates to the game. I want to see expansions, either Blizzard does this or they license it for outside development. Either way I want to see a game where new content can be added, and not have the same 4-5 acts 5-8 years down the road.

I want to see Blizzard actually try to do something about security, instead of their usual remain silent for months to years, then do a mass ban. Then they turn around to the community and say "See! We do in fact do something about hackers". I want to see servers that are actually stable, and can actually be played upon. I want to see servers where 7 people can be in the game without crashing it. I want to see where serious bugs will be addressed in a timely fashion.

I want to see better management and administration of the overall game. I would like to see someone with a few brain cells who is competent making the decisions. The whole idead of Diablo Clone and it's great incentive to have people dupe SOJs is just down right idiotic.

So with that all said, and there is much more. Do you really want to shell out another $60 for a game which can be just frustratingly insane?

There may or may not be a monthly fee with Diablo 3 if/when it comes. If there is one however, some of the benefits that you'll get with that are moderators in-game who'll be able to actively go after the racists, idiots, and hackers. The reason we don't really have that actively in D2 is because it costs money and the only money that Blizzard sees is when a person purchases the game initially.

In addition, with a monthly fee you see the new content in patches, bug fixes coming ASAP, new expansions, and pretty much everything else you're complaining about in this game.

To be quite honest, Blizzard is extremely generous for releasing as much content as they have for D2, as well as keeping BatleNet up and running for free as long as they have.

To be quite honest, Blizzard is extremely generous for releasing as much content as they have for D2, as well as keeping BatleNet up and running for free as long as they have.

This is a all too common mis-perception that Blizzard keeps this up for free out of kindness or generosity. They do it because people are still paying for this game, a game long since paid for in terms of initial development cost. By now each sale of Diablo 2 is quite profitable. And have you noticed those little advertisements at the top of your screen? That is what pays for this game to continue. It is strictly business, so I see no reason to thank Blizzard as the first minute this is no longer profitable you will see the servers shut down.

And as for content, they released one expansion pack and that was it. Sure they did release a couple of patches, but do realize decisions to release a patch are done through a business state of mind and not out of generosity.

If D3 is ever made:

A) it won't be anything like D2 because the creators of diablo don't work for blizzard

B) the creators of D2 broke off to form flagship studios so the closest to D3 is going to be from them, and they already made their game that was suppose to "be" D3 and that was hellgate london.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High