Account Hacked - anybody else?

Troubadour

Sep 6, 2006
Account Hacked - anybody else?

I haven't played in over two months (logged on a few weeks ago to keep the account active). Anyway, I logged on again tonight to keep the account active and lo and behold...my main characters were all stripped of their goodies (self-found griffs, coa, mara's among them).

It's not the Blizz bot because most of the items were self found and only the good items/runes were all taken, and only on the main account. Somebody obviously knew my password and got in easily. I can't think of any other explanation.

Just wondering if anybody else experienced the same thing recently. Thanks!

Probably had someone "close" to you know your password or you were using 3rd party programs.

Lots of people have experienced the same thing recently. Sorry about your loss.

Probably had someone "close" to you know your password or you were using 3rd party programs.

Only two of my close friends know of my password. It definitely isn't them as we all stopped playing together (2 months ago).

Would a loader constitute as a 3rd party program? I used it along with 2 legit cd-keys so that I could open two instances at the same time. That's about it.

Lots of people have experienced the same thing recently. Sorry about your loss.

No need to be sorry - I don't care about the loss of the account at all. The only thing that I AM slightly worried about is how somebody could figure out my password and how it could possibly apply to other, more serious situations where it would matter.

Thanks for the replies though. I appreciate them.

Did you have the same password on BNet as on here or another forum?

Sometimes I use the same one depending on what it is. I have a different user name here - would that matter?

There's a theory that that's why people are getting hacked, that someone hacked into a forum and took those passwords.

Weird, I hadn't being playing for a couple months either. Same deal, I logged in one day to find it all gone. No third party progs for me though and no one knew my pass. I did use the same pass as here though, hell I used it for everything. Always had, ever since I first logged onto the internet. Live and learn I guess. It must take a special kind of loser to hack someone over a video game though. In my case though, I have it narrowed down to a certain time frame of when it occurred. I'm just not sure what means they used to get my pass info. I'm checking with my ISP though, to see if it was indeed done through my email. So we'll see.......

I think the theory is right. I logged on to my friends' accounts and theirs are both intact (I am the only one that peruses these forums). It's good to know that it can be so easily cracked - it serves as a reminder to myself and everybody out there.

Out of all the accounts hacked posts, I think the most likely scenario is the forum account password being the same as your bnet account password. Moral of the story, don't use the same password for different places, cus if one place gets hacked/broken into. you could be compromised at many places.

I think the theory is right. I logged on to my friends' accounts and theirs are both intact (I am the only one that peruses these forums). It's good to know that it can be so easily cracked - it serves as a reminder to myself and everybody out there.
Just out of curiosity: did you register your account to a hotmail account?

Either out of sheer dumb luck or the idiotic passwords I use, I have never, ever had my account(s) hacked or looted. I've played spordically since 2001. Oh, and I don't use third party SW/hacks/plugins.

Just out of curiosity: did you register your account to a hotmail account?

I registered the forum account to a gmail address. I did not register my b.net account for password recovery.

I understand that having the same password would compromise my account. However, how would the hacker even know my account name to begin with? And how about my mule accounts which were under different names? Those were left completely intact.

I registered the forum account to a gmail address. I did not register my b.net account for password recovery.

I understand that having the same password would compromise my account. However, how would the hacker even know my account name to begin with? And how about my mule accounts which were under different names? Those were left completely intact.
Maybe you traded with him? Or were in the same game? no clue really :( sorry

I just read your note :(. I guess the only way of having prevented him from taking at least some of your items is, you had opened a game, asked a friend to hold it and strip your own chars (or whatever chars were left by then) and mule your gear to a new account

It was way too sudden for that, besides i dont think people understand that i couldnt join games at all while he was online. I couldnt join/create any games, so it was done for to begin with.

killian27: Genius! Hahaha....

MapleBarb: The last time I logged on prior to yesterday was two months ago so I do not know when the account was hacked into. I also did not see any error messages last night when I logged on - I tried inputting an incorrect password and the "failed logon" disappears after you log on successfully again.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High