D2 Highlights of 2010 and Ambitions for 2011

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
D2 Highlights of 2010 and Ambitions for 2011

As the year comes into it's final ten days, what were your highlights of 2010 and what are your ambitions for 2011?

Well 1.13 really changed things. Last year I was after a Cham for my PvP Trapper - Pyro kindly gave that to me when he "left." Since 1.13 came out I found 5 Ber runes, 2x Sur, 2x Lo so that put a whole new perspective on rune finding. I made some nice PvP characters and completed my Faithful 2h sword sept. Not a bad D2 year all in all.

Well I have more than enough to keep me busy throughout 2011 in D2, even if D3 comes out. I want to get my trapper to 95 and I have about 10 other characters in the planning stages, including some more 2h sword characters. No more PvP builds though, I don't have enough time to play all the ones I have already. I hope to run another PvP week and also play a bit more though. More rune hunting too, I'm hoping to make a serious dent in the Runeword grail.

Re: D2 Highlights of 2010 and Ambitions for 2011

Winning the MFO League, despite only playing 6 out of 8 rounds so far, was definitely the big thing for me. Definitely had some luck to do as well as I did, but I also feel like I put myself in that position quite well.

Coming up with efficient runners for all the different MF competitions, and doing as well as possible in those, I suppose. Not much else interests me in this game any more, to be honest.

Didn`t really play as much as I`m used to, but to be honest that doesn`t really say much.

Winning my category in the MFO is an obvious highlight, but the biggest one was to finally make Enigma. Switching from HC to SC in order to try PvP was also a big step, and one I don`t regret at all. Sure, the PvM playing is a lot more boring, but PvP has been extremely fun. It`s a shame I haven`t been able to play more with the PvP crowd, but I`ll hopefully remedy that in 2011. Not a bad year D2-wise at all when I look back, but there has been some disappointments:

1. Not finding Tyrael`s. Every year I have the goal of finishing my grail, and every year that stupid armor just refuses to drop. I hope 2011 will be the year.

2. No 99`er. I started an untwinked HC Fury wolf named Fenris after the MFO and I`ve played him so much it`s borderline insane. Still, he just turned 97 after running Pits almost exclusively. Close to 0 MF, players1 and hideously long run times are not a recipe for finding 1337 items quickly or gaining experience.

The biggest goal is to complete the grail, and it would be incredibly cool if it was my Furywolf who found it as that would complete the HC grail, which is several magnitudes cooler than a SC grail.

I`m also going to level Fenris a lot more, but I honestly don`t think he`ll be able to get to 99 next year either. That will be a project for 2012.

Other than that I`m really looking forward to Skunkbelly`s tournament and I`ll try to play a lot more PvP. Lots of plans as usual:)

Restarted completely early this year, and the definite high light from the restart is finding a high Griffons in the AT with my first sorceress.
Then I took a long break. Now I'm kinda back, currently playing around in 1.00 and have been for the past 2 or so weeks.

I will continue going trough some interesting patches from 1.00(current) to 1.13, some stops already planned are 1.07 LoD and possibly at least one of 1.06 classic, 1.09 or 1.10s. Then I will go to 1.13 and for the first time every seriously start hunting those runes! If D3 comes out in 2011, the chances are that I will completely move over, since I am bored with regular play in D2 and need to fiddle with older versions to keep it interesting ;)

very ncie thread :thumbup:

not good year for my D2 carieer, I did not found quite nothink beacuse RL did not left me much time
but last weeks I started to play again, I want to be back on the top of the PvP scene, I prepared 6 from my PvP builds for that and I want to use them and try them
I also started in LLD with 2 chars I actually have and I started to play again a little CS runs with ym level 95 hammerdin
Patch 1.13 gave me only one Vex for now so I did not realised that rune drops are so great yet :p even if I did like 500 CS runs on p7

I want to do MFO on January prolly pit poison necro to try find my last grailer Tyraels and also some runes
and PvP tournament, I hope it will be successfull
I am actually trying some cow runs and some council runs beacuse it is somethink new and I want to find out fun of this so I will continue with that
I want to find Cham to make doom , if rune drops will be very nice I can try Ber Ber CoA for PvP
If I will have doom I will start to hunt for level99 again with my CS hammerdin
I want to play PvP as most possible co come all to blood moor :)
And I think I will have no more time for D2 then for this things

2010 - For sure, completing the grail was the highlight. When that D-Fathom finally dropped in the CS, I stared at it for a good long while. It was incredibly satisfying. Since that happened, my D2 momentum has waned. I still play some, but not nearly as much. I love it as much as ever, but I'm still looking for the next goal.

2011 - Not sure. I'm an Astreon's away from completing my second grail. I've also never seen a Zod drop. I guess those would be fun...

I hit about 50% of my ambitions for 2010. Wanted to get from grail -100 to -40, but have been stalled for a couple months on 53 without playing very much. I finally finished a Barbarian - first of my D2 career. I managed to put together decent 1.07 and 1.09 characters, and made some good progress into 1.10. None of my rune/runeword goals were met, but that was primarily because I haven't dedicated any serious running time in 1.13 - mostly just twinking/questing at this point. The highlight of the year though has to be participating in the summer MFO. While I was far from contention, it was a respectable showing that landed me in the middle of the Pindle pack... more dedication and time than I thought I could give it. Overall though, goal #1 was met - I'm still enjoying the game and keep coming back for more.

My top priority is trying to complete some proper area runners. My AT sorc hasn't yet started running in earnest yet, a new barb is almost ready to take on the council, and another zon is in the works to take over herding. With that set added to my current runners I should have enough variety to keep plugging away at the grail and my runeword goals for a while. In the meantime, I want to join more tournaments this year, and try to find some time for the MF competitions.

Seeing the PvP scene grow just a tad was quite nice. On a personal front, collected two or three dozen high runes, finally completed my /p7 CS runner, finished my themed staff wielding Baal running triumvirate, picked off the remaining bits of maareek's grail, and at least made decent attempts towards that untwinked Guardian.

If time avails, and the itch comes back, an untwinked Guardian would be about the only remaining thing to cross off.

My only goal going into 2010 was a Tournament Guardian. I managed three. Then came a dozen twinked Guardians, a few painful deeds, plenty of high runes, a decent MFO finish, the switch to SC, some Mat/Pats (one in 1.06), even more runes and some PvP. Got my grail into the single digits as well. I haven't really played for the last few weeks, but I'm sure the motivation will come back soon enough.

Skunkbelly's tournament and maybe some PvP. Definitely far less D2 than in 2010.

I did not write down the goals I had for 2010 but it's the first year that I have played for real. I wanted to get one mat/pat and I got one each. One fishymancer and one orb-it-aller sorc. I found 2 Ber runes within one week and that was amazing.
I also had the ambition to participate in a tournament but after killing off a couple of characters very early I realised that I need to start with HC in a more forgiving way, with no tournament restrictions...

Make 3 more mat/pats, paladin, amazon and barb. That way I will have one of each of the original characters. I am not really keen on starting assassin or druid. Don't know why...
Make a guardian! Don't care which character...

edit: also have to mention the very nice forum meeting in Prague in November! Great arrangement, Bassano!! I had a very good time

Funny runedrops made all my goals possible so here are we at start of next year. I did much more then I could ever dream of due to increased rune drops so this time goals should be a bit more not realistic :badteeth:

[highlight]Mainquest:[/highlight]

- sub 2 min Baal runs
- get lvl 99 assassin

- if those goals are met probably retirement

[highlight]Optional quests:[/highlight]

- fun times time traveling
- win MFO :rolleyes:
- Beta Bramble :rolleyes:

My first ever Pat was probably the highlight, having multiplayed from A3 normal to hell Ball with gf and seeing it fall was the shizz. Other notable moments were a 1.12 Ohm and making my 'grief'.

A sept (2.5 down)
Make a passable melee ball runner
Time travel goodness
Get onto the PvP scene

Winning the MF League Travincal round with a ridiculous haul was fun.
Finally quitting PvM and giving away stuff was more fun.

Participate in lots of PvP weeks, and play lots of LLD.
Hope D3 comes out.

2010: Finding a Jah and being given a bunch of runes to make an awesomely named Enigma. Finding 2x Cham, and Ber since... Having fun in MF comps even though life has kept me from being as competitive as I'd liked.

2011:
MF Comps
Hope for Ubers
D3

It was a good year for expanding my stashes, especially with the addition of patch 1.13. Notably, I had few actually goals, yet I accomplished nearly everything I set out to do. The major highlight was getting back into Classic; Classic has always felt much more rewarding than Expansion. The major regret was building a PvP Ghost for PvM; despite some incredibly sexy gear, she was never able to cope. Also, I somewhat wish I had made more progress in my bid for level 99. Overall, it was a satisfying year, but I wish I had some truly astounding accomplishments to report.

I have two primary goals heading into the new year. First, I intend to pimp the hell out of my Classic Barb. Having Expansion characters outfitted in all the best runewords and uniques is great, but Classic characters adorned in godly rares are in a league of their own. I may have to burn a few SoJ’s for sockets, but it will be worth it. Second, I want to achieve either level 99 in Expansion or level 94 in Classic; both require approximately the same number of runs. I am unsure if I have the necessary resolve, but I dare to dream. Also, I would definitely appreciate finding some new TC87’s, although I have little intention of actively searching for them. Hopefully some additional goals will present themselves over the coming year.

Last edited:

- Managed to make Enigma with the runes I got from the mapping of 1.13b LK patterns.
- Got a million other HR's and made most of the more expensive RWs.
- One of my builds stands out, a melee sorc with dual Dragons, ES and FB. The other chars were ~ as cookie cutter as they come.
- Got my Hammerdin to 98 but...
- Did a restart in September
- But not to worry, with 1.13 drop changes and too much playing, already got Enigma again and thanks to Corrupted and his CS running vid :wave:
- I got the itch to make another Hammer to go for 99 again. Currently at 95.
- Oh, also got the 1.07 ball rolling with some very nice items already.
- Forgot about the MFL, though I've either had bad luck with drops (ofc) or didn't manage to do that many hours in the rounds so far :x

- Maybe finally get to 99.
- I have one stranger build in mind that I really want to make but missing a little gear for now.
- Rush 1.07 chars, collect forges in 1.10s.
- 1.10a Wedding Bands

What stands out are people: adding some folks on MSN, jumping further into the PvP scene, etc. Having "D2 friends" makes this game infinitely more enjoyable, and that is the highlight of the year.

As far as gameplay is concerned, participating in my first MFO, doing quite well, and finding a nicely rolled ethereal DF takes the cake. Behind that is finally acquiring Enigma.

My goals are:
* To continue in the PvP scene, becoming more successful
* To do well in the upcoming MFO
* To complete an untwinked Guardian (tournament or not)

I guess making Enigma, Infinity, Faith, Ice, Beast, Fortitude, 2 ATMA-bugged Grief Berserker Axes, 1 Dream with the second to come can be considered highlights. Also started in 1.07, got the sorc to hell LK and found a rack that drops either Beserker Axes or Balrog Blades, depending on how I approach it. Because of that I'm a bit reluctant to rush other characters in 1.07. Oh yeah, also found 2 Vex runes in 1.07.

I'll try to find some more missing items for my grail, probably go for Breath of the Dying and Last Wish, too. Maybe do some MP here, as well as joining some Tournaments, but I'm not sure if my studies will allow me that much time. Probably gonna quit playing D2 for a while after November 11 when TES V: Skyrim comes out.

2010:
Well, I never made any goals as I wasn't part of the SPF then. Which leads me to my first accomplishment: Putting Bnet behind me and joining the spf! Joined sometime this summer when I put my Uber Bnet gear behind me, I do miss it, but I enjoy playing hear so much more, and 2011 will hopefully get me some gear top match my old gear. A huge accomplishment before I retired from Bnet, however was completing a full run of the Ubers, collecting all parts myself and soloing the ubers. I had never even done an Uber run before, so it was interesting to do for the first time, and I did it in HC. I really felt proud of doing that. Would be an awesome addition to SP life...

Played in 3 tournament so far here, I really enjoy them, and my first SP Character was in the GoldDiggers Tourney, which I ended up Guardianing.

2011:
1. Make an Enigma for my Barb
2. Find more runes to do some fun/intersting builds that I have been dreaming up.
3. Compete in MF tourneys
4. Do more other type tourney's, and possibly host one or two
5. Finish my "origional Mat" that I am working on, hopefully a build that has never been done before :)
6. If D3 takes to long and I get bored: Find a 1.00 disk and start some time traveling, or maybe just 1.07 (currently only have 1.12)

I returned to D2 late in the year after a 2 year lay-off, still playing vanilla,

- Found a Cham (highpoint)
- First time matting a Sorc (I am pathetic, I only have 4 mat/pats.)
- Grail count went from 112 to 94.
- Perfect grail went from 62% to 66%.
- Hosting another Scavenger Hunt Tournament

I expect D3 to come out before Christmas, which will probably eliminate my D2 playing. By then my goals are:

- Find or cube a Zod and a Windforce or a godly rare bow
- Bring Grail to -40, and perfect grail to 70%,
- Get perfect ethereal grail to 20% (I used to Charsi most ethereal Uniques and thus only have 9% on the perfect ethereal grail.)
- Get a mat/pat for amazon, barb, druid and assassin (I am close on most).
- get out of Normal in Skunkbelly's tournament

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High