D2 Classic ATMA Stash

94dgrif

Oct 4, 2023
I recently returned to D2 classic, playing some single player and some online, with loads of nostalgia. Also remembering the main headache - running out of room. In single player I have been using ATMA's stash feature to dump items onto, saving up enough to build a full set, and twink alts. But I keep running into occasional items that I can transfer to the ATMA stash, but then cannot transfer back. So far these have all been set items. Sigon's Guard is the most recent example, but also several Berserker items (not the axe). I literally moved the Sigon's shield to stash then immediately tried to recover it without luck. The circle with a dash through it icon when trying to drag, no error message. I googled, read forums, tried all the ATMA options I could find relevant but was unable to fix it. I saw others mention this problem over the years, but no fix, no cause.

Through my playing about I think I may have figured out the cause however. So I am posting in case it's useful for others. The only thing I have been successfully able to do with these non-recoverable items is move them into a new character created via ATMA. I can then move them back and forth from that character and stash, with no problems. When I load that character in D2 (the game) it announces that this is an expansion character. So I suspect that certain items are considered to be expansion items by ATMA, and can only be moved to expansion characters. The same non-recoverable items are also notable in that I wasn't able to transfer them from one character to another, before having moved them to the ATMA stash. In other words it isn't the stash that converts them to expansion, but rather the item itself is considered by ATMA to be an expansion item. Move it from the character and you won't be able to recover it. I don't know of any way of bringing expansion items to classic characters, so this isn't a fix but more of a prevention.

Are you sure you haven’t accidentally mixed in some expansion items?

Thanks for the info :)

AFAIK Atma is not intended to work with classic. As for what may be happening in your case, I would guess that atma updates the item somehow. Similarly to how the atma (eth) bug works.

Thanks for the info :)

AFAIK Atma is not intended to work with classic. As for what may be happening in your case, I would guess that atma updates the item somehow. Similarly to how the atma (eth) bug works.
Yes I think you're exactly right.

For classic players like myself, I have found two other behaviors that are useful. You can tell if an item will get stuck by first trying to move it from one spot in your character's inventory to another. If ATMA doesn't let you do that, then it won't let you recover it. So for these, stick them on a mule (I bought a second account just for this).

Secondly I have been able to corrupt my stash three times and needed to restore from a backup. I think again this is caused by certain items, this time by certain uniques. The most recent time was after I had only transferred a unique pick (I forget the name), and the error "Invalid item data (Military Pick at 000032E5): bad location" and pop up "Skipping stash item with code: mpi". I vaguely remembered getting that item before, but didn't find it in my stash, suggesting it poofed in one of the two earlier stash corruptions. But it could be unrelated - that the corruption preexisted and the next item stored was doomed to end in corruption regardless of the item.

If I get it to drop again I will confirm. I also then intend to start making a list of the items that can and cannot move to stash without baulking.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High