1.13 vanilla - slight probe into SPF

skiffcz

Sep 23, 2007
1.13 vanilla - slight probe into SPF

Well, since the beta is in testing stage, why not to ask

Is there anyone else who contemplates restarting (or maybe continuing, for those non-FAM) into vanilla with new patch release?

I ask, becouse I on the one hand, Id love to, but on the other, I ofc dont want to give up MP/trading (but especially MP). So this is a little survey to reveal the rough number of fellow SPFers who, if any, would go with me.

So down to my definition of vanilla:

You are only allowed actions, direct, indirect or emulated, which can be carried out from inside the clean install of the game, and those emulated must result in exactly the same output.

Note that I dont mention cheese. Thats becouse cheese dont carry taint.

Anyone else on the same boat?

Re: 1.13 vanilla - slight probe into SPF

skiffcz wrote: "You are only allowed actions, direct, indirect or emulated, which can be carried out from inside the clean install of the game, and those emulated must result in exactly the same output."

Related to current SPF practice this means:

no 1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13 runewords
no RRM other than provided in 1.13
no modified DLLs to HF rush
no muling applications (ATMA or GoMule)

Opposed to current vanilla standards, you seem to exclude muling aps. Perhaps you didn't mean to, but semantically it's present in your post. Also please define cheese.

I'm contemplating a restart, but if I do, I'll instal either or both ATMA and Gomule. As for MP, just go with the flock, a vanilla base will most probably NOT be viable.

Patches like this always raise the idea of a restart... the start of a new year helps too ;-)

I've been thinking about doing it - a clean install of 1.13 plus GoMule, nothing else. I assume this fits into your definition, as you could mule things out using a MP game, so GoMule doesn't change the game itself...

If I went for a vanilla restart like that, I'd probably go self-found as well, with no MP / rushing, bringing items forward from earlier versions etc.

Problem is my current RWM 1.12 wealth is holding me back - Fort, Grief and about a Lo worth of mid/high HF rushed runes, two SoJs and all the other hard to find uniques I have. It'll be hard to let all of that go.

On the other hand, I've started playing HC in 1.13, but have RWM installed (I'm not far enough in to not consider a clean restart though) and there is something to be said for starting from scratch. Each little find, or low level runeword, feels like a nice achievement.

I'd love it if Blizzard enabled the ladder runewords in SP, but if I did do a clean vanilla restart I could live without them. Insight would be the thing I missed the most.

Anyway, I've moved my Nova Necro and Blizzie into 1.13 with some items, and plan on playing them there for a while, leaving the rest of my stashes and characters in 1.12 for now.

I'll wait for the final patch before making a decision.

no 1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13 runewords

Eh? No Ancient's Pledge?

Also, yes, I exclude current versions of muling apps, becouse they dont change seed each muligan, as normal muling inevitably does. Maybe we can pursuade Silo to add few lines of code and checkbox?

Cheese as in changing players settings for loot/kills, TPs on belt, buing axes and daggers and selling throving axes for unlimited cash, ... etc. Those are ingame bugs/exploits and are part of it.

How long does one have to be here not to learn something new once a week? Imbuing daggers and axes? Do elaborate! Unlimited cash sounds good. I agree with changing player settings for boss kills and all, only do it in MP games because it's sort of expected.

About the practice of placing tps in belt slots, since when has that been deemed curdled milk?

I'd be on the petitioners' list for silo to make a seed-changing option for gomule, refraining from using stash files we can (hopefully) manage to do ourselves.

I meant of course the 1.10 RWs not available for SP, should have been semantically more careful ;)

Good idea to give the reinvigoration of vanilla a boot before the patch hits the streets btw!

Let's not get confused with the term 'vanilla 1.13'.

Whether you use it 'out of the box' or 'off the download' is not important; if you have moved FAM items/chars from 1.12 forward, you are STILL FAM.

The only way anyone here is going to be vanilla 1.13 is either by restarting that way in 1.13 or being vanilla already and just moving forward to 1.13.

By all means discuss how you want to play, but let's not either re-invent the terminology which can be confusing enough as it is.

Also, if you suddenly decide you want to redo your seed after muling that doesn't make you vanilla. In fact you could do that already; change difficulties after muling. It isn't hard if you feel that strongly about it. Keeping the same map is actually a major benefit of SP over Bnet and the way Blizzard programmed it. You can't call that cheesy unless you also want everyone to restart without eth-cube-bugged-armours too.

If you don't like certain things, don't do them but I'd be a bit more careful before bandying around the word cheese about things which Blizzard programmed.

I'm up for a vanilla restart in 1.13. Well, I was untill the semantics game started anyways.

No stashes?, No TPs in belt?, Forced mapchange on muling sessions? - Are you guys on drugs?

You won't find many followers I think.

If it's kept simple, something along the lines of this, then ok.

Clean install - no mods running with the game.
ATMA*/GoMule for muling.
No ATMA indestructibility exploit*.
-----

*Assuming ATMA stilll works with the final version.

One thing bugs me here: TP's in belt. How is that cheese? Remember Diablo1, and how you could put any spell scroll into your belt? I fail to see how this could ever be cheesy.

I considered a restar now and again, but my wealth is holding me back.

if you have moved FAM items/chars from 1.12 forward, you are STILL FAM.

Thy, I'm not sure whether this was a general comment or directed at me specifically. I fully understand the concept of taint/FAM - I have 1.12 and 1.13 FAM stashes and characters at the moment. *If* I were to restart and claim 1.13 vanilla status it would naturally be with a clean slate...

I've reread my earlier post and can't see how it could sound otherwise, so maybe this is just my paranoia coming out :scratchchin:

Anyway, back on topic...

@Pijus, you seem to be in a similar situation regarding existing wealth... just remember, the things you own end up owning you!

And TPs in belt? Meh... sometimes I just need the inventory space for an extra grand charm, so no Tome = TPs in belt.

If it's kept simple, something along the lines of this, then ok.

Clean install - no mods running with the game.
ATMA*/GoMule for muling.
No ATMA indestructibility exploit*.
-----

*Assuming ATMA stilll works with the final version.

I think this is a good starting point. I'd agree with it.

Well, since I am most definitely not one of those witha huge amount of wealth to leave behind :D (haven't really found much- or done much in the way of serious mfing- since the Alvl 85 tourney :p), I have been considering this for a bit now. In fact, I do believe that I have pretty well settled on it- but it will be a while, since I plan to finish up my HC sept in 1.12 first. As soon as that's done, though, I'll be restarting vanilla 1.13.

Yes, Nubikoens post pretty much sums up what I want from a restart. I am not completely sold on restarting atm, but that might change depending on how the final released patch looks.

The initial post seems like a little overkill to me, and it`s probably not that many people who will join a pure MP group like that.

@Aconite: Thyiads post was probably aimed at OPs definition of Vanilla. You are probably safe:)

Bit of wording explanation should follow I guess. I apologize in advance, but my mother celebrates 50s and my level of english may be lower than my level of whiskey atm, but Ill try my best.

one: I do not try to persuade anyone, as well as box things in other way than logical. Ive been there, and its not going anywhere.

two: on cheese ... Ive been misunderstood here. I dont want to prohibit belt tps or such, on the contrary. All I said was that the way we should see things from the point of taint is not if given technique is cheap or not, but if its ingame doable or not. TPs are absolutely doable. So is eth armor cube bug. Insight isnt, becouse its closed content only. Ladder is completely different fish and we should avoid taking example from it.

three: I specifically tried to avoid ebug talk, but its unfortunately a good example of something which someone might done and now regret doing. Reason? We use more and more 3rd party tools, addons etc and this is what inevitably happens. The reason for OP was not bashing these, not at all, but taking 1.13 as opportunity to "purge" the play a bit, getting rid of unnecessary bloat around to prevent further incidents like this. What other opportunity we will have? I cant think of better point than new patch comming. (And prolly last "contenthaha".)

four: wealth - well, who says you cant have more than one version running? People do this all the time :) Non issue :)

five: atma/gomule - good to hear the seed rst is on wishlist, it is actually one thing that bugs me more and more with time spent thinking about it. Really, it is not advantage of SP. Sorry Thy. It is completely 3rd party introduced feature. Im guilty yes. We all are. But there is no way I know of in unmodded game to mule stuff over without reseting seed. Its atma/gomule specific feature, end.

six: Unmodded. Thats better term I guess. Im sorry for using "vanilla" when it already has its specific meaning, so for a draft (I dont wish any new categories, no please, just to avoid confusion) lets call it unmodded ;)

Uf, that was hard for me, please cope with my current state :D

Marry Xmas to Aussies btw! :D

I'll throw a question into the ring, I did a compete restart will 1.13beta and have not used my, or any other, mods, so I'm now playing vanilla. Will the items I've so far collected in beta (19 uniques, 46 sets & 75 runes) be acceptable in 1.13a?

Getting back to the OP, a fresh restart is good for the soul and I've been looking forward to 1.13 so I can. I'd forgotten how hard it is trying to kill Normal Diablo at /p8 untwinked. Great fun! And I'd forgotten how good it is to dive on any green or gold drop and doing a little dance of celebration.

I already play unmodded, and only use ATMA to browse through my mules to see who's got what. (Does GoMule have an option to do a search to find which characters have items with names that include whatever word? I hoped that ATMA would have that, but I guess it's not needed if you use the muling application like it's supposed to be used.)

So I guess I'd be fine with joining an MP group that's starting over when 1.13 is final. Maybe then I won't fill up all my mules with crap, like I'm doing now. (Because when all you have is crap, not only does other crap look kind of useful, but you have to do some pretty extensive juggling to get a combination with high enough resists for Hell difficulty. And that requires having a lot of crappy little items with certain resistances. OK, so maybe some of that rare jewelry isn't so crappy.)

I'll wait for the final release but I'm pretty sure new patch will give me the extra motivation to restart and play only 1.13 HC, leaving all the version swithcing and game abusing/haX behind. Not that I intend to trade, but I just want to make myself feel better about the way I play this game :)

For now I'm enjoying a little break from D2 :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High