Caps of attack speed breakpoints lifted in D2R - bug or feature?

krischan

Aug 17, 2003
It seems that caps on attack speed breakpoints are lifted in D2R. It has been confirmed that you can reach higher breakpoints if you have enough IAS. My impression is that the limitations because of frames lenghts have been lowered becauseD2R is running at 60 fps while old D2 is at 25 fps.

In most cases that doesn't seems to be a big deal because the higher breakpoints are impossible to meet, so it might be an intentional change. Also, there are other limiting factors, like nextdelay (which means that certain effects cannot affect a single target more than once every x frames) which limits a couple of skills. However there are few problematic cases.

Example 1: An amazon with Faith and L15 fanaticism in a speed -10 bow has its highest IAS breakpoint at 44%. It might be possible to reach the next higher breakpoint. However, multishot and strafe have nextdelay values of 4 frames (based on 25 fps), so they are nefed, but other amazon skills might not have such a limitation.

Example 2: An assassin with fire blast with a base speed -30 or better weapon (greater talon or phase blade) together with level 6 burst of speed doesn't need any IAS at all for reaching the previously highest speed. In D2R it can probably become insanely quick with further IAS, fanaticism from a weapon she's wearing herself and a higher burst of speed level and it has no nextdelay limitation.

Another problematic skill might be frenzy when charging up and probably others.

Edit: Typos, clarifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: superdave
Probably Fury on Druids will be able to reach previously unreachable speeds too

Example 2: An assassin with fire blast with a base speed -30 or better weapon (greater talon or phase blade) together with level 6 burst of speed doesn't need any IAS at all for reaching the previously highest speed. In D2R it can probably become insanely quick with further IAS, fanaticism from a weapon she's wearing herself and a higher burst of speed level and it has no nextdelay limitation.
This might end up gimping yourself a lot, but a chu-ko-nu has -60 speed and could hold a Faith runeword. I think that would let you get 5 fire blasts per second with just a little bit of IAS on gear.

And actually, a repeating crossbow (-40) has lower requirements and doesn't require too much extra IAS.

Last edited:
Oh yes, the chu-ko-nu! BTW: In 1.09, the casting of lightning and chain lightning depended on weapon base speed and IAS in a similar manner IIRC, so it was common for lightning sorcs to wear 5 shael chu-ko-nus. These days, a fanaticism aura is better than 5 shaels because it improves EIAS which reduces the breakpoints themselves. Add in burst of speed, a 20% IAS coronet with 3 IAS jewels, an armor with 4 IAS jewels, Cat's Eye, 20% IAS gloves and a 10%IAS belt (like Goldwrap or Nos' Coil) for a total of 175%IAS. Let's see (German IAS calculator with breakpoint caps lifted):

1636540949400.png

33% missing for 4 fpa, hmmm...

I don't think there is an item that offers fire blast charges, so a paladin with a higher-level fanaticiam aura could perhaps reach the 4 frames breakpoint, right?

What happens if you switch over to classic mode by pressing G? Does the game engine still run faster? Can you link the new calculators with the caps removed?

Yes, it's still running faster. Video here: https:/ /warren1001.github.io/MrLlamaSCStreamInfo/IAS%20Calculator/

Remove the blank behind https:/, I added it because I don't want the video being in here directly and the forum's artificial stupidity would do that otherwise.

Edit: Nonsense removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: damric
Oh yes, the chu-ko-nu! BTW: In 1.09, the casting of lightning and chain lightning depended on weapon base speed and IAS in a similar manner IIRC, so it was common for lightning sorcs to wear 5 shael chu-ko-nus. These days, a fanaticism aura is better than 5 shaels because it improves EIAS which reduces the breakpoints themselves. Add in burst of speed, a 20% IAS coronet with 3 IAS jewels, an armor with 4 IAS jewels, Cat's Eye, 20% IAS gloves and a 10%IAS belt (like Goldwrap or Nos' Coil) for a total of 175%IAS. Let's see (German IAS calculator with breakpoint caps lifted):

View attachment 71350

33% missing for 4 fpa, hmmm...

I don't think there is an item that offers fire blast charges, so a paladin with a higher-level fanaticiam aura could perhaps reach the 4 frames breakpoint, right?
Ok, so you can get fanaticism from your act 1 faith mercenary. Then, use a shael'ed chu-ko-nu and level 31 burst of speed from skillers, treachery, etc. and I think you can get 6.25 attacks per second.

Do we have any proof of cap being lifted or just speculation based on display refresh rates? Is the underlying game running faster?

Would the cap go away for classic zealot as well (zeal+fanatism)? It's easy to hit max frame attack without much IAS right now (assuming your base weapon is very fast) so wondering if they can go beyond the previous limit.

There are videos about it on Youtube. In many cases you need hacked gear on SP in order to reach the new breakpoints, but some are easily achievable, like trap laying with a fast weapon. All you need is a speed -30 claw (greater/runic talons), a few points in burst of speed and a bit IAS.

there was a youtuber (mrllamasc I think) got fury down to 1 frame, the only attack that did anything was the last swing

There are videos about it on Youtube. In many cases you need hacked gear on SP in order to reach the new breakpoints, but some are easily achievable, like trap laying with a fast weapon. All you need is a speed -30 claw (greater/runic talons), a few points in burst of speed and a bit IAS.
A little late to this party, but yea, the EIAS cap was removed. My Kicksin is doing a 2-frame DT (with just 50ias/lvl26BoS). With all of her CB, it's a bit funny how quickly the biggest dudes fall.

I think I'm gonna tool around with a Fendazon next. I heard they had implemented some quasi-fixes to NHAM. That combined with a 3-frame attack could actually make that build finally viable.

Reactions: superdave and Nokk
A little late to this party, but yea, the EIAS cap was removed. My Kicksin is doing a 2-frame DT (with just 50ias/lvl26BoS). With all of her CB, it's a bit funny how quickly the biggest dudes fall.

I think I'm gonna tool around with a Fendazon next. I heard they had implemented some quasi-fixes to NHAM. That combined with a 3-frame attack could actually make that build finally viable.
Please report back on your findings, I'm very curious about Fendazon

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High