A Safe Pit Runner?

xxljotkkalxx

Dec 9, 2003
A Safe Pit Runner?

So my friend found a ethereal 6 socket CB in a pit run..so I got excited and went into a 2 ppl game..entered the Pit (my first time ever)..and I run into a mob of light immune archers..and before I know, my blue orb is drained all the way, and so is my red orb. Yup, my char died...with 900 life/1000 mana..i guess no-block really killed me...

So I was wondering..what's a good/safe character that can clear out the pit relatively fast in low-ppl games but most importantly be very safe?

You can make a successful pit runner necro very easily with no good items.

My level 82 is using a shopped spiked shield of deflecting
rare resist helm
resist ammy
gull - used to be a rare necro wand til I found gul in outer cloister
tearhaunch for resists
twitchthroe - just found 4 socket wyrmhide so I switched it out
frosties
rare ring with resists
nagel
rare belt with some resists

I actually played through the bloody foothills solo with this stuff as well. I have +1 to summons on my helm, but no other + skills items. My charms are all crappy as well. My points are mostly in skellies and the mastery, CE, 1 in curses and bone armor and wall. I was set up with max block using twitchthroe, but it's not necessary in the pit IMO.

Mine is

Max Skelly
Max Summon
Max Spirit
1 Revive
1 most curses
3-5 CE
Rest in Bone Wall and Prison

What is available to revive in Act 1 is either slow, slow attacing or doesnt hit well so they arent real usefull.

Spirit is optional, I dont use it a lot but when there is a nasty boss it helps to get a body faster or dispatch wiht the boss quicker. Some of the bosses that spawn him there can start picking off skellies without BO rather quick and it is Nices to be able to kill one with your attack. Some will smoke a Merc pretty quick also if he doesnt have great gear which mine does not.

I use and UMEs which isnt much better than possible shopped wands
Ward Pdiamond
Saphire Helm
Rare Rez/MF glooves
Durys Shell
Aldurs Boots
Resist rings and belt
+2 summon ammy

On switch I have a Skull Collecter which sends my resists into the deep freezer, but I left the Skelleis "coral" the foes and then switch. Keep shied and wand out when on the move, turning corners, things like that and switch when safe.

He runs Pit, Moseleum, Tower, Raka with no issues. Like i said above, sometimes things spawn that can make short work of skelleis and Merc so you need to stay on your toes. Low lvl (20-25) Skelleis are still nice, and kill well with Might Merc but they are super tanks without BO.

I havent found anything "uber" yet but I have found many charms, and a number of decent items as well as some crafting items. Many rares that are Eleite fall just none have spawned well yet. Had several Exceptional Uniques also, and Eleite whites and greys fall frequently.

necros are the safest by far but...if u have good gear i would go fury/plague jav zon just 4 the speed that u can clear the pit. My zon has around 1300 life/25 dr/max resists/75% block/250 mf and i have only had 1 close call in around 100 or so runs....and that was just because i was stupid and desided to stay in the pit when i was amped. Just make sure u have a good merc . My plague java isnt high so my merc and valk kill all the lightning immune archers and i just help a little with plague and slow missile.

I've heard that necros are good and I would assume they are. I personally recommend a javazon, I know there are lit immunes down there but..I just dislike necros very much. I can do a full pit run in about 2-4 minutes. So far I have found..a few items that are worthy although I can't think of them at the moment lol...

I love necros and all, but as a runner I found them to be tedious (for running) because you have to keep the army going and build and army and the stupid army has trouble getting around. I even tried teleporting around and it got to be expensive. Not only that, once you put MF on the necro it really hurts his cast rate and that equals potential death.

What I've found to be quick and ugly is a Frozen Orb sorc, with static. There are plenty of cold immunes down there, while the things that really hurt are Fire and Lightning immune (i.e., archers, swarms of Devilkins). I rigged my merc up appropriately for killing and I static down the cold immunes.

It works for me.

One thing I'm working on is a Bowazon for the pit. Equipped properly those things are still efficient killers.

duneforever said:
I've heard that necros are good and I would assume they are. I personally recommend a javazon, I know there are lit immunes down there but..I just dislike necros very much. I can do a full pit run in about 2-4 minutes. So far I have found..a few items that are worthy although I can't think of them at the moment lol...

I was planning on making a java/strafe hybrid for the pit. After finally getting an ok bow for lightning immunes (Buriza) I started running the pit.

I soon found out that strafe was not the way to go. I havent used strafe since I played my first ama years ago. What a total waste of points. If I had to go bow, I'd do multi instead, no doubt.

I figured I had to start all over, since I only had lightening based attack left (LF). I think not. Lightening fury rules in the pit. With a decent damage spear, you easily dispatch all lightning immunes as well. Problem is that its very mana costy. 2-3 trips to town each run to recharge the spear and stock up on potions, but hey, who is complaining :)

With a holy freeze merc, decoy and a good valkyrie I'm never in danger.

I've got no gear to brag about either. All mf gear with around 350 defence.

-Mak

I used to use my necro, but it was kind of slow. My Death Sentry Trapsin clears the pit really fast. Barb merc (with dmg reduced by gear) and Max Shadow Master tank really well.

1) walk-in COS, so no archers shoot me, and everything stops moving
2) MB once or twice each mob so they start fighting each other
3) toss in 1 or 2 DS (with max synergies) into each mob, retreat to the back, and pop pop pop, half the place is dead
4) now that there are bodies everywhere, move to middle of chamber, cast new COS (if needed), toss in some fresh DS, and the remaining monters go pop. Never even get near the CE, FE, or LE bosses.

Whole process takes like 30-60 seconds is really safe because you don't have to be able see the monsters to corpse explode them with DS (unlike Necro who has to direct each CE).

The longest part is running there.

BTW, this is on HC Ladder, and my equipment sucks too (4 ptopaz armor), rares, etc. Only good item I equipped her with is 1 Bartuc.

Yes, my javazon does pit runs nicely.

The only pain is lightning immunes. Which are always (and only) the archers.

Fortunately for a javazon, slow missles works great on the archers. Then my lvl 17 valk and my HF merc kill them quickly. I usually throw a decoy in there as a distraction. With the exception that if its a hard-hitting boss pack, they still kill my merc pretty quick.

I eventually took to trying 'dim vision' and 'confuse' wands to break up the boss-pack lightning immunes into manageable groups for my merc + valk to survive better. It seemed to work pretty well, even boss packs weren't much worse than normal lightning immunes then. (Don't forget to cast slow missle of course).

What REALLY helped was equipping my merc with a rare ethereal pole-class weapon that does like 300-615 dmg (or something like that). I had to socket it with Amn to help him out as well. Now he does 2000+ damage per hit with 7% life leech now.

In addition to being my lightning immune dispatcher, he is my main boss killer, I help him with a lifetap wand for baal/diablo/etc. With his 4-topaz armor, and his 35% crushing blow helm he can kill most act bosses without dying and together we have great MF (about 200 on me and 100 on him). This is with NM act bosses - I haven't tried most hell bosses in MF runs - (hell andy kicked his butt, but I'm going to try venom ward + lifetap on him for killing her). Lol, an actual use for venom ward!

All in all though, I've found my javazon kills eld/shenk in hell a lot faster than pit runs. The experience comes 10 times faster at least at lvl 82/83 just doing eld/shenk. And of course the item drops are fairly good from those two (as everyone knows).

duneforever said:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High