D2 Lore Experts - Questions about necros

nulio

Jun 7, 2009
Hey all!

I'm wondering if there are some D2 lore experts here.

Since I'm deciding what to name two PvP Necromancers (poison one and bone one) there are some things I wanted to ask:

- What necromancers other than Nihlathak appear in D2?
- Where does Nihlathak word/name come from?
- Do you think that latin words would make sense for necromancers?
- Do you have nice suggestions?

Can't help with the first three points, but I do have some suggestions.

Necro_I

and

Necro_II

and

Ivy

Well, the bone nec is obvious:

Boner

it's just so classy and elegant, isn't?

On the topic of latin words I'd say no. D2 is more or less based on christian mythology (demonology) but apart from some item names (Alma Negra comes to mind) Monastary in act I and arhitecture in act 4, I don't really see any real connection between D2 and historic usage of Latin - as in: liturgy, study, etc. Then again, Latin was also the language of science for a very long time. Not just science, but also of that what we now call 'occult'. And there is not such a big leap from occult studies to D2 necromancer.
On naming: I don't know. I named my bonemancer Strigoi, which is - i think - Romunian word for a variant of vampire (feel free to correct me). And, well, my Pit running poisonnecro is called Glitters - he finds shiniy thingies.

I named my fishymancer Poseidon because, you know, fish and the sea. I instantly regretted it because it's so high-falutin and pompous.

Yeah Dagaz there isn't that much stuff in Latin in D2, but dunno why some latin words and names feel right.

Good catch jimsfriend, I had looked for lore in some wikis but that part had eluded me.

I just found the 3 books of the Sin Wars, if I have the patience I'll read them for inspiration.

Good name ideas there :p

Since I already have a Paladin and an Amazon with latin names I googled a bit and I'm currently thinking about these names:
- Chrysopeleer for the poison one (Male name from Chrysopelea a venomous "flying" snake, and well he's going to teleport and poison a lot lol)
- Maerorem for the bone one (accusative singular of Maeror which means sorrow, grief...)

nulio,

I'm like not even kidding when I say that Necro_I is better than those :(

ETA: At least better than Chryspoeloleeeror

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High