[2005] Single Skill Tree Tourney [by corax]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by corax on Aug 30, 2005. The last post was made Dec 17, 2005.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

Ammended rules... jiansonz made me

Inspired by the two tankazon tourneys.
Versions 1.11 and 1.10, RWM allowed.

Basically each class is allowed to use a single skill tree and none other:
Amazon- Passive & Magic tree
Assassin- Shadow Discipline tree
Barbarian- Combat Mastery tree
Druid- Summoning tree
Necromancer- Curse tree
Paladin- Offensive Aura tree OR the defensive aura tree
Sorceress- Any of the masteries, any of the cold armours and energy shield aswell as enchant.(only 1 point into warmth as a prereq)

Rules:
1. HC only. However if their is enough interest a seperate SC event will be run. Be sure to list your preference when you sign up SC entrants will be 'dead' when their character suffers their first death.
2. Only skills listed above allowed. unless it is a melee(no spells/arrow skills) skill granted by an item. E.G. a paly with a +1 zeal scepter may use the zeal provided from said weapon. none melee skills provided from +to a certain skill or charges are not allowed. so no CE from black or teleport charges. However skills from your unrestricted tree can be used from +skills or charges. e.g. a summon druid with carrion wind can use the poison creeper charges
3. New chars only, untwinked. Mercs are Unrestricted. Any players settings allowed
4. All quests and waypoints to be collected, killing Nihlathak and returning the malus are suitable for those quests. using the imbue/personalize isn't required to 'complete' them.
5. No weapon restrictions.
6. Muling off into a 'prize stash' is allowed. Muling on/off between your character and this stahs is ok.
7. Trading and Multiplayer are both allowed. Although only gear yet to be muled off may be traded. MP to be conducted only with other tourney entrants.
8. Guardians or highest level at the tourney conclusion will win and get first choice of prize stashes. All Guardians are winners. so take your time.
9. All items which aren't going to be used must be muled off into a prize stash which is emailed to t*(@)*.com upon the entrants death.
10. Sign up as many characters as you want, but make sure to keep their stashes seperate.
11. Example Entrant;

Forum Name: Corax
Character Name: Nubby McNubbNubb
Character Class: Summon-Only Druid
Character Level: 1
Farthest Quest: none
Farthest WP: Rogue Encampment
Game Versions: 1.11 RWM

12. Tourney starts as soon as you sign up.

Original rules before amendment said:
Single Skill Tree Tourney

Druid- Summoning tree
Necromancer- Curse tree
Paladin- Offensive Aura tree
Sorceress- All passive skills, any of the cold armours and energy shield aswell as enchant.

Rules:
1. HC only. However if their is enough interest a seperate SC event will be run. Be sure to list your preference when you sign up 👍 SC entrants will be 'dead' when their character suffers their first death.
2. Only skills listed above allowed. unless it is a melee(no spells/arrow skills) skill granted by an item. E.G. a paly with a +1 zeal scepter may use the zeal provided from said weapon.
3. Any players settings allowed
4. All quests and waypoints to be collected, killing Nihlathak and returning the malus are suitable for those quests. using the imbue/personalize isn't required to 'complete' them.
5. New chars only, untwinked
6. Muling off into a 'prize stash' is allowed. however once it hits that stash it can't be muled back on.
7. Trading and Multiplayer are both allowed. Although only gear yet to be muled off may be traded. MP to be conducted only with other tourney entrants.
8. First Guardian or highest level at the tourney conclusion will win and get first choice of prize stashes.
9. All items which aren't going to be used must be muled off into a prize stash which is emailed to t*(@)*.com upon the entrants death.
10. Sign up as many characters as you want, but make sure to keep their stashes seperate.
11. Example Entrant;

p.s if you see any issues with the rules feel free to throw stuff at me. its late so the old ticker isnt ticking over properly.

Last edited:
Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

A 'sin for me I think. I'd prefer SC if possible.

Forum Name: Humphrey
Character Name: Shadow (or maybe Shade? Not sure yet)
Character Class: Shadow Discipline Assassin
Oh my, looks tempting again. Let me think about it. Is there a deadline for registration? When will the tournament end?

About the rules: Stuff not used has to go into a prize stash... surely you don't wnat us to collect everything and place it in a stash, do you? I read it we have to collect uniques / sets and perhaps very good rares. No chance to collect stuff for a grail this way.

If i decide to participate, I'll play a paladin.
Sign up will probably last till say the end of september for 'early deaths' and what not. and it will end when either someone hits guardian or we get down to a few weeks with very little progress.

Collect any sets/uniques/decent rares/ crafts/decent socketed/base items. so basically anything that could be useful goes in to the prize stash if you dont want to use/trade it.
OK, this looks like the perfect opportunity to make a character I have wanted/planned to do for a long time, a v1.10 Mike!

I need some rules clarifications first, though:

* Mercs are unrestricted, right?
* Are all classes allowed to use Attack, Throw and Town Portal (parking)?
* Are ranged weapons allowed (as long as you stick with Attack and Throw)?
* So skills granted by items (charges or actual +skills) can only be those that are allowed for the different classes, plus melee skills? So no Teleport charges, no CE from 'Black', etc., but Poison Creeper from Carrion Wind and charges with necro curses would be OK? Are there any restrictions on 'chance to cast' items?

And two rules changes I´d like to see:
* Allow self-muling (I need all my chippies to reroll elite merc weapons, dammit! :D ) Please...
* All Guardians should be regarded as equals. I don´t like to be rushed.

After 'a few weeks with little progress' is a good time to end the tournament, I think.
Hey Cor, I might partake in this tourney. Inspired by Jiansonz's hard work and fabulous posts in earlier tournaments, I've always wanted to make a tankazon... :)
Forum Name: asdfgah
Character Name: asdf_Lisa
Character Class: shadow tree assassin

I've always wanted to try a shadow, and HC will be interesting :)

(1.11 RWM)
corax said:
Sorceress- All passive skills, any of the cold armours and energy shield aswell as enchant.
Does this include Thunderstorm (seems passive, but it'd be nice to clarify)?

A shame about the "melee" designation for skills from items... I had a crazy idea to try a hammerdin by using a +3 blessed hammer scepter, and maxing blessed aim and concentration :lol:
Ah hello, not even a mention of my multiple single tree builds. Humph.

I would play in the tourney as a mojo mancer but I no longer have my D2 computer hooked up. It will have to wait oh well I will just have to try it some other time. :)
Forum Name: jiansonz
Character Name: Mark the Mojomancer
Character Class: Curses-only Necro with Fire Rogue
Character Level: 12
Farthest Quest: Blood Raven
Farthest WP: Cold Plains

I decided to play no matter what.

Mark is the buff brother of Mike, my 1.09 mojomancer (who made it all the way to Hell Ancients). Even though they both invest in the curse tree only, they will be quite different:

* Where Mike was a no-DEX character, with only 47 STR, Mark will aim for max blocking and at least 70 STR.

* Once he got his merc, Mike wasn´t allowed to use Attack or Throw. Mark will be a more of a fighter and tank. His excessive DEX investment and the revamped Inner Sight his rogue will provide means that he will have a decent chance to hit, at least if his gear is good. I have some interesting ideas regarding tanking abilities...

* Mike was played on /p1, since that was all I knew of. That meant he faced Duriel at level 22, before Decrepify was available. His ace was level 11+1 Iron Maiden. Mark will face the bug with level 5 Decrepify, and will leave IM at level 1. My standard 'Steel' Flail and Bone Shield of Deflecting along with a large life pool and a generous potion supply will hopefully be enough.

Decrepify + Crushing Blow will be much better than high level IM, both in terms of safety and killing speed.

* Mike didn´t dare to try Confuse and Attract, since his player was such a n00b with them. The n00bness hasn´t changed, but Mark will be my experimenting vessel with these skills. It´s only logical that I want to learn to master all aspects of my favourite skill tree in the game.

Mark and Isolde have had a great start. Mark is using a 2s Scepter with CSapphire and CRuby. Isolde uses a 3s Hunter´s Bow with CSappire and 2x CRuby.

Mark found his first chipped topaz when he was still level 2, after only about 15% of the Blood Moor! Caps are so ugly that I decided to hold off using if until level 3, when Mark had the strength to wear a Skull Cap. Apparently, Isolde is not the only character with a fashion sense here. :D

Now when Mark enters Stony Field, he has a total of +50% MF. I think that´s a personal best for me at this stage. :D
(Hmm, unless I´ve found Gull earlier...)
East HardCore Ladder

Forum Name: BatTheMan
Character Name: WinonaRyder
Character Class: Shadow Skill Assassin
This untweaked single player only Yes? If so then it should be very interesting getting back to single player. No public game etc right? If so it's all good then. How about Paladin using only defensive aura?
I'm in. I was really enjoying playing a ranger in Rizzo's tourny so this is a perfect chance to see one a little further then act2 normal.

Forum Name: randy
Character Name: Graven
Character Class: Summon-Only Druid (HC)
Well, I guess I'll get in on this tourny and go with a summoning druid.

Forum Name: ScarsOfTomorrow
Character Name: Daysend (I'm not original enough for good names, I just use my favorite band at the moment. )
Character Build: Summon druid
Farthest Quest: None
Farthest WP: Rogue Encampment.
Forum Name: Delcor
Character Name: Fax
Character Build: Shadow Assassin
Farthest Quest: None
Farthest WP: Rogue Encampment.
Ammended rules... jiansonz made me

Druid- Summoning tree
Necromancer- Curse tree
Paladin- Offensive Aura tree OR the defensive aura tree
Sorceress- Any of the masteries, any of the cold armours and energy shield aswell as enchant.(only 1 point into warmth as a prereq)

Rules:
1. HC only. However if their is enough interest a seperate SC event will be run. Be sure to list your preference when you sign up SC entrants will be 'dead' when their character suffers their first death.
2. Only skills listed above allowed. unless it is a melee(no spells/arrow skills) skill granted by an item. E.G. a paly with a +1 zeal scepter may use the zeal provided from said weapon. none melee skills provided from +to a certain skill or charges are not allowed. so no CE from black or teleport charges. However skills from your unrestricted tree can be used from +skills or charges. e.g. a summon druid with carrion wind can use the poison creeper charges
3. New chars only, untwinked. Mercs are Unrestricted. Any players settings allowed
5. No weapon restrictions.
6. Muling off into a 'prize stash' is allowed. Muling on/off between your character and this stahs is ok.
8. Guardians or highest level at the tourney conclusion will win and get first choice of prize stashes. All Guardians are winners. so take your time.
11. Example Entrant;

Game Versions: 1.11 RWM

BatTheMan said:
This untweaked single player only Yes? If so then it should be very interesting getting back to single player. No public game etc right? If so it's all good then. How about Paladin using only defensive aura?
This tourney is single player only, no realm play mate. However if you still want to give it a go on Bnet, im sure we would be interested to hear how you fair

My entry

Character Name: Impedimenta
Character Class: Passive zon
Game Versions: 1.11 RWM, HC
triple post :eek:

however this time I bring updates.

Character Name: Impedimenta
Character Class: Passive zon
Character Level: 9
Farthest Quest: Blood Raven
Farthest WP: Rogue Cold Plains
Game Versions: 1.11 RWM, HC

after a poor start. nearly died to corpsefire while i was laughing cos of 'braiiiins' :lol: battled my way with a full clear through blood moor and a little bit of the cold plains. found about 4 pairs of rare boots so far. and thought i saw a biggins bonnet. but it wa only a yellow. continued to clear cold plains until i came into the graveyard where i promptly slew blood raven by hurling lots of tiny bits of metal and pointy sticks at her. went back to town to pick up Elly the rogue, who now has a CTC amp bow :D
Also upgraded my various throwing items to a 2 OS two handed sword. which promptly got a sapphire and an emerald. cleared out the crypt and mausoleum with my rogue. got swarmed by bonebreaker and an extra strong skelie pack. but lured them into a doorway, then elly went and attracted some from somewhere behind us. found another 8 or so pairs of rare boots.

Next session will see a full clear of cold plains and the cave looking for topaz's to put into a 2 OS helm and 3 OS armour. gg MF.
Count me in !!

Forum Name: Jake_b74
Character Name: vinny
Character Class: Summon Druid
Forum Name: Humphrey
Character Name: Shade
Character Class: Shadow Assassin
Character Level: 6
Farthest Quest: Den of evil