Classic - a way of samurai?

skiffcz

Sep 23, 2007
Classic - a way of samurai?

Warning, lots of loopy unsortable meta-BS ahead, probably not suitable for healthy minds.

I was thinking (since there is an exam time coming, so no playing for me) about my yet another restart and how to do it right(tm) this time etc. The process always goes approximately like this:

0, Finding the "last few" items is boring. Hm, Better to restart.
1, Keep some things? Or go fresh? Hm, fresh sounds cool, but ...
2, What about my godly charms? And I have some nice RWs too. And this cool +3/20 circlet I have. But what to include in "keep things"?. Ah, it starts to be silly already.
3, And since I am purist (ok, I have RWM sorted out), but go current patch only, or what about that beta CTA and Delirium of mine. And then charms kicks in again - gawd, I still have RWM Pestilent SC of Anthrax somewhere. *sigh*
4, Ok, But somewhere around here I set my restart rules - but it continues.
5, Yay retstart, lets go Blizzsorc, go mephs, pindle my way up to 89, and AT yay yay!
6, I have some nice items, convert her into Enchantress, boot some chars to Hell.
7, Start playing them!
8. ...
9, Hm, boring, what about restart.

Now, to dissolve some misunderstanding. I still like this game, but Im trapped in repetitive reward pattern. Frankly, it started back when I LKd for Infinity, and its dragging with me since then. When fresh, I miss my good old set of stashes, when I bring them, its no longer fresh. I feel like playing something like D2, but not the whole same thing again.

But then it hit me. I remembered leveling a sorc in 1.09 classic for HF rushing, some year ago, and it was one of the most refreshing and fun things I did since, dunno, 1.07 came out. Not the HF rushing, but that sorceress. It almost felt like a new datadisc to me :) What about "installing" it in 1.13? Thinking about it more and more, it also seems much "better", in this sense:

0, No runes - no runewords.
1, No charms - no problem :)
2, No ActV - personally, I dont like A5 much. It has taken the Diabloness from the game. Best way to reach lvl 90 are now hell cows again <3. No stupid Anya bug etc.
3, No Assassin and Druid. Well ... Not exactly pros, still I dont care much.
4, Much awesomer menu graphics - :p
5, And less seems more and more ... more!

It fundamentally changes gear solutions, build behaviour, gameplay, game planning... there is no ambiguity in game variations (modding does not make sense in 1.13 classic), also ATMA bug is gone :jig: ... and so on and so forth. The one problem remains though - are people able to go forward by leaping backwards? :) I dont know about myself, neither. But there must be people with similar thinking to mine, so the question states:

Is there enough people (~10 maybe?) to build SPF classic branch? Because - I dont feel like taking a lonely path. And community is an integral part of D2 playing for me, Im afraid. But trying classic definitely seems like something I once liked very much, but have long forgotten ...

Re: Classic - a way of samurai?

Well. there is always the Classic community forum? When I played Classic, which I did up until a year ago roughly, I got a lot of useful information from it.

I like the way you analyse the situation :)

And also: Happy New Year!

skiffcz,

Just for clarification, your proposal is that a couple of us play 1.13c classic in softcore so we can exchange war stories, ask for advice, and especially trade?

EDIT: Oh, and MP. :p

Last edited:

queenM: Im aware of it ;) But I dont play on Bnet, especially the muling would kill me. Happy new year to you and your (eh, worse half?) too :D

jdkerr: yup, something along those lines. A little probe into SPF, as well as explaining my own reasons ;)

I'm currently playing 1.00 classic. If I will stay un-LoD or not remains to be seen though ;)

I play 1.13c Classic SP on a regular basis. I do not MP or trade, but I would love to become engaged in discussions with other Classic SP players. My current Classic project involves pushing my WW Barb (85) to level 94 (the Classic equivalent of 99) over the next year. Either today or tomorrow, I will begin a blog detailing my progress.

Last edited:

Or you could join me in my quest to become an elite 1.07 timetraveller. Let me tell you, theres no restarting, no surplus in uniques, and no lack of creativity needed... It's like trying to survive in the medieval ages, when laws and understandings were only partly developed and the rest must be Made by yourself.

The later versions of the game, to me anyway, feel like watching a horror movie with the lights on.

I play 1.10+ Classic intermittently and find it quite enjoyable, for some of the reasons you mention. There was a Classic tourney a while which had some interest, but not a huge amount.

As far as getting out of the 1-9 cycle, why not try tourney characters more or go for an untwinked Septumvariate? GoMule makes it easy to compartmentalize your characters and stashes so you may be able to have some of the fun of a restart without completely doing it.

I can only echo purplelocust - my MF times are mostly done, I guess, although I still like the occasional MF/rune run or MFO. But tourneys or tourney characters really changed the game for me. Untwinked single-pass with restrictions is challenging and fun (ok, it can be tiresome sometimes, too :wink:), and ultimately I end up not using those uber-items I found anyway...

classic of course would be nice for a change, too (although you won't get me in that boat...I still got loads of playing time left for my Obsession tournament sept...:p).

Anyways, good luck on whatever you choose to do!

I love the idea of rares reigning the gear selection rather than RWs and uniques. I'm in!

(Don't rely on me too much, though. I have a reputation for abandoning projects as quickly as I begin them. :p )

Lord Slog is now a... well, a Lord. NM Diablo fell last night. I was running NM Travincal for a bit first, then ran NM Chaos Sanctuary afterward, and all told I'm around lvl60. Whirlwind is maxed, mastery is close, and all current points are going into BO. Starting with a barbarian rather than a sorceress was an awesome decision. It is such a different experience. Current hammer is a blue Martel (shields were abandoned long ago). I'll play around with cows a bit next, then on to Hell.

You could probably just go straight to Hell; it is pretty easy to clear Hell in the early 60's and you can always stop at the Flayer Jungle to grind some serious levels. I must say, I am definitely envious of the fact that you have a Martel de Fer to play around with; I was using the following until Act 3 Hell:

Code:
Knight's Great Maul of the Bat
Two-Hand Damage: 58 to 88
Durability: 43 of 60
Required Strength: 99
Required Level: 30
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Standard
Item Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0xf280b093
+53% Enhanced Damage
+85 to Attack Rating
4% Mana stolen per hit
150% Damage to Undead

Well, I must confess. I have cheated a bit. Fist, I thought about starting a char after my exams are all done, but the itch was too bad, so I scratched myself by moving this girl forward from 1.09b to save myself some time. I think I will not HF rush for a long time now, so I moved forward also a handful of items I left in 1.09, which I kept there for brighter tommorows (Irathas short gloves, frosties, hotspur, gull - yay, her original gear ofc, nokozan, mahim oak .. eh, thats about it). I was stupid enough back then, to forward some GG classic items to LOD (twitch, yeah, I know). Also, no 1.09 RC, but I wouldnt bring it forward anyways.

She was lvl 70, now she is 73,5 after couple of CS runs. They were almost impossible with the original FO/Nova setup, so I used my only respec to change coats to FO/FW. The problem is ofc CI oblivion knights, but the idea is - they are just standing there, casting curses. I am delighted to say, that FW works great for them. Well, or rather against them :D

This is her current setup:
Code:
STATS:
Strength:   70
Dexterity:  30
Vitality:  228
Energy:    130
HP:        663
Mana:      504
Fire:       85
Cold:       17
Lightning:  54
Poison:     17

SKILLS:
FOrb	    20
Fwall	    20
Warmth	    20
COldmstr    10 <- rest here
Firemstr     1 <- and then here
Tele         1
Static       3
Frozenarmr   1
Prereqs

EQUIPMENT:
Gull
3xPdiamond Large shield
3xPtopaz Death Mask
Frosties
24%FRH/10life/25%Fres Heavy Belt
Tearhaunch
Nokozan Relic
Nagel(24%)
10%FCR/3str/13%Lres rare ring

The runs are fun, around 5-10 minutes, depends on number and nastiness of packs in CS, and mainly on OK density - they are still a challenge when mixed with other monsters. I have to abort, when de Seis or Infector spawns dual immune, but thats just life of a sorc I guess. Big D is easy, except when Im standing right on top of him to static him and he casts his firestorm, he 1hits me. Bastard. Even with 85% Fire res and 600 life. Thats more than 4000 dmg on /p1 with a single spell. Yuck. Id consider Hotspurs, but they have no FRW :p I have to wait for twitch I guess.

Already had some not cigar, but good drops:

Loath Wrap
Ornate Plate
Defense: 599
Durability: 48 of 60
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 170
Fingerprint: 0x462ccd0c
Item Level: 90
Version: UNKNOWN
+24% Faster Hit Recovery
+33% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Life
Cold Resist +11%
Fire Resist +10%
Magic Damage Reduced by 1

Beast Nails
Lance
Two Hand Damage: 72 - 298
Durability: 20 of 25
Required Level: 48
Required Strength: 110
Required Dexterity: 88
Fingerprint: 0xa8967bd2
Item Level: 80
161% Enhanced Damage
Adds 2 - 1 Damage
+213 to Attack Rating
+5 to Strength

Sigon's Guard
Tower Shield
Defense: 23
Chance to Block: 44
Durability: 37 of 60
Required Level: 6
Required Strength: 75
Fingerprint: 0x7aa15013
Item Level: 74
Unidentified
+1 to All Skills
20% Increased Chance of Blocking

Good to see others are taking shot, too ;) GL, and may your drops be .. er .. yellow! :wave:

@skiffcz: You have cheated "a bit"? :p

I must say, I am definitely envious of the fact that you have a Martel de Fer to play around with
They show up for sale in Act 4 NM. I just bought one; no particular luck involved. :)

@skiffcz: You have cheated "a bit"? :p

By bringing my 1.09b classic char forward, that is :) I will start a new one (perhaps ww lancer?) as soon as Ill get through exams (read, not before late january)

@jdkerr: I probably should have done that, but I did not see much in the shops, so I kept trying to gamble for weapons instead. After depleting my gold supply several times over, I did some research and discovered that only normal items could be gambled in Classic. Since the killing power of my weapon was pretty much depleted by Act 3 Hell, I went back and farmed NM Meph until a 284% Bonesnap dropped after a couple dozen runs, which is probably the best thing I could have hoped for.

@skiffcz: I wish I had your ability to prioritize; I tend to play even more during exam periods.

I'll recommend 1.09 for classic if you want the 800x600 and players command while maintaining viable builds at higher player settings. The only characters that can do the higher player settings well in 1.10+ if sorc and hammerdin. In 1.09 all of standard build with the 5 characters work. And cowing works too (until clvl 88 or so), in 1.10+ its no use for exp and probably not drops either.

I was thinking about that. I would like to try playing pre-synergies, since I am curious about what it was like. Since skiff decided to time travel, I think I'll jump back. I might even jump back to 1.07 -- I have a long-standing desire to try VorpalX's tweaker guide.

Another vote for 1.09b classic here. It's quite refreshing compared to 1.10+.

I originally started dabbling in 1.09b to facilitate HF rushes, but had so much fun I decided to stick around. Finding magefists and spectral shards has never been so much fun, not to mention the godly rares. When I compare that to 1.13c, I find the latter to be somewhat lackluster, if not stale.

Ok. The worst nightmare of this exams is over (read - theory of computation). Its one of five, but it actually takes like four of five slices of difficulty this semester. Rest will be easy (or I dont care failing it and taking it next year, whatever;) )

This brings me to - Sir Rodriguez, wannabe fishymancer. He actually went through normal as a general necro, killing vast amounts of baddies himself. I experimented with twink gear and came up with this progress:

lvl1: gemmed club (2x chipped ruby) - fast and no reqs, 150% damage to those zombies
lvl2: arctic furs - defense actualy helps at this point
lvl3: full hsarus - more defense, earliest frw, +10str, AR - great great great
lvl5: gemmed axe (2x flawed ruby) - this is a weak point, will replace with 6os crystal sword, when I find 3rd
lvl6: deaths gloves and sash
lvl7: high AR nagels - better than angelics because we have enough AR with hsarus and get free ammu spot
lvl12: gemmed crystal sword (6x topaz)
lvl15: irathas crown and ammu - awesome resist
lvl16: twitch
lvl18: gemmed crystal sword (6x perfect topaz) - avg 120 damage is pretty GG for normal

The improvements need another two 6os crystal swords for 6x flawed topazes and 6x flawless topazes. This can get any char through normal safely. It was easier with necro because of his army, but thanks to respec, any char can go defensive route for normal and let the topazes electrocute everything in their path.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High