Can't Seem to get support from Blizzard Soooo....

Can someone try pinging me again, I am trying something that the comcast tech support suggested. He claims that there is nothing on thier end that stops incoming traffic.

I can say with 100% certainty...

Don't call comcast. I know...

I used to work for them.

They will say that the only ports they block are the ones assigned for RPC traffic as a result of the blaster worm (per the Homeland Security advisory).

Also, here's an active ip address on the same subnet that does acknowledge ICMP:

Pinging 68.42.128.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.42.128.1: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=244
Reply from 68.42.128.1: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=244
Reply from 68.42.128.1: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=244
Reply from 68.42.128.1: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 68.42.128.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 73ms, Maximum = 171ms, Average = 107ms

You say you have Norton Antivirus...

Is it really Norton Antivirus...or is it Norton Internet Security?

We'll get this straightened out eventually.

Yes it is, or rather was Nortan Anti-Virus. Any ideas will be helpful, and I'll be checking here every10 or so minutes (or less) while I do some serious yelling at comcast.. pardon me a few moments.

If you check the box to turn the firewall off, it stays off until you unchcek it. As far as I know you can only turn it on and off via the Control Panel -> Network Connections route.

Ping timeout for me too.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Atreides>ping 68.42.128.244

Pinging 68.42.128.244 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 68.42.128.244:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Atreides>

Blizzard have a solution for issues with the XP firewall!

Configuring Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall

Opening the Internet Connection Firewall:
Click on the Start button.
Click on Control Panel.

Depending on which Desktop Style you have chosen to use, follow the appropriate directions below:
Windows XP default desktop:
Click on Network and Internet Connections
Now click on Network Connections.

Windows Classic desktop:
Click on Network Connections
Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.
On the Properties page, click on Advanced

If you do not have a check in the Internet Connection Firewall enable box, it is not yet installed and you should consult your Microsoft documentation for any help needed in enabling it.

Adding a service:
Click the Settings box.
By default all the provided services are disabled. Adjust according to your needs. Again, consult your documentation for explanations on each if needed.

Description of Service:
Click on the Add button.
We now need to add a service and need to fill in the blanks.
The Description of Service is simply that. For our example, we are using Blizzard-1

Finding the Computer Name:
The Name or IP address is next and you will probably want to use your computer’s name, which can be obtained by checking the Computer Name button under the System Properties display.
This is done by Clicking on the Start button, selecting Control Panel, and Clicking on Performance and Maintenance.
Click on System.
Once the System Properties page is displayed, click on the Computer Name tab.

This will indicate your Full Computer Name which may include a domain at the end. This can be left off when entering the name in the Service Description.

Adding Port Information:
The external and internal ports will contain the same number for our example. We will be adding 18 unique entries. Each of the following ports needs to be added:

They each need to be added once with the TCP box checked and once with the UDP box checked for a total of 18 entries. Continue adding the ports listed above until you are finished. You should now be able to connect and be connected to using any Blizzard game.
For more information about the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall, please visit: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283673

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0549p

Edit: You only need 4000 and 6112 for Diablo 2 you need all of them for Diablo or Warcraft.

Dark Matter said:
C:\Documents and Settings\Atreides>

Yayy.. another Dune fan. :)

<deleted question>

As for ZoneAlarm, I used to have it and was very happy with it. But I have heard the shareware version installs spyware. I needed the router anyway, so I picked one up and got rid of the s/w firewall. My D-Link cost me $50 CDN, which is about the same price as a retail software firewall. Also it provides future expansion to your home PCs to share one internet connection. Just a thought if you want better protection (a good firewall is HIGHLY recommended for anyone with a permament connection to the internet).

EDIT: Dark Matter posted the ports you needed.

Hopefully what Dark Matter is suggesting works for you. I wouldn't yell at comcast, I really don't think its their fault. Other ips on your subnet can respond to both ping and tracert.

luskan said:
Yayy.. another Dune fan. :)

But I have heard the shareware version installs spyware.

Is there a Shareware version? The freeware doesn't add spyware - it doesn't even have advertising liKe Incredimail for example.

Yes I'm a Dune fan btw :)

Kardiophylax said:
Hopefully what Dark Matter is suggesting works for you. I wouldn't yell at comcast, I really don't think its their fault. Other ips on your subnet can respond to both ping and tracert.
No, what I'm going to be yelling at them about isn't so much the connection issue, but rather the fact that thier service tech is now going to be costing me 70 bucks thanks to my stupid rear listining to his tech support advice. Namely, he thought that the auto protect from nortan antivirus was causing the problem. His suggestion, uninstall and reinstall. I explained that I did not believe that I could reinstall since it would require me to do a system restore *built in sys restore*. He instructed me that I could easily re-install the Norton Anti-Virus 2003 for free from the Symatic Website. Being the gullable idiot I can be I believed him... Well guess what, it was a lie. So now I get to spend another hour on the phone with Compaq figuring out how to pull the norton antivirus up out of the hardrive's build in system restore.

By the way, from what Comcast could see they are pinging me fine past that IP now... don't know what they did tho. Going to try hosting a game, let me know if you can get in.

IP 68.42.128.244

Dark Matter said:
Is there a Shareware version? The freeware doesn't add spyware - it doesn't even have advertising liKe Incredimail for example.

Yes I'm a Dune fan btw :)

Should have said Freeware, my mistake. It was probably just a rumor, but better safe than sorry. The nice thing about having it on the router is that you only need to configure it once for all PCs, plus it survives a HDD crash/format without having to backup the settings.

Well he should of just disabled the auto protect and ended the norton processes through task manager rather then uninstalling the product. It's not your fault for trying to follow his advice but I understand now why you are irritated with them.

I am still getting a ping timeout from your ip however.

Okay... theres only one box for internal and one box for external ports... how do I do 18 different ones? Simple english please :xsmile3:

Edit :: I added each set of 4000 and 6112 in as seperate entries, I.E. Blizzard-1, Blizzard-2, Blizzard-3, and Blizzard-4. Is that the correct way or will it work?

Heckling Comcast won't do you a lick of good, trust me ;)

I honestly don't think they have anything to do with it either.

Here's another example of a Comcast customer in your local area who IS pingable:

Pinging 68.42.128.206 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=155ms TTL=115
Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=115
Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=115
Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=215ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 68.42.128.206:
Minimum = 75ms, Maximum = 215ms, Average = 159ms

If they are pingable by default, then network ICMP is not ******** in any way by local routers, transparent proxies or any other means.

And by that rationale, if they are....you are.

There is most likely a cause on your system which we will need to discover.

Mammon said:
Heckling Comcast won't do you a lick of good, trust me ;)

I honestly don't think they have anything to do with it either.

Here's another example of a Comcast customer in your local area who IS pingable:

Pinging 68.42.128.206 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=155ms TTL=115
Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=115
Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=115
Reply from 68.42.128.206: bytes=32 time=215ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 68.42.128.206:
Minimum = 75ms, Maximum = 215ms, Average = 159ms

If they are pingable by default, then network ICMP is not ******** in any way by local routers, transparent proxies or any other means.

And by that rationale, if they are....you are.

There is most likely a cause on your system which we will need to discover.
Okay Quick question, assuming I set up the ports thingie in the firewall right, do I need to restart Diablo II or the computer or anything of the sort before it takes effect?

Also, let me know ANY info about my computer you need to know to help me fix this. Thank you much to everyone for trying to help.

I agree with Mammon. There does not seem to be a problem with your ISP. You shouldn't have to fuss with port settings if you are unchecking the "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet" checkbox.

Theoretically, without any other software installed, your pc should be open for business.

EDIT: Perhaps Compaq has pre-installed some other piece of software that is causing you grief? With just your cable modem between your network card and the world you shouldn't be having any problems hardware firewall wise.

Dinnin Darkblade said:
Okay... theres only one box for internal and one box for external ports... how do I do 18 different ones? Simple english please :xsmile3:

Edit :: I added each set of 4000 and 6112 in as seperate entries, I.E. Blizzard-1, Blizzard-2, Blizzard-3, and Blizzard-4. Is that the correct way or will it work?

It should :)

You add once as TCP then same port again as UDP. (click on the blizzard link in my original post about the XP Firewall resolve).

You actually only need 4000 and 6112 for Diablo 2 that's 4 entries in total - you only need 18 for Warcraft 3 and Diablo.

For D2 it's:
4000 in and out TCP,
4000 in and out UDP
6112 in and out TCP and
6112 in and out UDP.

Apply and OK to all

Not sure if you need to restart your PC or not.
DM

Dark Matter said:
It should :)

You add once as TCP then same port again as UDP. (click on the blizzard link in my original post about the XP Firewall resolve).

You actually only need 4000 and 6112 for Diablo 2 that's 4 entries in total - you only need 18 for Warcraft 3 and Diablo.

For D2 it's:
4000 in and out TCP,
4000 in and out UDP
6112 in and out TCP and
6112 in and out UDP.

DM

Okay then give me a few minutes and I'll start up a game as host and see if it worked.

IP 68.42.128.244

Act 1 normal just for a test run

I'm 1.09 so didn't attempt to joinyour game - but ping is still not possible.

Port 4000 TCP is the only one you need forwarded for hosting SP TCP/IP games. All the other ports are related to BNet (closed and open) and only need to be opened if you're having problems there.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High