Classic Character?

Rodrigo

Jun 13, 2006
Hello guys!

I've been thinking about making a classic character, would it be profitable? I suppose I'll be soloing, I haven't seen any people playing classic, so it will have to be dual element, because I won't rely on a mercenary. My idea is to make first a regular Blizzard mf'er sorc, farm nightmare Mephisto to equip a couple other characters, then restat meteorb, to help rush my other characters, and finally restat to Enchantress, to help them level up. My other characters would be a Hammerdin and a gold find Barbarian, this last one would be my most important character. I plan to do Travincal runs with a hammerdin and barbarian, search corpses for gold, and finally use that gold to gamble rare rings and ammulets. There should be better chances to get good rare stuff in classic, then export it to Expansion. How does it sound?
First, I have a few questions:
  • Is there a level cap in Classic? I remember when I first played Diablo II classic, my characters were all about lvl 30.
  • Are the area levels the same as in the expansion?
  • What affixes are available in Classic? I know procs and charges aren't, that's what makes rares so good, but what others are available?
  • When rare items are exported to Expansion, do they retain the same affixes?
  • What unique items are available in Classic? I remember uniques were only up to normal, no exceptional or elites, am I correct? The Arreat Summit already explains what set items were brought with the expansion, so no problem with that.
  • Will there be exceptional and elite rares?
  • How much magic find and gold find could I achieve? Realistically I mean. In the expansion, a MF sorc is still able to kill well in Hell, with good gear, but what about Classic?
  • And most important, what do you guys think? Would it be profittable?

Thanx!

I'm not an expert about classic, but I think I can answer a few of your questions. Better wait for a few experts to give additional info and to correct me on where I'm wrong.

There should be better chances to get good rare stuff in classic, then export it to Expansion. How does it sound?
To my knowledge, it's harder to find rare items in classic than in the expansion. I remember that it was common to make speed runs to Charsi for her reward, turning a nonmagical item into a rare one of your choice. In addition, a couple of affixes are only possible in the expansion.

Is there a level cap in Classic? I remember when I first played Diablo II classic, my characters were all about lvl 30.
It's 99, as in the expansion.

Are the area levels the same as in the expansion?
To my knowledge, XP and drops are tied to the monster level, not to the area level. Levels are generally lower than in the expansion, so it's probably harder to reach high levels. I'm not 100% sure, however.

What affixes are available in Classic? I know procs and charges aren't, that's what makes rares so good, but what others are available?
I cannot give a full answer. Weapon bonuses are generally lower. I think he grandfather's, master's and fool's affixes aren't available, for example.

When rare items are exported to Expansion, do they retain the same affixes?
Yes.

What unique items are available in Classic? I remember uniques were only up to normal, no exceptional or elites, am I correct? The Arreat Summit already explains what set items were brought with the expansion, so no problem with that.
Yes. All set and unique items from classic are normal. All exceptional and elite uniques and all sets containing exceptional and elite parts are from the expansion, as well as item types with class restrictions, like orbs, barb helmets etc.

Will there be exceptional and elite rares?
Exceptional yes, elite no. Classic doesn't have elite items at all and also no items with class restrictions.

How much magic find and gold find could I achieve? Realistically I mean. In the expansion, a MF sorc is still able to kill well in Hell, with good gear, but what about Classic?
It's generally less in classic. It's probably tough to get 200% MF.

For example, there's no good MF armor at all. There's no set or unique body armor with MF (when not considering set bonuses) and no affixes with MF. You can't even have an armor with 4 ptopazes or so, as body armor doesn't come with sockets at all. All you can do is applying the "3 pskulls+rare item+SoJ" cube recipe on a rare armor.

In contrast, the expansion has stuff like Skullder's, Enigma (respectively runewords in general), Ali Baba, 6 Ist swords, 4 Ist shields, Tal's set, MF charms etc.

It's a bit easier to get items with gold find, like Tarnhelm, Goldskin, Chance Guards, Goldwraps, but you can have a lot more on the expansion as well (Ali Baba, Lem runes, Wealth runeword etc).

And most important, what do you guys think? Would it be profittable?
I think it's not worth doing just for magic find or gold find.

will you play on Bnet? I wanna play classic but on SP, so how is muling gonna work? ATMA and GoMule does not work with classsic am I right?

Profittable or not, I wanna do it because its fun :) I wanna try a staff sorc

will you play on Bnet? I wanna play classic but on SP, so how is muling gonna work? ATMA and GoMule does not work with classsic am I right?

Profittable or not, I wanna do it because its fun :) I wanna try a staff sorc

I was planning to play multiplayer, yes, but not on Bnet, as I play on a private server. But with these replies, I think I should reconsider it. Yet another thing I just remembered. I was hoping to get good rare rings and amulets, and export them to expansion to trade. But the really valuable, *sort of* rare items, are... crafteds :( Only available on the expansion. Classic rares may be very good, but crafteds are better. So even in this aspect, expansion > classic.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High