Back into the fold

Dudlet

Oct 10, 2021
Hi everyone,

I used to be a pretty dedicated single player back in my high school and college days (2003-2012), and haven’t event looked at the game for a long while.

I bought D2R on release, only to realise that my laptop didn’t meet the graphics requirements! I’ve been running it in classic graphics ever since.

I’d forgotten how incredibly addictive the game is, and even though I can’t run Baal and the Pits as hard as I used to, I’ve really enjoyed squeezing in a hour or two early morning and late at night.

What an incredible game that 20 years after release I still haven’t found a game that can grab me in the same way.

It’s good to be back

Welcome back. Nice to see some new faces here.

I look forward to reading more about your endeavours. What class do you prefer playing as?

Also, before I forget
*kicks shins*

Welcome!
Have you been on the old site back in the day? I am so bad at remembering names...

So you were able to install the game although your laptop didn't meet the minimum requirements? And it does run in legacy mode, it not with the new graphics? That is something... I wasn't able to install it on my desktop PC - got the message that I needed to make sure I met the minimum requirements before installation...

Anyways, good luck and have fun :)

Kartongen - my favourite class is the Barbarian, but I remember the WW Barb (my favourite) being very expensive to kit out. So I fired up a Blizzard Sorc to start building some wealth, and then built a Zealot/Smiter for running Uber Tristram (since that was never a thing back when I played I've enjoyed running it today).

Grisu - I used to mainly frequent Diinet from memory, I went by Dutes back then.
yep, the game installed fine and fires up. The image is glitchy in the remastered graphics and it crashes after 3-5 minutes. My laptop meets the RAM, processor etc. but it doesn't have a discrete graphics card. It runs fine in old school graphics - makes it feel like I've truly gone back to the original!

Out of curiosity, with the Pandemonium Events available now in SP, is there any trade value for Torches? (that was why I built the Smiter, figured it would be a good way to try and catch up!)

Kartongen - my favourite class is the Barbarian, but I remember the WW Barb (my favourite) being very expensive to kit out. So I fired up a Blizzard Sorc to start building some wealth, and then built a Zealot/Smiter for running Uber Tristram (since that was never a thing back when I played I've enjoyed running it today).
[...]
I used to have a strong aversion to the barbarian, so I have not played them much. It did change once I pkayed one following a guide (hal's conc barbarian) - barbarians just have so many utility skills, making them super fun. I remember being a little shocked when my barbarian had more keybinds than the necro I played just prior.

Oh. I was under the impression WW was a good untwinked build... Might have to go back to the drawing board a little.
Do you have any suggestion for an untwinked barbarian?

Welcome back Dudlet aka Dutes. That is interesting about the graphics vs RAM ,processor minimum requirements info. I have a different PC with no uber graphics cards but a nice processor and RAM. My old D2 PC will never met any of those D2R min specs. It at least it gives an option for people not to need a great PC to run the game.

Also I do not mind a frenzy barb for low end twinked play. I liked Oath and Lawbringer combo with some crushing blow and LL. Getting a decent but not necessarily top end weapon is easier and the teleport is not needed with movement speed.

I am sure there could some some trade value for high end torches and ther may even play some torch giveaways once after several months from the release. The key issue is without TCP/IP multiplayer, the PvP scene cannot happen in D2R and that often drives the motivation in the trading community. Also, many of the forumites are purely self found.

Reactions: Kartongen
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High