[2018] Bushcraft Tournament [by DiabloTwoinDC]

Okay, I'm ready to play. Decided on a Furysin, a build I've played a couple times, but never through the game with. I think it will work well for this tourney as I'll be able to use an eth weapon, it's mana cheap, only requires 20 points so it's flexible, and the sin has some good defensive abilities. I'm at least going to try to use a two handed weapon, but if something better comes along, I'm not going to limit myself.

Code:
Player:               Name:         Level:   Version:  Class:      Build:           Date:
-------------------   ------------  ------   --------  ---------   --------------   -------
DiabloTwoinDC         Endro          20      1.13      Druid       Fissure-Ranger   2018-05-09
crawlingdeadman       Tenten         10      1.14      Assassin    Furysin          2018-05-13

Hermit was a bit shy about goiing down into the catacombs. Andariel awaited and Hermit knew that she would make him devour all his potions... and then what?

Well, this is what happened. Hermit cleared out the first level of the catacombs on P8 and had very little trouble. She actually saved up a few potions. Then at the stair going down to level 2 she dropped all extra potions and all chippies. That cleared out most of her backpack.

She headed down into level 2 at "Players 1". This was so easy that she cleared level 2 and accumulated all sorts of potions of all types. Then she decided to simply go down into level 3 on P8 and hunt for the stairway to Andariel's lair. She could not find it. She ran into big trouble with the fire balling ghouls and had to backtrack to the stairway up to level 2. She switched back to P1 and hoped that a few of the monsters did not know about the P8 session. Most of them did not remember. She finally found the way down to Andariel (after clearing all of level 3). Andariel was easy for her Ice Arrows, but nothing good dropped.

Now it was time for the quest rewards. Here is what I did (or didn't) do. No buying or selling or gambling. No using Cain to id items. I did take a Charsi embue of some heavy gloves. I did go back and forth to Andariel's lair to pick up all the gem chips and spare potions that I left there. The chippies will stay in the stash until Duriel is dead and by then Hermit will have the cube and be able to use it to improve the gems. Of course, her backpack will not be able to hold all the gems and runes she finds, but it will not be as bad as Act 1 because she will have the cube to keep gem counts down to a minimum. Oh, one other thing. Hermit finally used that skill level she received from Akara when she asked Akara to interpret the scroll of Inafuss.

Code:
Player:               Name:         Level:   Version:  Class:      Build:           Date:
-------------------   ------------  ------   --------  ---------   --------------   -------
DiabloTwoinDC         Endro          20      1.13      Druid       Fissure-Ranger   2018-05-09
Wolron                Hermit         20      1.14      Amazon      Bow              2018-05-14
crawlingdeadman       Tenten         10      1.14      Assassin    Furysin          2018-05-13

crawlingdeadman said:
Okay, I'm ready to play. Decided on a Furysin, a build I've played a couple times, but never through the game with. I think it will work well for this tourney as I'll be able to use an eth weapon, it's mana cheap, only requires 20 points so it's flexible, and the sin has some good defensive abilities. I'm at least going to try to use a two handed weapon, but if something better comes along, I'm not going to limit myself.

Code:
Player: Name: Level: Version: Class: Build: Date:
------------------- ------------ ------ -------- --------- -------------- -------
DiabloTwoinDC Endro 20 1.13 Druid Fissure-Ranger 2018-05-09
crawlingdeadman Tenten 10 1.14 Assassin Furysin 2018-05-13
Two handed blade fury suffers an additional 50% damage penalty to weapon damage, unfortunately. Just an FYI.

I have never been so happy to find an ID Tome! I took more screenshots of it than of anything I've seen so far. It was really starting to become a struggle doing P8 with a bow and Blade Sentinel. Sentinel is not bad, really, but Fury? Holy crap, with the CB from my weapon, it's been night and day difference. I'm killing at a good rate now. Oh, what weapon did I find? Did I not mention that? Gaze in awe at:
Screenshot254.jpg

Question: I've found an arctic furs which isn't that great right now. I've been keeping it in case I find another piece of it. Should I? This is a very fun tourney, I'm evaluating everything differently (see picture of ecstatic reaction to getting an ID Tome).
Screenshot269.jpg

Zenigma said:
Just pointing it out, because you said you hadn't played one through to the end of hell. Some people might not be aware
Thank you, I had honestly forgotten that. I was just going from memory until I got to 18 at which point I was going to reread the thread I replied with. I am fairly familiar with BF, I did make it to NM Act 2 untwinked before losing the character on another computer. I recovered her, but just retired her instead of finishing. I'm using this tourney as an excuse to finish one.

Posting separate for easy replying.
Code:
Wolron                Hermit         20      1.14      Amazon      Bow              2018-05-14
crawlingdeadman       Tenten         19      1.14      Assassin    Furysin          2018-05-16

Code:
crawlingdeadman       Tenten         25      1.14      Assassin    Furysin          2018-05-20
Holy crap, Normal Duriel shows once again that he is one of the toughest bosses in the game. I made it through him, but only just. I had been running low on mana pots, so I started to really conserve them for him right as I hit arcane. I imagined his fight being me spamming fury and running out of mana constantly. Turns out I was running like Forest Gump, trying to cast a shadow for distraction so that I could throw one or five blades at him before the shadow died. Rinse and repeat until dead, but in the mean time, I ran out of health pots instead of mana. I used Knell Striker for the CB vs Duriel, but I've mainly been using this now:
Screenshot002 (1).jpg
It's damage isn't great and I'm not able to leach back as much mana as I use, but it does offset the cost a bit so that I can go for longer. I made steel and didn't use it, found a Crushflange, but didn't use it for Duriel because Knell has some mana on it. I stashed it in case I want it later, it is a nice weapon for this build. Started to find runes, but the real big find of this act was a belt with three rows on it!
Screenshot003.jpg

Two more screenshots, the first is my inventory before Duriel (in case I died) and the second is after Duriel:

Screenshot026.jpg

Screenshot030.jpg

ps. I did save a stamina pot in case it turned into a running challenge. I REALLY didn't want to be walking away from him. It did turn into a running challenge, but I never ran out of stamina.

Well, the merc did not last very long (died at about the time that the Cube was found). Hermit is eagerly waiting to see him again when Duriel is dead. It will also be good to take this Cube and use it on all those chippies that are waiting in Hermit's stash in Lut Gholein. (this is a crazy touirnament, but it is great fun!).

Hermit has a reasonably powerful Ice Arrow (7 points in it and 11 points in Cold arrow) and is working toward getting his Valkyrie (6 points are in P&M tree). He has a little trouble with cold immunes, but has picked up a Blood Crescent scimitar to use when he is desperate. He has concentrated on Vitallity and Energy:
Strength = 36
Dexterity = 30
Vitality = 55
Energy = 87

He has just finished off the claw viper (Fangskin?) and is going back to Lut Gholein to enter the palace with the recently cubed staff. He is at level 25 (a little low for this point in the game, but there were times when he had to back off of P8 for a while).

Code:
Wolron                Hermit         25      1.14      Amazon      Cold-Bow         2018-05-31
crawlingdeadman       Tenten         25      1.14      Assassin    Furysin          2018-05-20

Hermit has been slain by Duriel. Here is how it happened.

Hermit knew the battle would be tough, so she saved a dozen full rejuvenation potions and a few other mana and healiing potions. Then she used "players 1" and went in. Of course, she was only level 26 so there was no Valkyrie. Of course the level 1 decoy lasted about 1 second. Of course there was no using a town portal scroll (she was not allowed to use them). So, in spite of having a reasonably strong Ice Arrow, she only lasted about a minute and only took Duriel down about 25%.

I am surprised that the Assassin was successful (Good Job!). I am convinced that only a sorceress with static field would have a reasonably good chance without a merc.

Since I have two Sorceresses going in other tournaments, I am going to resign and check back occasionally to see if anyone has found a way to beat this game. Good Luck, it really was fun while it lasted.

Went on a bit of a Civ IV bender the last few weeks..

But, per your request @crawlingdeadman:
Screenshot404.jpg

Endro was lvl 26 before getting to Duriel. Everything seemed to be going well. His few wolves held everything up nicely while fissure did it's work. Endro contributed with some weak ranged/melee attack also. I usually just drop Duriel to p1. I guess there is a reason for that.. Duriel was 1-shotting wolves. So, Endro figured he would march in and "distract" Duriel while fissure did some damage. WHACK WHACK. 2-shots. Dead. :(

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High