A few Questions from my paladin build

KStuart

Nov 15, 2008
A few Questions from my paladin build

I'm slowly working may way thru Hell with my freezealot and seem to be doing ok with the odd areas causing trouble until i figure out better tactics, usually hit and run to recover then go and do it again. Hopefully dragging a few monsters with me to make things easier.

Ideally I could do with some means that stops the rot walkers coming back to life so i assume slain monsters rest in peace works here although i dont know what i need to have that mod.

Charcter is setup as below

Name: Daniela
Class: Paladin
Experience: 1016511926
Level: 84

Naked/Gear
Strength: 155/215
Dexterity: 120/153
Vitality: 225/225
Energy: 15/15
HP: 881/895
Mana: 139/233
Stamina: 372/372
Defense: 30/1865
AR: 585/950

Fire: 89
Cold: 94
Lightning: 83
Poison: 65

MF: 42 Block: 55
GF: 21
FR/W: 30
FHR: 30
IAS: 20
FCR: 0

Blocking is 75% after Holy Shield

Skills
Zeal 20/22
Holy Freeze 20/21
Resist Cold 20/23
Salvation 17/20
Holy Shield 7/9
Sacrifice 5/7

Equipment

Moser's Blessed Circle
Round Shield
Defense: 162
Chance to Block: 67%
Smite Damage: 7 to 14
Durability: 63 of 64
Required Strength: 53
Required Level: 31
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xfa1d8fe2
+191% Enhanced Defense
+25% Increased Chance of Blocking
All Resistances +63
30% Faster Block Rate
Socketed (2: 2 used) With 2 P Diamonds

Griswold's Heart
Ornate Plate
'RalKo'
Defense: 926
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 102
Required Level: 45
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0xcf2bfdd
+20 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
+500 Defense
Fire Resist +30%
Lightning Resist +17%
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
Requirements -40%
+2 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
Socketed (3: 3 used) With a Ral, a Ko, and a Ambergris jewel of Malice

Raven Tread
Scarabshell Boots
Defense: 103
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 91
Required Level: 49
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x118f36d6
+57% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +16%
30% Faster Run/Walk
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Nova when struck
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds

Venom Grip
Demonhide Gloves
Defense: 110
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 29
Item Level: 57
Fingerprint: 0xe6f2328a
+138% Enhanced Defense
+25 Defense
Poison Resist +30%
+5% to Maximum Poison Resist
+59 poison damage over 4 seconds
5% Life stolen per hit
5% Chance of Crushing Blow

Immortal King's Detail
War Belt
Defense: 142
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 110
Required Level: 29
Item Level: 84
Fingerprint: 0xeb668a33
+25 to Strength
+36 Defense
Fire Resist +28%
Lightning Resist +31%

***Partial Set Item Bonuses***
+105 Defense
25% Faster Hit Recovery
+100% Enhanced Defense
Damage Reduced by 20%
+2 to Masteries Skills (Barbarian Only)
***Partial Set Item Bonuses***

Guillaume's Face
Winged Helm
Defense: 217
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Strength: 115
Required Level: 34
Item Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0x26b75798
+15 to Strength
+120% Enhanced Defense
24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike
Socketed (1: 1 used) P Topaz naturally

Lightsabre
Phase Blade
'Amn'
One-Hand Damage: 94 to 125
Required Dexterity: 136
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 58
Sword Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Level: 84
Fingerprint: 0x34aaf548
+173% Enhanced Damage
+10 to Minimum Damage
+30 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-200 lightning damage
Adds 60-120 magic damage
7% Life stolen per hit
7% Mana stolen per hit
+7 to Light Radius
20% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target Defense
25% Lightning Absorb
5% Chance to cast Level 17 Chain Lightning on attack
Socketed (1: 1 used) Socketed with Amn to help LL

Telling of Beads
Amulet
Required Level: 30
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0xe7e90810
Cold Resist +18%
Poison Resist +37%
Attacker Takes Damage of 10
+1 to All Skill Levels

Raven Frost
Ring
Required Level: 45
Item Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0xeff177c4
+19 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+200 to Attack Rating
Adds 15-45 cold damage over 4 seconds
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Shadow Knot
Ring
Required Level: 37
Item Level: 66
Fingerprint: 0x64a77011
+9 to Life
+54 to Mana
Fire Resist +5%
Lightning Resist +5%
Cold Resist +17%
Poison Resist +5%
14% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

I have a second Amulet which i used if i wanted to max resists out as i have only just done the Anya quest in Hell. If there is anything liable to do a lot of poison damage i may swap it back.

Rune Gorget
Amulet
Required Level: 25
Item Level: 77
Fingerprint: 0x347b699e
+8 to Dexterity
+29 to Mana
Fire Resist +14%
Lightning Resist +14%
Cold Resist +14%
Poison Resist +47%
3% Mana stolen per hit

Charms

LC Lightning 13% ex Gold 21%
SC Cold 10% Life 5
SC Fire 10% MF 4%
SC Cold 11%
GC +1 combat skills 4 Dex
GC Cold 29% 3-6 cold over 1 sec
GC Lightning 24%
GC Fire 23%

Merc

Might Merc from Nightmare
Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
Death Mask
Defense: 104
Durability: 12 of 20
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 66
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0xa1ed0150
+60 to Life
+30 to Mana
+45 Defense
All Resistances +15
10% Life stolen per hit
10% Mana stolen per hit

Shaftstop
Mesh Armor
Defense: 674
Durability: 24 of 45
Required Strength: 92
Required Level: 38
Item Level: 68
Fingerprint: 0x408ebd10
+60 to Life
+215% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Damage Reduced by 30%

Ghoul Bar
Lance
Two-Hand Damage: 75 to 318
Durability: 17 of 25
Required Dexterity: 88
Required Strength: 110
Required Level: 38
Spear Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x7e67518b
+179% Enhanced Damage
+178 to Attack Rating
Required Level +5
40% Increased Attack Speed

Mercs resistances are 63% across the board.

The character is single player offline although if i find something useable with a different character i cna swap items via ATMA, it is also RWM enabled and i know it works as i made a spirit monarch which isn't useful for this character as the resist all is too low.

Since i found the lightsabre over christmas killing speed is better via higher damage and faster hits, the ITD is great too as it means i can ignore Dex until Holy Shield cant boost it high enough.

I have no high runes, i think the highest i have is a Lem or Lum which ever is rarer as i have three off the other. So currently runewords may be an issue. I think i have what is needed for treachery although resists seem to be ok now.

Probably going to do some Eldritch/Shenk and Pindle runs to see if i am lucky and probably move thru the Glacial River area out to the waypoint before the ancients. Skill placement wise 3 more level ups to finish Salvation then Sacrifice to boost physical damage.

Re: A few Questions from my paladin build

Personally I'd do sacrifice before salvation, the salv synergy is pretty weak, and upping your physical damage helps your leech.

I think treachery is your best immediate upgrade. It isn't just about the fade proc, the IAS and venom proc are great too. Gris armor is pretty not good, plus pallys just look stylish with fade.

As far as what to farm... whatever you can kill quickly and easily. Since you don't have teleport I wouldn't do meph runs. Chaos runs are on the table if you're beefy enough. The only cold immunes in chaos are the mages, and they're never physical immune (even when stoneskin). The most important factor for being able to farm chaos is 75 fire resist.

The Venom triggering would essentially mean permanent level 15 venom in operation as it lasts 3 mins roughly and is triggered 1/4 hits adding 300 poison damage too.

The Fade would presumably be similar??? At least when its triggered resists would be no problem as its +60%.

Ideally a nice Mara's would boost things nicely, and yes i had been sticking points into Sacrifice to boost physical damage.

For the physical damage i do ATMA says Lightsabre does 94-125 so a ave of 110 approx per hit. Zeal boosts this by 168% but is the LL based on the weapon damage or the weapon damage after Zeal (and Strength too) bonues? Quite a difference between 12% of 110 on ave and 12% of 300 or so damage after Zeal/Strength.

The LL is based on the actual physical damage you do, after all modifiers (including monster physical resistance/immunity) - and the monster's drain effectiveness. So for example a death mauler has 75% drain effectiveness and 33% physical resistance. If you have 12% damage and hit it for 500 physical damage, you will do 335 damage because of its physical resist. You would leech 12% of that or 40.2 life, but it has 75% drain effectiveness, so that gets cut down to 30.15 life leeched.

30 life leeched per hit aint bad as there are 5 hits ;)

I forgot to factor in the mercs might too which @ lvl 17 is 200% currently so i'm hitting for roughly 900 damage and being a lot of things in hell are 50% phys res thats 450 before drain effectiveness factors in.

Had to laugh earlier as it seems you can have a negative chill effect which seems ridiculous to me as 0 means cant be frozen so god knows what a negative value is meant to mean.

I think the next few weeks will be some shenk/eldritch/pindle runs only as i have the SPF character vanity challenge to do.

Make spirit in a pally shield, you don't need a monarch.
For example, this is one I have

Spirit
Superior Akaran Targe
'TalThulOrtAmn'
Defense: 117
Chance to Block: 30%
Smite Damage: 12 to 16
Durability: 22 of 22
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 44
Required Level: 26
Item Level: 71
Fingerprint: 0xf33c44d8
+22 to Vitality
+97 to Mana
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Fire Resist +45%
Lightning Resist +80%
Cold Resist +80%
Poison Resist +80%
Increase Maximum Durability 12%
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
55% Faster Hit Recovery
28% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to All Skill Levels
+4 Magic Absorb
Socketed (4: 4 used)

If i actually had one of those i would do ;) There aren't that many shields that can have the 4 sockets i need for spirit. Sods law says i find a suitable one the same run i get Herald of Zakarum.

If i actually had one of those i would do ;) There aren't that many shields that can have the 4 sockets i need for spirit. Sods law says i find a suitable one the same run i get Herald of Zakarum.

Actually all pally shields can have 4 sockets. The only exception is if they are dropped by extremely low level monsters and the 4 sockets is outside the ilvl, but that is only a concern in normal difficulty. If you get a white one with decent resists, larzuk will put 4 sockets in it.

Are there any cube recipes to stick sockets into items like Larzuk? Could take a while to find a suitable paly shield and then find a character with a spare Larzuk to use too.

tal+amn+pruby adds sockets, but it doesn't guarantee four. It is random, although it has a 50% chance to roll 4 sockets (it rolls 1-6, then caps a 5 or 6 roll down to 4)

Ta for the info, had managed to find the 3 P Gems rerolls GC's one which hasn't been that useful as i dont have any need for a defensive aura skiller :( I think its on a FHR reroll currently. Lord knows how often it rolls skillers but its ilvl is 80 so i know they can be done.

There a minimum ilvl to get a skiller either with or without extras?

Now to hope for a nice paly shield to drop with resists that i can roll (repeatedly until i get 4 sockets i presume?) for a second spirit shield.

Now to hope for a nice paly shield to drop with resists that i can roll (repeatedly until i get 4 sockets i presume?) for a second spirit shield.
It only works on clean shields, so if your first roll isn't 4 sockets you're out of luck. That's why I suggested larzuk.

well getting a Hel rune from Hell Hellforge i fancy my luck being good this time.... Either way i first need a suitable shield and then either a character with a larzuk ready to use or a shot via the cube

According to your gear you have a phase blade with no added IAS which with Zeal hits 214 times per minute. Ditch the Venom Grip gloves and the Immortal King's Belt and add:

Sigon's Belt
Defense: 8-11 (varies)
Defense: (10-206) - (13-209) (varies)(Base Defense: 8-11)
Required Level: 6
Required Strength: 60
Durability: 24
16 boxes
Fire Resist +20%
+20 to Life

Sigon's Gloves
Defense: 12-15 (varies)
Required Level: 6
Required Strength: 60
Durability: 24
+20 to Attack Rating
+10 to Strength

Set bonuses for the Sigon's
+ (2 Per Character Level) 2-198 To Defense (Based On Character Level) (2 Items) (would add 168 defense)
30% Increased Attack Speed (2 Items)
10% life leech

You would lose a little bit of defense, some resists and the 5% crushing blow, but would save 27 strength (81 life if put in Vitality), and increase life leech, and IAS (damage output). With that faster attack your would get a 21% damage increase to 259 attacks per minute (with 21% more leeching as well). I second magicrectangle's recommendation of Treachery armor which would cure your resist problems. Coupled with the Sigon's parts you would get the fastest Zeal breakpoint possible in the game, 313 attacks per minute or 46% more damage than you are currently dishing out. Obviously there is better gear out there, but for your situation a Treachery and improved IAS will help a ton.

As for the reviving Rot Walkers, other than Nature's Peace applying cold damage to shatter them really is the next best way to kill them. It sounds like your problem is that you can't kill a group fast enough to move on before they revive. If you increase your damage output and kill faster then you can be gone before they revive.

Lightsabre has 20% IAS as a mod.

I dont own either of those Sigon's items unfortunatly. I do however now have a 4 socket Kraken Shell armor which would make a nice Chains of Honor base or if i wanted to really boost defence levels Stone. Naturally i need the runes first :(

Fortitude would be better than Chains of Honor to perhaps with its enhanced damage boosting physical damage? Always a tricky one to tell, Chains of Honor would increase damage more overall i guess with its +2 skills but most of that would be in cold damage.

Problem with the Rot Walkers is more the buggers gang up on you and charge attack you thru the ones you are already attacking :(.

Sigon isn't a bad suggestion but, you'd be better off adding IK gloves instead of subtracting the belt (add the boots too, if you got 'em). The resists on the belt are nice, and you get 25% ias from the gloves, as well as lots of strength, dex, and AR (AR is pretty important for a freezer).

Fortitude would give you vastly, vastly more damage than chains of honor. It isn't even remotely close, and it doesn't matter that holy freeze is your primary aura. Fortitude adds to (rather than multiplying) aura/skill damage, so it is just as good for a freezer as it is for a fanatic.

But since you don't have the runes, don't hold out for pie in the sky. Treachery is very, very good, and you already have the lem rune. Make treachery. With Treachery plus the 2 piece partial bonus on IK gloves you'll hit max speed (4/8) zeal. If you don't have the IK gloves, a shael in your lightsaber would also get you to max speed zeal. Lightsaber isn't exactly an end-game weapon choice for you, but socket quests are easy enough to get.

Lightsabre has ITD which makes AR irrelevant surely as it cant miss but can be blocked?? Its also socketed already with a Amn for LL reasons.

Funnily enough IK set way would be my preferred method as i already have 3 items but the other two are the maul and the helm.

ah yes forgot that bit, same as CB does less damage to bosses 1/10th instead of 1/4

I managed to find Naj's Light Plate armor tonight which has solved the resist issue rather nicely with all 4 capped out at various levels. Heck my posion resists are 118% if it wasn't for capping lol.

Now i'm continuing with Eldritch/Shenk running (mostly Eldritch as its quicker) whilst using all available cash to find either a +2 paly skill amulet or a +3 offensive aura one. I assume +3 paly skill ones aren't feasbile to find when level 86?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High