2H Melee Passivezon. Looking for tips

^depends on the dmg source. For attacks that hit you really fast but are generally weak, a small amount will make a pretty big difference. In general, iDR isn't very good, though. %DR is much better for the tougher enemies

Just check the Arreat Summit bestiary and see the damage dealt by monsters. Having 100-120 PDR at Hell effectively equals Independence Day level forcefield, and will be penetrated mostly by Extra Strong and Might/Fana bosses.

To achieve such numbers, though, you'll have to focus on finding appropriate gear pieces and socketing them with Sols. Also, shield is a really good source of PDR, and you're 2H only... dunno, do some theory-crafting.

There is no clear amount of PDR that is optimal for all characters. It depends on what you need from it. Here are some examples:

32 PDR. Your firestorm barely scratched me, Diablo! Muahahaha! Fetish darts will bounce off as well.

75 PDR. Those pesky javelineers wont trouble me now, nor will the archers that often accompany them. Now I can have some peace and quiet and focus on controlling the battle with the tougher melee monsters without those interruptions.

86 PDR. Immune to the bloodstar projectiles from sirens, so I don't need to advance into an ambush just because I can't take their artillery barrage.

Or let's move to the melee fellows. The toughest ones are supposed to deal about 180 (Ventars venom lords) according to the wiki but I am doubtful - they have always been so ineffective in my experience. Nevertheless, 180. Let's cast weaken, because everyone can obtain it cheaply and from several parts of the equipment, like gloves, so it doesn't interfere with PDR equipment. Or get a wand on the weapon switch. 180 becomes 120. 120 PDR is hard to obtain but not impossible.

That does still not account for auras and other boosts but you come a long way. PDR can be the difference between being locked into hit recovery and not, which is quite important in itself. I wrote a longer answer to your similar question in my guardian thread too, if you want to compare.

There is no clear amount of PDR that is optimal for all characters. It depends on what you need from it. Here are some examples:

32 PDR. Your firestorm barely scratched me, Diablo! Muahahaha! Fetish darts will bounce off as well.

75 PDR. Those pesky javelineers wont trouble me now, nor will the archers that often accompany them. Now I can have some peace and quiet and focus on controlling the battle with the tougher melee monsters without those interruptions.

86 PDR. Immune to the bloodstar projectiles from sirens, so I don't need to advance into an ambush just because I can't take their artillery barrage.

Or let's move to the melee fellows. The toughest ones are supposed to deal about 180 (Ventars venom lords) according to the wiki but I am doubtful - they have always been so ineffective in my experience. Nevertheless, 180. Let's cast weaken, because everyone can obtain it cheaply and from several parts of the equipment, like gloves, so it doesn't interfere with PDR equipment. Or get a wand on the weapon switch. 180 becomes 120. 120 PDR is hard to obtain but not impossible.

That does still not account for auras and other boosts but you come a long way. PDR can be the difference between being locked into hit recovery and not, which is quite important in itself. I wrote a longer answer to your similar question in my guardian thread too, if you want to compare.

The other one you wrote should be printed and framed; I can't think of a single question to follow it. We used to have a smiley face with little hearts next to it, but this will have to do.
:eek: = realization of my love
:confused: = subsequent confusion and second guessing
:oops: = as i confess my feelings for you

Cast Decrepify, and you only need 90 PDR. Plus the monsters are slower and you kill them easier.

Maybe not as easy to get as Weaken, but way better.

I love Tankazons. I find big two handed axes (Champion Axe ftw) are wonderful in both speed and damage balances. They're the best tradeoff if I recall for damage/requirements/speed/etc. Or maybe I just REALLY wanted to use one. My Tankazon used a BotD Zerker Axe and a Stormshield and I HATED every second of it. Two handed is definitely the way to go. Keep it up!

Plenty of that. Blocking plus D/A/E plus getting stunned now and again was no bueno. If I ever do another Tankazon it's going to be with a big heavy 2h Champ Axe that meets a reasonable breakpoint, and a lot of PDR gear. Don't get me wrong, it was still fun with the 1h and blocking, but great jesus do zon's block slow. And in certain areas when you have ranged coming at you like crazy and have to wade into it, blocklock is more dangerous than any gloams could ever be.

Reading through this thread makes me want to try this build. Next time a new tournament comes up, count me in for a passive zon!

Reading through this thread makes me want to try this build. Next time a new tournament comes up, count me in for a passive zon!

I was thinking the same thing. If there is enough interest, maybe it's even time to re-visit the Tankazon tourney again...

EDIT: I'd rather not de-rail this thread though, so if anyone wants to participate in a new Tankazon tourney, PM me. If there is interest I'd be more than happy to host it!

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. If there is enough interest, maybe it's even time to re-visit the Tankazon tourney again...

EDIT: I'd rather not de-rail this thread though, so if anyone wants to participate in a new Tankazon tourney, PM me. If there is interest I'd be more than happy to host it!

If I hadn't already started this I would've loved to join your tourney. Maybe I will anyway just so there's enough people involved?

Mini-update. I'm going to do a full one of Act II, and III once I kill Mephisto, but a couple strange things happened just today...I can't not post them!

Euy4rBq.jpg

My Valkyrie, with 3k hitpoints, actually started to loose health...and quickly. Can't imagine trying to go toe to toe with that pack alone.

dIwetos.jpg

I've been gambling solely amulets with my gold after I got my coronet, and with ~150% gf and an Edge runeword, that's a fair amount of amulets. Of course I also sell anything remotely valuable that drops. Even still, the best thing I had gambled was a measly Amulet of Life Everlasting with!...10PDR. This makes up for lost time.

I also found a Spineripper (7% off perfect ED even) in case the game thought I wanted to be a Daggerzon. I wish I knew what I did to please the D2 gods, because I've never had this much luck with any other character I've played. Or rather for once the good items I've found are actually relevant to my character!

3dlcXoq.jpg

After I put the amulet on, I slapped a sol into the second socket on my circlet. Even 29PDR makes a pretty big difference. Now that I've experienced it, Maltatai, I heartily agree that you're spot on with your in-depth analysis of the varying levels of PDR.

Last edited:
I guess the PDR would work in most situations. Except Hell Pindle. I've seen that guy and his minions hit at least for 500, probably much higher.

I'll add that it is even more effective when you are AMPed, because it subtracts from the dmg before it is multiplied (by 2 if you have no DR%)

If I hadn't already started this I would've loved to join your tourney. Maybe I will anyway just so there's enough people involved?

I'm cooking up something a little different right now, so you will have a couple other options if so inclined. ;)

And yikes to that Stormtree! Nasty bugger, there. Congrats as well on the finds so far, quite impressive!

That is an amazing amulet!

Yeah, and indeed a tough Stormy.
A Conviction Stormy isn't particularly fun either (especially if you have bad resists because you wear a lot of MF stuff).

Also I'm jealous of your ammy. I've been hoping for something very similar to come out of the 1.07 prismatic recipe (I have some close candidates but nothing with an extra prefix iirc)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High