1.07 Ethereal Weapons

Excalibur

Guide Author
Jul 3, 2012
www.youtube.com
Hello guys,

I noticed that a lot players in 1.13 version trade items from 1.07, specifically ethereal weapons. I didn't manage to find any related help by googling so I want to ask how much better 1.07 ethereal items are?

When you move the items to 1.13 does it retain it's 1.07 options? Isn't it automatically changed to match the ones it should in the new version?

Also, the Price check guide doesn't show a price for a 1.07 6os Ethereal Berseker axe. Is it impossible to have such an item on 1.07 even if you move it to 1.13?

Thanks!

In 1.07 (and 1.08, incidentally), Ethereal items don't have the (*1.5) modifier, instead they have explicit +50%EDef (for armor) or +0/+50%ED(mindam/maxdam) on weapons (so it increases maxdam, but not mindam)...an eth War Sword, for example (8-20 damage) would do 8-30 damage. When forwarded to 1.09 or later, eth weapons get the (*1.5) modifier, but they also retain the +50%ED(max), so they do more damage than eth weapons from 1.09 or later...the bigger the maxdamage of the base, the greater the effect...

1.07/1.08 Eth armor, BTW, always has max base def+1, but is not as good for runewords that give +%EDef, as the +50%EDef bonus will combine additively instead of multiplicatively with the runeword's %EDef...(its better for RWs like Stealth or Treachery, though, which have no %EDef, because of the max base def+1 part...)

6OS Beserker Axes aren't listed, because there isn't a big demand, and because if you Larzuk a 'zerker, it will pretty much get 6OS, barring something like a cube-repaired ilvl1 item...so they are the easiest to get, other #OS have to drop that way or get that # from cube-socketing (in 1.10+, there is no cube socket formula in 1.07).

As Kitteh said, many 1.07 uniques have different stats...some are better (some a LOT better!), but the average is worse, and many uniques that are useful in modern patches are complete junk or not there at all...

WoRG

Last edited:
Bad example, kitteh, because ravenclaw changed the exploding arrow level crazily which is why people use it for twinking (to level 33ish iirc)

There's a whole series of posts on crazy 1.07 items, but I'll add to the discussion with what little I know.

WoRG explained the stacking of eth bonuses, so I'll just mention that certain items are most sought after for either Merc use (which doesn't reduce durability) or runewords with "indestructible". The "Infinity" runeword is very expensive, goes into a polearm, and makes your merc an immunity-breaker, so that's why eth 1.07 4os Threshers are so in demand. "Oath" and "Death" both make the weapon indestructible, so an eth 4os "Oath" or 5os "Death" Berzerker Axe is in high demand (though not as much as pre-1.13, since better runewords like Grief are much more obtainable now).

There are some difference in Set items (such as Laying of Hands, which has 50% Fire Absorb instead of Fire Resist), and lots differences in unique items - most 1.07 uniques are worse than their 1.09+ counterparts, but a few are definitely better (such as Arkaine's Valor). Those are the items you see in the price list.

The issue with Raven Claw, as I understand it, is that in 1.07 through 1.09 the GAME limits item-based skills like Exploding Arrow to level 1, so for whatever reason, the game designers made the item-generated level really high (like pharphis said, level 33) since that didn't make it into action due to the game limit. However, in 1.10 they removed the game limit and changed the item skill levels for a lot of those weapons, but, since time-travel items retain their original stats, a Raven Claw generated in 1.07-1.09, but converted to 1.10+ gives you a level 33 Exploding Arrow at level 15. I've actually read that other bows with built-in skills have similar mechanics, but Raven Claw is the one that is available at the lowest level. I guess I could look into converting some of these other bows/xbows and see if there's a similar impact.

Thanks for the info guys. On what WoRG said about 1.07 items retaining their 50% dmg but also gaining the (*1.5) modifier is considered to be a bug?

Lastly, I've never really seen anyone mentioning or trying to create an 1.07 Breath of the Dying. If 1.07 ethereal items are so powerful when forwarded I can only expect this runeworld to go crazy in damage right?

Well it'll only be 50% more ed so I wouldn't call it crazy. It'll go from 350-400 ed to 400-450 ed. And that extra 50 ed will only apply to the max damage. For most common runewords like oath I don't think anyone really bothers. For BOTD, it might be worth it. Myself, I consider time travelling as cheese ( along with atma-bugging ), so it's not for me.

As Zaphod said, the higher the +%ED on the runeword, the less of a difference the 1.07 'bonus' makes...but many people, ESPECIALLY PvPer's, like to get the very best available.

The 1.07 'bonus' isn't a bug, but rather the result of a modification made to game mechanics in patch 1.09...from the 1.09 patch notes (and in typical patch note vagueness):
Code:
- Changed the 'Ethereal' property to modify base stats.
WoRG

1.08 Valks used to be sought after for PvP.

High roll Death BA can come close to beating grief PB for a 1H zealot if you take the additional deadly strike, and comes with extra crushing blow. However grief pb is still excellent and totally worth making, better under decrep and holy freeze, itd etc. IMO don't make BOTD in one hand weapon, it'll be worse than grief except for very specific builds.

Okay, just the base damage of the Grief seems pretty much unreachable for other weapons. What do you mean by under Decrep and holy freeze?

I have a Zealer right now, 85 level with a Holy freezer aura mercenary. And one of the main reasons I want to make a new one is to train a Might Mercenary instead. Don't want to hire and replace the current one since the hireling will be much weaker and possibly his aura as well?

Thanks for the help!

Your hireling in current versions should be about your level.

That's what I am trying to avoid.

I want to make a new zealer to recruit a might hireling at around 40 level. I noticed that hirelings that gain level along with you are much more powerful in stats.

any hireling at a specific level will have the same stats, no matter at which level you hired him. exception is the difficulty difference: those hired in hell will have lower stats than those hired in nightmare and those in nightmare have lower stats than those in normal

I've never been a techy type of person when it comes to playing previous versions but what worth are the older items? Like a Eth BA? I'm sure I am far from affording one but what do they trade for? I've seen those crazy Zod bugged Axes which create an abundence of drool in my mouth. :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High