Any Charactor suggestions?

Dinnin Darkblade

Dec 20, 2003
Any Charactor suggestions?

Well my Necromancer Bone-Captin is progressing nicely on the softcore ladder here, but I find myself wanting for some melee action. I have been debating on a paladin or a barbarian centering most skills on defensive actions to keep myself alive since I do not have godly gear for either class. The builds I have been thinking about are listed below, give me your opinions on wich would be best, if either, and if they could manage to survive in hell and still kill.

Paladin Build - Defender

Defience 20
Holy Shield 20
Fire resist 10 - for passive + to max resist
Lightning Resist 10 - see fire resist
Cold Resist 10 - See fire Resist
Smite 20 - No AR issues since it hits automaticly, but were can I find dmg listings for shields.

Str - Enough for Gear, perhaps a bit more for dmg
Dex - max block
vit - everything else
Nrg - base

Barbarian - Natrual Defense Build

Iron Skin - Till deminishing Returns kick in
Natural Resist - Enough to keep Hell Resists maxed
Concentration - 20
Weapon mastery - 20, Depends on what weapon I find
Increase Speed - 10, so I can walk to keep blocking up and move at decent rate
BO - 20
War Cry - 10, this is the stunner right

Str - Gear
Dex - max blocking
vit - everything else
Nrg - base

If you have suggestions on one of these, or thing one would be better for a first time melee charactor with little to no twinkage or have another build I should consider please let me know.

My, my, aren't we obsessed with defense.

Shouldn't the barbarian utilize that Shout is a synergy to Concentration and gives defense in itself?

The barbarian would have the easiest time killing.

Another suggestion could be an avenger.

Leave Vengeance at 1 and max the synergies and Holy Shield instead. You would still have to use maxed conviction however.

Unless you get an uber shield, I don't see the smite-a-din as a very viable option. If you want to be super defensive, why not max holy shock and lightning mastery, instead of investing in smite. You can play defensively, have a nice boost to damage, and can kill efficiently up to hell simply by walking near enemies. Zap zap, thanks for the treasure!

Just my .02.

~K_P

You can see the shield dmg listed in the purediablo.com items database, I believe they are correct, though I'm still amused to see Ancient Shield as one of the paladin shields...that simply cannot be correct, unless it's another of those items that doesn't appear in the game, like Holy Water Sprinklers used to be heh..

As for the guys, well, with smite you'd propably want to get the other attack mods to use, so dress up in crushing blow setup and you'll see some nice killing speed. The paladin forum has listing for all the things that work with smite.

Can't say much about the barb, haven't tried one in 1.10...

Indemaijinj said:
My, my, aren't we obsessed with defense.

Shouldn't the barbarian utilize that Shout is a synergy to Concentration and gives defense in itself?

The barbarian would have the easiest time killing.

Another suggestion could be an avenger.

Leave Vengeance at 1 and max the synergies and Holy Shield instead. You would still have to use maxed conviction however.
I was led to believe that concentrations defense bonus lasts for so short of a time *the length of one swing* that it would be basicly worthless to count on as your major defensive booster. Is this untrue and if so how long after the initial swing does the defensive bonus last?

Dinnin Darkblade said:
I was led to believe that concentrations defense bonus lasts for so short of a time *the length of one swing* that it would be basicly worthless to count on as your major defensive booster. Is this untrue and if so how long after the initial swing does the defensive bonus last?

I started a concentration barb and took him to about level 25 before getting bored with him. Anyway, at about lvl 8 concentration the defensive effect of it was still wearing off pretty much immediatly after the swing ended. I don't think it ever changes. Basically unless you are swinging, you aren't getting the bonus.

For the sake of argument, I'll suggest that you try an Assassin, with emphesis on traps. You can use Fade as your defensive spell, along with Blade Shield, and you'll have the Shadow Master to help distract enemies. Mind Blast works wonders for crowd control, especially with its chance to convert. You would also have the option with this build of using a melee weapon when you don't feel threatened by whomever is on screen. Venom is great for dealing massive damage and running away for a second or two while it takes effect.

Equipment-wise, the Natalya's set offers a decent defense bonus, along with 30% Physical Damage Reduction, and +50 to All Resistances. The fade effect is incredibly cool as well. Before you reach the Level 79 requirement to wear the full set, you can use a Vampire Gaze and Shaftstop to great effect, especially when socketed with a decent jewel or rune for resists. You'll have the option to use a shield with your claw, as well, which gives you great opportunities for blocking and resistances.

This is a lot more than I meant to say, but I hope that I at least have you thinking about trying an Assassin. Good luck with the new character!

For the sake of argument also: make a zealot, you don't need godly equipment for it, moderate ones that can be found with relative ease are available if you just do some runs with your guy before taking on hell big time. As for getting good weapon, all you need is a Crescent Moon weapon, that's more than enough to beat hell, and it's real cheap to make too :)

Kremtok, a fine idea, but what I'm looking for is some weapon swinging skull bashing action. My skelemancer, while my favorite charactor build since I started playing DII back on B.net and now here, is about all the stand back and watch them die action I can tolorate.

Borlag, I was just out smoking and was debating a zealot with zeal and fanat to dish out fast and devistating damage that would hopefully keep things dead fast enough to prevent me from getting hit.

Well, personally there's no other build that even comes close to the zealot for me, I've patted 28 zealots so far trying to come up with the perfect zealot, currently it's a lean and mean killing machine with BotD (though he doesn't need it to be efficient) axe. Amongst those 28 zealots, 2 were lvl99 in the end, though I always found some flaws in them later on, sometimes it was like "damn, I never use that skill that much, why did I raise it to that lvl?" or "damn, this new patch is cool, new runewords and all, I need less str for stuff now, time to rebuild it completely" :lol:

well, actually I always rebuild all my guys for new patches but anyway, point is, I like 'em. And if you have anything unclear about them, I can propably answer to all your questions and more :)

Borlag said:
Well, personally there's no other build that even comes close to the zealot for me, I've patted 28 zealots so far trying to come up with the perfect zealot, currently it's a lean and mean killing machine with BotD (though he doesn't need it to be efficient) axe. Amongst those 28 zealots, 2 were lvl99 in the end, though I always found some flaws in them later on, sometimes it was like "damn, I never use that skill that much, why did I raise it to that lvl?" or "damn, this new patch is cool, new runewords and all, I need less str for stuff now, time to rebuild it completely" :lol:

well, actually I always rebuild all my guys for new patches but anyway, point is, I like 'em. And if you have anything unclear about them, I can propably answer to all your questions and more :)
Okay then, how does this sound skill wise for a basic fanatic Zealot?

20 zeal
20 fanat
20 holy shield
1 Vengence
1 pre-req's

Is there some sort of something I'm over looking that I shouldn't aside from the 1 point wonders like redemption? Fanat. for IAS/AR/Dmg, Zeal for main attack, Holy Shield to save on dex, and the one point vengence for PI immunes. Does Zeal even need to be maxed with Fanat as main aura? Should I even use Fanat?

Spook_Cell said:
You should also max sacrifice since it's give a dmg bonus to zeal.

I agree, putting points in sacrifice gives a bigger damage increasement than putting it into zeal... the disadvantage is that you dont get the AR increasement when raising sacrifice.
My suggestion is zeal untill maximum hits (6 as well as i remember), then max sacrifice and then max zeal.

Dinnin Darkblade said:
Okay then, how does this sound skill wise for a basic fanatic Zealot?

20 zeal
20 fanat
20 holy shield
1 Vengence
1 pre-req's

Is there some sort of something I'm over looking that I shouldn't aside from the 1 point wonders like redemption? Fanat. for IAS/AR/Dmg, Zeal for main attack, Holy Shield to save on dex, and the one point vengence for PI immunes. Does Zeal even need to be maxed with Fanat as main aura? Should I even use Fanat?

Like others have said, add maxed sacrifice. As for zeal maxed...definitely, you need the AR, one interesting option could be to add to Blessed aim as it gives a passive AR bonus of 5%, so you might want to give it a thought. I chose to max zeal since it gave me more damage along with the AR.

Also at later levels you could think about maxing vengeance also but remember that this requires lvl97 paladin to accomplish with the other skills maxed aswell, so you really don't need to worry about it right now.

Borlag said:
Like others have said, add maxed sacrifice. As for zeal maxed...definitely, you need the AR, one interesting option could be to add to Blessed aim as it gives a passive AR bonus of 5%, so you might want to give it a thought. I chose to max zeal since it gave me more damage along with the AR.

Also at later levels you could think about maxing vengeance also but remember that this requires lvl97 paladin to accomplish with the other skills maxed aswell, so you really don't need to worry about it right now.

Okay so I'm looking at

20 Zeal : AR and Dmg
20 Holy Shield : Def and Blocking
20 Fana : AR, Dmg, and Speed
1 Vengence : Physical Immunes Does this deal phys dmg? If not for Iron Maiden curse as well
1 Redemption : Quick Heal and corpse removal
20 Sacrifice : Synergy bonus

End Game points : Spent on Vengence
1 in all pre-reqs

I'll have to do some calculations on a mid lvl Ryme Word Paladin Shield to figure out optimal dex for max block with a shield w/70% blocking after Ryme is socketed and accounting for max Holy Shield.

Only real problem I see with getting a Ryme Word shield is I seem to find nothing by 3 socket Paladin shields. Normally not a problem but in this case it is.

Well all that is left is for me to go cruise the Paladin forums and see if they have the zeal + Fanata speed break points re-posted yet. That and do some normal Meph, then Baal runs with my necromancer to get some low lvl gear for this Zealot. And think of a good name.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High