Confusion w/ German wpn speed calc and dual wielding

TheGuardianXXXIII

Jun 13, 2012
So i'm trying to figure out my gear for a Grandfather berserk barbarian build i'm playing around with. I'm really struggling to understand the GWSC's numbers it's giving me. I thought for berserk, only the main hand weapon matters.. but depending on the "left weapon slot" setting and the offhand weapon, i'm getting different numbers.

Here's 4 comparisons with the same weapons, all with different results, the strangest being the Falchion off-hand which is a base speed [20] which i'd expect to be the slowest combination, but ended up the fastest:

Colossus Blade (shael'd) in primary (and "left weapon slot" selected) with a Crystal sword offhand vs. Same with a Falchion offhand:

View attachment 12315

Next is Colossus Blade (shael'd) in primary with Crystal Sword offhand (with "left weapon slot" selected) vs. the same w/ Falchion in offhand:
View attachment 12316

Can someone please help me understand these numbers? Reading on the FAQ, it sounds like "left weapon slot" is just a goofy thing when switching weapons and order of weapons equipped... but i don't understand how it's coming up w/ these results, especially with such huge differences.

If any kind soul could explain and possibly an ELI5 or a formula for doing IAS calcs myself, that'd be great lol.

To my knowledge, IAS of the primary weapon aod off-weapon IAS is applied for berserk while IAS of the secondary weapon is ignored. Base speed still matters for both weapons.

To my knowledge, IAS of the primary weapon aod off-weapon IAS is applied for berserk while IAS of the secondary weapon is ignored. Base speed still matters for both weapons.

This would make sense w/ the numbers i'm seeing. I did some more digging (i found a very extensive detailed post on the forums of the GWSC site) and it looks like effective weapon speed modifier (EWSM) does average the base WSM of both weapons.. but i had a hard time understanding how it all came together. What you say aligns with basically taking the average of the WSM's to determine the EWSM while dual wielding.

What does that mean for shield users? Is a shield considered "unarmed" ?

I'm also confused on the really strange numbers of selecting "left weapon slot" on the secondary weapon, that gives really weird results where the Falchion off-hand is faster than any other combination i tried, despite being the slowest weapon in the group (WSM=20).

Is the proper setting to set Primary Weapon to "left weapon slot" ?

I'm not completely sure what the deal is when fighting with two weapons, but I also think that some kind of average is used because I didn't notice a speed difference between attacks of both weapons. I usually use either weapon+shield or a two-hander.

When having a shield, there's no special calculation involved. Attacks are simply made with the speed of the weapon plus IAS.

I'm not sure if you can choose which slot is the primary one. Perhaps it depends on which one receives a weapon first. I simply put the fast weapon into the left slot on the character screen first and then the other into the second one. The character is kind of looking towards you, so that's his right hand.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High