D2R 2.4 - First Impressions

Not sure if it is just me, but hey seem to have "fixed" the thing when you could start casting buffs / moving before the loading screen has finished when you make a new game. This makes the effective run times slightly longer again in D2R.

There have been at least two occasions recently when I went to the A5 Frigid Highlands WP with my necromancer, and the merc and golem were dead by the time my game loaded up. This is a hardcore character. Projectiles were flying past me and I about panicked. Very wary of going through that WP with him now. This was moving to A5 from another act, and I wonder if the loading was a bit longer because of that.

Is this similar to what you all are talking about, @Excalibur and @maxicek ?

Doesn’t really make sense when the game initially loads as you will always be in town.

Yes, I suspected tat this is a “fix” for death during loading.

I would really like to see some actual data for the wereform speeds.
@m4ke I'm assuming Bearsorc speeds have been massively impacted, so you may want to go for a Paladin Shield base or keep them in 1.14d.

Reactions: Coyote_Sly
@maxicek So Dual Dream Sorcs are history in D2R 2.4? I included Sorc to my gear list because I've never had a Melee Sorc. Pally Shield of course if I dump Sorc.

m4ke

@m4ke

I've been fooling around with the 2.4 wereform calc on github. Across the board, the FPA for single-target attacks are slower, but the action frames are maintained. Instead of the fastest 5 FPA pre-patch, the fastest you can go with a Bear sorc is 6 FPA, but that requires a faith merc and ~90ias off-weapon.

The typical pre-patch bear sorc with a robo PB probably does around 8 FPA in 2.4 (still decent, especially with 60k++ damage per hit). But what's interesting with the changes is that even a Crescent Moon PB can reach the same speeds with enough off-weapon ias.

@maxicek @saracen85 I was not very familiar with the Bear Sorc build. Now I studied a bit and I will forget it. Too much hassle =) I like to just go out, cast BC/BO and go kill some monsters.

So Pally only gear to D2R. If I manage to do my 1214 LK runs for a Sur..

m4ke

Edit: Corrected LK runs needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: snickersnack
This game seriously needs a move only button.
My problem with the move hotkey is that it doesn't "update" frequently enough or something. Like when you hold the move-only hotkey it's like it is only updating the position of your pointer like 3 times per second instead of continuously. So you get this herky jerky movement. Like if you move your pointer around in a circle, instead of a circle your character makes an octagon or something. It feels laggy. The problem is less prevalent if you're spamming the key as fast as possible, because then it'll update every key press obviously. So if you make an AHK script that spams the move key, the problem disappears. But of course that is kind of goofy and makes skills not register at times and other weird behavior.

I'm very sad that they didn't use the very obvious implementation that various community made mods have done and simply make it a skill that you can assign on the left mouse button.

@saracen85 Link for the wereform calc?
@m4ke I haven't run the numbers yet, but from the patch notes that is my impression. Bear Sorc is a pretty straight forward build though. Hold RMB and everything dies.

I get these speeds with a 120IAS Phase Blade, assuming the calc is correct:

Off-Weapon IASEIASAction FrameFrames Per Attack

I think that means an 8FPA best case for a sorc. I'm assuming you use Infinity to deal with AR & LIs, so no Fanaticism.

112 off weapon is not achievable off the top of my head:

0 IAS Helm & Shield (Dual Dream)
20 Amulet
20 Gloves
10 Belt
60 4xIAS Jewel Armour
= 110 IAS

This is a somewhat random question, but I wasn't sure where to post:

Does anyone know if the paladin charge bugs were fixed somewhere along the way with D2R? I tried searching and didn't find anything, so I may experiment some.

I recall that chargers used to have a bug where they'd get stuck and not be able to move, among other things. I made a Pat of a paladin who charged from level 12 all the way through hell, and he died quite a few times from the bugs.

This is a somewhat random question, but I wasn't sure where to post:

Does anyone know if the paladin charge bugs were fixed somewhere along the way with D2R? I tried searching and didn't find anything, so I may experiment some.

I recall that chargers used to have a bug where they'd get stuck and not be able to move, among other things. I made a Pat of a paladin who charged from level 12 all the way through hell, and he died quite a few times from the bugs.
Yes i think it was...cant think of the source offhand though ^.^

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Yeah, though I haven't used it as an attack skill, I've been using charge a lot to run NM Countess and haven't seen any bugs so far! I actually enjoyed the weird gameplay of a PvM Charger back in the day, so I may have to give it a go again.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High