II.) Stat Placement
III.) Skill Placement
IV.) Gear
V.) Mercenaries
VI.) Strategy
VII.) Conclusion
VIII.) Credits

I.) Introduction

Welcome back to the guide! If you’re new, I’m AdunaCCDanimoth, but call me Aduna. For those that can recall the older guide, the name has been changed. After many hours of raiding the internet, I found a name to give to this Barb. If you have ever played Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings, the unique Mongol unit is called a Mangudai, a Barbarian with a bow. Of course, you can still call this a Bowbarb, but then I’ll have to raze your village, pillage your crops, and make your life suck.

If you’re new and haven’t guessed it by now, the Mangudai is a Barb with a bow, capable of being a ranged fighter at one second, and a tank the next. You may wonder why not use an Amazon. The reason why is that the challenge of the Mangudai stands as perhaps the hardest test of a barb-Players skills, with the possible exception of a Boxer. Through smart use of war cries, mobility, and shear endurance, you can become one of the few, the proud, the Mangudai. Now if you still want to go play with your Amazons, stop reading now; you are not welcome here. For everyone else, grab your bows and let’s go!

II.) Stat Placement

Strength: 115 or 118: Chances are, the heaviest thing you’ll be wearing is going to be your Helm and Armor. 115 will give you Guillame’s Face; part of the Orphan’s set. 118 will allow you to use Arreat’s Face and Great Hauberk armor. We’ll discuss these helms later in the guide.

Vitality: 150+: Depending on your style, you’ll want more points in here, although I never had too much issue using 150. You could get away with less, I suppose, but should something nasty in Hell reach you even through your defenses, you might not be happy. One additional thing: Barbs will have 33% more life than a Zon if you compare base Vitalities with a Zon having 450 Life to a Barbs 600. Just remember, you don’t have Dodge, Avoid, or Evade, so you can’t outright avoid damage. Still, having a bigger health pool is nice.

Dexterity: Everything Else: Straight forward, the more Dex you have, the more your Mangudai will dish out. If you are expecting the high damage yields a Zon can get, please ask someone to smack you upside the head. Twice.

Energy: Base: Every time a barbarian puts a point in Energy, God kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens.

III.) Skill Placement

Before we begin, let me get a few things straight. Throwing Mastery does NOT work with bows. For some reason, this rumor has been going around the Barb Forum. This is completely untrue, so do not fall for this. Bash, Stun, Concentrate, Whirlwind, and Berserk do not work with bows. Leap Attack cannot be used with a bow in hand, but Leap can be. Keep this in mind if you wish to jump around.

Shout: Boosts Defense for you and your party. After maxing this and Battle Orders out, you’ll have quite a long duration to work with. Just remember to keep this active at all times. A good signal to refresh is when Battle Command’s Gould “aura†stops showing up as Shout and Battle Orders cycle around. Drop 20 points into this.

Battle Orders: Boosts Maximum Life, Mana, and Stamina. What better way to turn your large life pool into an even larger tub of red goodness? This is also how you will boost your mana pool as well, enabling a good amount of War Crying and Continual refreshment of your auras. The boost to Stamina is almost trivial, but there anyway. Keep this refreshed and you and your party will be happy. Also drop 20 points into this.

War Cry: Causes damage and Stuns your enemies. This is where your better tanking comes in. War Cry when fully maxed has a nice 4.8 second Stun duration. This is not taking into account anything to boost Warcries, such as charms or gear. 4.8 seconds doesn’t sound like a lot of time, but when you have a party of melee players or casters and the fact the monster in question is standing there dazed, or if you have a high-speed bow, 4.8 is all that is needed to keep things in an almost continual state of weakness. 20 points into this is a well-worth investment.

Grim Ward: Creates a 40 Second No-Entry Zone for most monsters: In a party of casters or other range-based players, Grim Ward will provide a buffer zone, a region where no regular monster can cross without turning tail and fleeing. Note that Champions, Bosses, and Act Bosses can still cross through a Grim Ward, but since these are rarely without minions, Grim Ward can turn the fight from a major annoyance into a focused assault. The more points invested, the larger the radius. Just remember than if you max this out, the radius may become so large that it may irritate others. 7 points for a 6-yard radius is more than enough, but its up to you. One last thing, Grim Ward is also good for taking out corpses so they can’t be revived by others, like Fallen and Fetish. In the Worldstone Keep, Horadrim Ancients can, and usually will, revive Doom Knights and Oblivion Knights. Use Grim Ward to make sure this doesn’t happen. Summon Necromancers may get upset with you turning they’re corpses into Wards, so don’t Ward often unless they deserve having nothing to summon. Yes, there are jerks on Battle.Net, and if you can’t beat them….

Natural Resistance: Boosts your Mangudai’s base resists. More resists are a good thing in 1.10. Gloams in the Worldstone Keep are known to rip players apart with they’re relentless Lightning strikes. Many bosses also have an elemental attack to them. This insures that you can take more than a few of these and still keep up with your relentless attacks. While I put 13 points into NR (60%) Resists, one could easily get away with far less. Shoot for at least 5 for 40% Resists as this will cancel out Nightmares Resists penalty and put you at a base of -30% Resists in Hell should you also do the Anya Quests.

Increased Speed: Boosts your Mangudai’s base Run/Walk speed. Mobility is key to this build. As said before, you lack an Amazon’s Dodging abilities, so the ability to quickly move in and out of harms way is essential. Also, with a better running speed, you can go back to your corpses faster if you die. 6 points are all you really need for a 30% Run/Walk Speed boost, but you can add or subtract more to your taste.

Battle Command: Boosts you and your party’s skill levels by 1. What more can be said? A free +1 skill level at your fingertips is always a boon. Just remember to use this first before Shout and Battle Orders to give them an additional boost. 1 point is all that is needed here.

Optional Points: If you want to, you can drop a few points into Leap. With Leap, you can jump into a crowd and knock them back, hop over a river or a slow party member, and above all allow others to see up your loincloth. More points into Find Potion is also an idea, as keeping a constant flow of potions, and in hell, Full Rejuvenation Potions, to you and your party will make you a crowd favorite, even though a Mangudai alone will attract attention. Note that you cannot use Find Potion or something you have turned into a Grim Ward or vice-versa.

In the end, you’re skill placement will end up like this give or take points in other skills:

20 Shout
20 Battle Orders
20 War Cry
7 Grim Ward
13 Natural Resistances
6 Increased Speed
1 Battle Command
1 in Pre-Reqs

IV.) Gear:

Weapon: Two weapons of choice stand out here, and both have their merits:

- Widowmaker Ward bow: The one outstanding trait to Widowmaker is that it gives between 3 to 5 points in Guided Arrow that your Mangudai can use. Most players that have seen my Mangudai always ask if the bow I am using is a Widowmaker, to which I reply no to. While Widowmaker has it’s Guided, your actual damage output, when compared to an Amazon, is not enough that Mana Leech will put a significant amount back into your pool to warrant it’s use Guided Arrow for as great of a time that an Amazon can. ITD is also a nice mod, but since champions, bosses and act bosses are not affected by ITD, nor is players in PvP, this is only good against normal monsters, and if you’ve played on hell, you’ll know that there isn’t a good opportunity to use ITD to it’s full effect. Regardless, Widowmaker is a damn fine bow and if you like using it, by all means.

- Witchwild String Short Siege Bow: The second bow is my personal choice. Yes, it’s Witchwild, With Scaling Deadly Strike, 2 open sockets, chance to cast Amplify Damage, and +40 to your Resistances, Witchwild becomes a very nice bow to look at. Similar to Widowmaker, Witchwild fires Magic Arrows, meaning you do not require arrows to fire. Sadly for Widowmaker, Guided Requires Arrows to use. While Arrows drop almost as much as gold does, I hate grabbing them just to keep on shooting Guided. Another note on Guided arrows is that Witchwild shoots Level 20 Magic Arrows, while Widowmaker shoots Level 11. The difference is 20% of Witchwild’s damage is Magic Damage compared to Widowmaker’s 11%, meaning that both bows can take out Physical Immunes, but Witchwild can do it better than Widowmaker, especially if it’s upgraded. Guided Arrow from Widowmaker does not take advantage of this, leaving you to keep shooting PI’s with your Normal Attack. Witchwild’s 2% chance to cast Amplify Damage also means that when it triggers, you have just shut down the Physical Immune factor, leaving the PI able to take a lot more damage than just 20% of the damage. As for the sockets, drop in two Shael runes and go to town.

Other Choices include: Eaglehorn Crusader Bow, Windforce Hydra Bow, “Breath of the Dying†Runeword, Buriza-Do Kyanon Ballista, and Hellrack Collosus Crossbow.

Weapon Switch: There’s only one good choice here, and that’s a pair of Echoing Weapons to boost your initial Shout, Battle Orders, Battle Command durations, as well as the stun length of War Cry and the Radius of Grim Ward. Another choice would be placing a weapon with Enchant charges onto this slot like Demon Limb to give yourself a boost to Attack Rating and a bit of Fire Damage, but you can always place this in your inventory and use it when you need to refresh your Enchant.

Armor: To me, only one armor stands out to me, but one other is also nice if you can get one:

- “Duress†Runeword: Ok, let’s start. Duress grants you a rather nice amount of resists, some additional damage, some decent Cold damage, 40% faster hit recovery, and a slower stamina drain. Ye the two mods that stand out from it is the Open Wounds and the Crushing Blow. These will be discussed later, but I will say now that these two mods, along with deadly strike, form what I call the Barb Trinity. This Trinity will make life MUCH easier in the end.

- “Chains of Honor†Runeword: +2 Skills is nothing to laugh about, nor is 65% Resists to everything, a small amount of Damage Reduction along with an equal amount of life leech keep this armor in the highlights, yet it is the fact that it adds a lot of damage against Demons and Undead. Just to let more people know, Demons and Undead probably comprise about 85% of all monsters in Diablo 2, and all act Bosses are Demons. Furthermore, should you Baal Run, the 5 sets of monsters Baal sends to you are either Demon (Sets 1, 3, 4, and 5) or Undead (Set 2). Keep this in mind if you choose Chains over Duress, as both are decent armors in their own right. On a side note, the runes for Chains are a LOT more expensive to get than Duress. (Dol Um Ber Ist for Chains, Shael Um Thul for Duress.)

Other Armors include: “Enigma†Runeword, Crow Caw Tigulated Mail, Toothrow Sharktooth Armor, and Twitchthroe Studded Leather.

Helms: Surprise! Two more decent options:

- Arreat’s Face Slayer Guard: The core helm most barbarian players call. However, this is NOT the case for your Mangudai. Yes, Arreat’s adds +2 Barb skills, but it also adds +2 to Combat skills, which, outside of Leap, you don’t have. The leech and bonus to Attack rating is nice, and so is the resistances, but Arreat’s is truly a helm for those that are going to use Combat skills.

- Guilliame’s Face Set Winged Helm: This sis the Helm I used. While it lacks the leech, resistances, and Attack Rating bonuses, it has 2 more pieces of the Trinity I discussed above. 35% Crushing Blow and 15% Deadly Strike should not be underestimated, crushing for the ease stronger monsters become and Deadly Strike for getting you to 100% faster. It also adds some more strength in case you have some heavy armor you want to equip.

Other Helms: Nightwing’s Veil Spired Helm, Harlequin Crest Shako, Giant Skull Bone Visage.

Gloves: Three Options here:

- Lava Gout Battle Gauntlets: 2 things to point out here of interest. The first is that it adds 20% Increased Attack Speed. This means that you can shoot Trinity-Driven Arrows at breakneck speed, which is always a good thing. The second thing is that it has a 2% chance to cast Enchant on striking something. Note that this means a nice AR boost as well as more fire damage to add to the gloves initial fire damage.

- Dracul’s Grasp Vampirebone Gloves: Let’s start off with the lesser mods, +10-15 Strength and you get 5-10 life for every kill you score. Both are good if you have some of the heavier gear to use like the helms or a heavier Chains or Duress armor. Now for the good parts, 7-10% Life Leech, 5% Chance to cast Life Tap on Striking, and 25% Open Wounds to slap into the Trinity. The Life Tap is incredible, turning 50% of what you and your party deal for damage back into life. This is huge for everyone but casters as this tends to give you a couple hundred life back per shot in case you took some damage using your War Cries. Unlike Lava Gout, it lacks IAS, but for what you get in return, this is acceptable.

Before I mention the last gloves, Soul Drainer, I want to take this time to say that unlike most of the players out there, I do NOT believe that a build should be based off speed breakpoints. Telling someone that they lack X% IAS to hit the best possible speed or breakpoint is a sign that that player has lost touch with playing the game and turning it into a science. This build is designed for fun and bragging rights, not for turning it into someone’s midterm project. Do not send me messages asking about how much more IAS you need to hit a breakpoint, as I will most likely jump down your throat and kick box your spleen. You have been warned. Now back to Soul Drainer.

- Soul Drainer Vambraces: If you are in need of more leech, especially mana leech, Soul Drainers is an option. 4-7% for both Life and Mana Leech will help supply you with more mana should you use Widowmaker. -50 target defense a hit is also nice, as this does work on champions, bosses, and Act bosses. The more you hit, the easier it becomes to land additional hits.

For other gloves, Steelrend Ogre Gauntlets are a good choice if you can stomach the higher strength reqs to get Crushing Blow and some more damage. Also, crafting is an option, but that’s a big crap shoot sometimes.

Belts: Two belts get high marks here:

- Nosferatu’s Coil/Siggard’s Sheath Vampirefang Belt: This belt, along with Goldwrap, is the only two unique belts in the game that come with IAS. Once again, if you need more Strength for your gear, Nos Coil can add 15 more. 5-7% more Life Leech never hurt, but the big mod on this belt is the Slows Target mod. With this, some of the quicker monsters, like Frenzytaurs in Act 5 become a lot more manageable. +2 mana per kill is also nice if you absolutely need more mana to use Guided Arrow, though those that use another bow will find natural mana regeneration, Mana potions, and the +2 MpK mod is more than enough.

- Verdungo’s Hearty Cord Mithril Coil: For those of you that enjoy charging headlong into danger to War Cry/Grim Ward, this belt is for you. A TON more life for you to enjoy, along with life regeneration and big Damage Reduction will keep you healthy, happy, and anxious to kill more stuff.

Other Belts here would include: Wilhelm's Pride Battle Belt from the Orphan’s Set, Sting of Ears Demonhide Sash, and Thundergod’s Vigor War Belt.

Boots: You only have one option here and if you’ve been following along, you’ll know why:

- Gore Rider War Boots: This is the absolute BEST pair of boots you could use for the Mangudai. First off, you have 30% Faster Run/Walk, meaning that with this your increased speed, you’ll be moving. The big reason why you want these boots is that of all the items in the game with the exception of the unique Fanged Knife, Fleshripper, this is the only item in the game that has ALL THREE TRINITY MODS. 10% Open Wounds and 15% of both Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike gives you a massive boost across the board to your killing ability. Do not accept any substitutions except for Goblin Toe Light Plated Boots for the early game.

Rings: Three things here to take note of:

- Manald Heal: If you need a cheap solution to your mana leech issues, here’s the best option. Also gives some life regeneration as well as a quick mana regeneration. +20 Life is also nice for the early game.

- Raven Frost: This is the Ring of choice for me. Such a nice choice I used two. Raven Frost adds a huge amount of Attack Rating to your Mangudai, which is always a good thing unless you use Guided Arrows, it also provides a boost to Dexterity to increase your damage. 20% Cold Absorb will always help if you go into Act 5 against the Frozen Scourge or a PK Sorc that uses Cold attacks. But the most important mod here is Cannot be Frozen. If you get frozen, you’re attack speed plummets, and this is a bad thing. With a Raven Frost, you can keep shooting, even in the middle of a horde of monsters with a cold attack. Sure, if you use two, you lose out on the second CBF, but with everything else it offers, who cares?

- Rare Ring with Dual Leech/+Dex: Take the Mana Leech from Manald, the Dex from Raven Frost, and slap on some Life leech and this is what you get, though it is sort of pointless if you have Dracul’s Life Tap active and not using Widowmaker. Some other mods may make up for it though, but don’t explode in joy if you find a rare ring on the ground.

Other Rings would include Bul-Katho’s Wedding Band, Carrion Wind, and Wisp Projector.

Amulets:

- The Cat’s Eye: Two options, Cat’s Eye and Highlord’s Wrath. Unlike most builds that use bows, this would be one of those times where Cat’s Eye is actually better than Highlord’s. While Highlord’s is nice for it’s skill, it’s pretty much wasted since a charm that adds +1 to War Cries does it’s job just as well. With that being said, let’s look at what Cat’s Eye offers us. 30% Faster Run/Walk offers us more movement insanity that would probably now make us move almost as fast as a Sorc could teleport. +25 to Dex adds even more to damage/attack rating, and 20% more IAS is simple insanity. The bonuses to defense and additional bonus to defense against missiles when boosted by Shout means you can still tank, just like a Panzer.

Just about any other Unique Amulet you could think of is great for this build, with Highlord’s riding high if you have one and not a Cat’s Eye.

Charms: Let’s keep this short, sweet, and to the point. There are certain charms you are looking for, +Warcries Grand Charms, +Resists Charms, and +Elemental Damage Charms. Warcries charms obviously make your War Cries far more effective, the resist charms can help you reach max resists that much faster, and Elemental Damage charms make dealing with PI’s much easier to deal with if you lack Witchwild’s Amp ability. The Unique small charm, Annihilus, is the biggest boon to you. If you have one, use it.

V.) Mercenaries

Your mercenary is your friend that travels around with you making your life easier. For your Mangudai, you have 2 options.

- Act 1 Rogue: If you want a ranged mercenary, take this one. Her AI is decent and is excellent at getting rid of PI’s and most other monsters except for those her Fire or Cold Arrow is immune against. If you do pick her, equip her with a Witchwild String, Crown of Thieves, and a Duriel’s Shell to keep her alive.

- Act 2 Desert Guard: If you fancy someone to tank for you when you’re spraying an area with arrows, take this guy. He comes in 6 flavors, Blessed Aim, Defiance, Prayer, Thorns, Might, and Holy Freeze. Prayer and Thorns are pretty much useless. Blessed Aim may be nice to boost you and your parties Attack rating, but it doesn’t do much beyond that, so that’s out. Defiance is nice to keep him almost untouched by most things, and more defense is certainly not a bad thing. Might means more damage for you, him, and everyone else, and this is good if you’re soloing an area. However if you party with a Paladin, chances are he has Fanaticism, and that means not only more Damage, but speed as well. While this may not be a bad thing, it does take away his glory. Holy Freeze, on the other hand, acts almost like someone dropped a Decrepify curse on everything, slowing them down to the point where you could play Minesweeper, win, and come back and still have them in a swing animation. In order to really capitalize on this, give your Merc the Reaper’s Toll Thresher and have him Decrepify on top of Holy Freeze. Helm and Armor is the same as an Act 1 Merc, Crown of Thieves and Duriel’s Shell, respectfully.

VI.) Strategies

Open Wounds, Crushing Blow, and Deadly Strike:

- Deadly Strike: Grants a chance to deal double damage per shot. Since you don’t have critical strike from a weapon mastery, the amount of Deadly Strike you have is you’re actual chance to deal double Damage.

- Crushing Blow: Grants a chance to outright remove a certain amount of a monsters life. The amount a target loses by use of a Bow is as follows:

- Against Normal monsters = 1 in 8, or 12.5% Life Removed
- Against Champions, Bosses, and Act Bosses = 1 in 16, or 6.25%
- Against other Players and Hirelings = 1 in 20, or 5%

Note that the amount removed is affected by the monsters remaining life. For example, if a monster with 1,000 Life is now at 500 Life, and you score a Crushing Blow, you remove 12.5% of 500, or 62.5 Life. Note that damage is calculated AFTER Crushing Blow takes effect.

- Open Wounds: Grants a chance a monster will bleed and lose life. Think of this as a Physical Poison Damage. However, there is a set figure on how much Wound Damage is dealt. The table for this damage per second is below. Note, Open Wounds always lasts for 8 seconds. Clvl stands for Character level, which is also figured into Wound Damage.

Clvl=1-15: 25*(9*Clvl+31)/256
Clvl=16-30: 25*(18*Clvl-104)/256
Clvl=31-45: 25*(27*Clvl-374)/256
Clvl=46-60: 25*(36*Clvl-779)/256
Clvl=61-99: 25*(45*Clvl-1319)/256

Champions, Bosses, and Act Bosses take 1/2 as much Wound Damage if affected. If you cause open Wounds on a Player using a bow, they take 1/8 the damage.

- In areas with high monster content, remember that it is safer to WALK than to run. Running drops your defense to zero, which means they can hit you easier. However, if you need to quickly get out of the way of a Gloams attack or an arrow, do not hesitate to tap your run key to give you that boost.

- Areas with tight movement, like the Maggot Lair, should be taken with as much caution as possible. If you have an Act 2 Merc, let him take the lead and scout for you; if you have an Act 1 Merc, scout for her and pull back, ideally near a place where you have placed a Grim Ward.

- Keep your Shout, Battle Orders and Battle Command active on you, your Merc and your party at all times. If someone has a better BO/Shout than you, do not try to BO yourself, as this will probably aggravate the other person.

- Be courteous. Just because some one managed to cram a stick up there doesn’t mean you have to try and do the same. If they become hostile or just too much of a pain to deal with, leave the game.

- Play it smart. Don’t think you can run into a pack of Gloam and tank them for as long as it takes. While you’ll be able to shrug off a few Lightning strikes, you won’t be able to take a whole salvo of them. Two skills I didn’t discuss before are Battle Cry and Taunt. Battle Cry effectively gives you a DR% against Physical Attacks and a free -% to their defense. Please note that this does not lower damage caused by an elemental attack, just physical one. Taunt causes a monster to come walking towards you, get into melee range, and begin attacking there. This is a great way to force a Gloam to attack you using its melee attack, which to be honest, sucks. It’s also a good way to get rid of monsters that revive other monsters. Use it wisely.

VII.) Conclusion

The Mangudai is a build that is for the sheer entertainment of making something out of the norm. It is also pretty much designed for PvM play, although I have had moderate success in the PvP realm as well. Also, this was built, tested, and re-tested in Non-Ladder, so I would appreciate any comments regarding ladder items and runewords as well as any PvP ideas. Questions and comments can be sent to my email address at [email protected], a private message, or a message on AIM at TheAdunaOne. Thank you for reading the guide and I hope you have fun with your Mangudai!

VIII.) Credits

- Blizzard Entertainment: For making an addicting and fun game like Diablo 2.
- Flip[wX]: For supplying me with gear that I needed to complete my Mangudai.
- The Arreat Summit (http://www.battle.net/diabloexp): For info on Open Wounds, Crushing Blow, and Deadly Strike.
- The Barbarian Forum: For giving me a reason to make a Mangudai in the first place.

Very nice. I read through the first half pretty thoroughly, noticed that your formula for Duress is incorrect. It's ShaelUmThul :)

Aside from that, extremely nicely written and very well-thought out build. I'll give it a proper read-through after supper and get back to you.

One of the better guides I've read. Nicely done :thumbsup:

EDIT: Very, very minor thing I noticed -- "they're Lightning strikes" in the Natural Resistance paragraph. Should be a possessive "their". I like to nitpick... sorry.

Yeah, i just noticed it was Thul.....

Too late to Edit it. :(

PS: Yeah, thats why I hate Microsoft Word. I have it fixed for the next draft.

Well, supper has been postponed so I read the rest.

Other equipment suggestions could be the new Ladder Rune Words, namely Dream and Dragon. The extra elemental damage isn't anything to sneeze at. Fortitude will also help with the low damage output.

Also, another idea could be using Harmony on switch for making a Valk?

Also, see the edit in my previous post :D

See, this is why I should have done this on ladder in order to use the new Runewords. I have absolutely how the new runewords work or how well they would work with this build. If, and this is a big if, someone makes one on ladder and gives me the info about how some of it works, I will gladly add it to the guide. next ladder season I plan on making a new Mangudai on ladder and testing some of the runewords.

Also, on the Valk Question. To be honest, even on a Zon, I find Valks to be rather stupid beings. Another thing is that you don't have any ability to boost Valks to the point where the gear they gain through additional points of Valk. They also lack the Synergies of the Dodge Sub-Tree, Crit Strike, and Penetrate, which makes them almost useless.

I can't tell you exactly how efficient they would be but here's a list of new RWs to look out for:

Brand
Faith
Fortitude
Ice

Also, I checked up on the Elemental damage from Dream and Dragon and it's not as high as I expected it to be. It's less than 100 average on each. As it turns out, the real benefit is only for Paladins wearing dual Dreams, which will stack for some reason or other to a level 30 Holy Shock, and can be synergized without any points in Holy Shock. I suppose Melee-Sorcs could also benefit from it... but either way, Mangudais won't see much gain in damage.

Fortitude, on the other hand, adds 300% Enhanced Damage along with some nice other mods and Resists. It's the new "in" armor for Bowazons so I think it'd be pretty much the same for Mangudais.

Brand has fun CtCs, Faith is amazing for obvious reasons, and Ice gives you Holy Freeze, but none of these spit out Magic Arrows :(.

I've actually been in a duel game with a barb on ladder west who was using Faith in a Collussus Crossbow, Fortitude in a Kraken's Shell, and Dream in +3BO +3 Shout Conqueror Crown(all superior) and some crafted or rare gloves with knockback and IAS, he was hurting people pretty well. Like a little steel panzer or something. :)

In one of my stupid attempts to PvP, I was able to go toe to toe with a Zon that was packing a BotD Hydra with a decent amount of success. I still lost, but compared to most other people in the game, I lasted longer and dealt more to her, and did beat her once even though I was down to under 20 HP. Open Wounds is a really underestimated mod. Because even if you lose, if they are down to under the Wound Damage for your level in Life, you can probably kill them before they run back to town, giving you an interesting Victory.

A well written guide,for a very challenging build.I suggest you add info on poison (charms & items),should add more teeth to the build.A six emerald bow on weapon switch should be a good idea for tough boss fights(ancients) & pvp.One shot from the poison bow,switch to widowmaker/witch & blaze away.You need loads more posion though from charms,six emmys alone wont cut it.

Razgriz

AdunaCCDanimoth said:
Feel free to post comments and questions. I am always open to advice.

I'm really addicted to barbs. Your guide has made me feel like building a Mangudai. If only for the style points... :D though I'm sure it's a very viable pvm option.

Cheers

I made a Mangudai last night and leveled him up to level 49 for low level dueling purposes, but I'm having some trouble dueling the higher leveled characters. especially other barbarians. I don't have access to a lot of super equipment.

The main problem is that with the Buriza, I'm missing a lot, Should I use angelics to boost my AR? or just switch bows to something like Demon Machine that fires explosive arrows?

Great guide btw.

Switch to Witchwild String and slap in a pair of Shael.

The reason why a Mangudai shouldn't use a Crossbow is the fact that a in the hands of a Barb, a crossbow is morbidly slow and no amount of IAS is going to change that. Demon Machine is slightly better in terms of speed, but simply cannot shoot as fast as a WWS with Shaels in it.

You didn't mention razortail in your belt section. IMO, this is the best belt for any missile character (thrower, strafer, etc.). The 33% pierce is amazing.

All in all, a great, well-written guide.

crg

The reason why Razortail did not make the cut it only has the 33% Piercing mod to fall on to make it a good belt. From my experience with my Mangudai, I have not encountered one place where piercing was needed over strategic use of Wards and War Cries. Nos Coil offers IAS, Slow, Leech, and +2 MPK. In the case of PvP, piercing is pretty pointless. This means that one can use Dungos to stay around long enough for OW/CB to start taking it's toll on whoever your shooting at. The same holds true for places with a high concentration of high-impact monsters, like Frenzytaurs or those $@^$@^ Styg Dolls.

BTW: Your avatar is looking a little.... bleh.

Just thought I would throw out that Brand fires splosive arrows/bolts, itd, amp, bonespear, deadly strike, knock back etc..last time I checked, splosive arrows require no att rating and always hit..For the rich, I would throw that in Sup Diamond, Shadow, Blade, or Ward bow. It would be fun if nothing else..good luck with it!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High