The Passive Aggressive Tournament

We are slowly moving through the false and true tombs and have acquired the Nokazan Relic Amulet, Unique Long Sword, Angelic Halo Ring, Tancred's Hobnails to add to our Tancred's Wierd Amulet for a set bonus of 78%MF. With that we decided to remove the Amulet of Luck with 31%MF and 6@resists.

Some of the tombs have been going rather slow and challenging on /p8, but we have successfully been able to break up the large summoned packs using our three main curses. We have incorporated the use of Confuse and Amplify Damage against the large undead packs and it has proven more efficient than using Attract and Amplify Damage as previously. Both Attract and Confuse tend to bring large gatherings from off screen, so when we cast it we have to expect to hunker down for some time or do some slight tactical withdrawals to regain the advantage again. We are hoping to reach Level 60 prior to our battle with Duriel. Since he normally drops junk, I think we will dial down our player setting to /p3 or /p5 as jiansonz recommended. Will we lose a bunch of XP if we do this?

Destroyer Hallow, Mizan and Gumby, Level 59, Clearing Tombs in A2.

I think we will dial down our player setting to /p3 or /p5 as jiansonz recommended. Will we lose a bunch of XP if we do this?

Very little, hardly noticeable. He's level 55, so you do get full XP for him since you will be within 5 levels difference but any boss pack in the tombs is worth more, I think.

EDIT: Failed to read rule #6 hehe. :p
Probably going to be playing a Summon Druid once I come back from the trip. Leaving today until Sunday. Speaking of rules, by rule #8, do we have to run from each dungeon back outside or...what? Can we S+E if cleared and want to return to town without using a scroll?

Last edited:
Speaking of rules, by rule #8, do we have to run from each dungeon back outside or...what? Can we S+E if cleared and want to return to town without using a scroll?

I am pretty sure that if the area around you is calm and has no monsters, it's OK.

I am pretty sure that if the area around you is calm and has no monsters, it's OK.
I think so too, but Pb might reply to confirm before I get back. I mean it's a little silly not to use it if nothing is nearby, like clearing the Den.

Best of luck to all! Gotta go.

Nice progress guys! Good luck on the final act, Jiansonz!

More progress was made. I can't say anything terribly interesting dropped, and I feel like I had terrible topaz luck, only getting the equivalent of 6 flawed topazes in the act.

I started using confuse more and got to like it a lot, so I started pumping it with point and it's now up to level 10. It's a very effective crowd control method, and it works great on unravelers. As southpaw said, it can agro huge amounts of monsters though! It's funny, because sometimes monsters who aren't cursed will attack ones that are. I wouldn't think it would work that way, but I've seen it a few times at least. Monsters don't kill each other that often, but they at least soften each other up a bit before the merc gets to them.

Durial was dispatched easily with a little help from my crushflange and I've moved on to act 3 and hired Flux the cold Iron Wolf. Flux was a lower level, but I had to hire him because of the name :p

Durial actually dropped me 4 rares, 1 blue, and a flawed gem. Statistically a good drop for him actually, with 1 failed set and unique also.

[highlight]WallE, level 28, kurast docks[/highlight]

@Interdasting - jiansonz nailed it (as usual). As long as it's a 'safe' S+E, I see no problem whatsoever with doing it. As a general rule, as long as you aren't re-killing monsters in previously cleared areas (except where absolutely necessary), you should be fine.

@Southpaw8668 - I feel your pain for the temples. Almost there!

--

Calabi has been worried about the upcoming task for nearly her whole adventure. It was time to face the Kurast temples. She prepped for the session by swapping out her 100% monster flee knives for a wand with terror charges (for the increased radius), and swapping her 'Passion' Axe for a tele staff. She kept the axe and knives in her inventory so she could switch back to her regular gear once they got established inside the temples. The thing that worried her was that with no FCR, she has a 19-frame casting rate. That makes a panic teleport very tough to pull off, as it would require almost a full second of not getting hit to successfully cast it. Either way, it was better than nothing, so off she went.

We did Sarina's temple first. We went down the stairs and were almost immediately confronted with this might enchanted Flesh Hunter pack:

9b7a0qz.jpg

We had plenty of room to work with there, so it wasn't much of an issue. We also knew because of the temple layout that we were likely in no danger of waking Sarina's pack as she tends to stay put in the bigger room in the south-west. The rest of that temple was a breeze. Good start!

The second temple we went into had a pack of regular flesh hunters waiting by the stairs. We got lucky with our spawn points, and Calabi spawned outside of the pack, with the valk dead centre inside them. This meant they immediately went for the valk, and Kasim and Calabi could take them from the outside. Had Calabi and the valk been reversed, that could have been a very scary entrance! This temple actually had no boss or champ packs in it, just 3 seperate packs of regular Flesh Hunters. The rest of the temples were done with ease as well, and just like in normal difficulty, the Ruined Fane only had 4 regular bats in it. Not 4 packs of bats, just one pack of 4 bats (in normal we had the same thing, but with snakes). What is it with this place? All in all, a very underwhelming temple experience (which is a good thing!), no NDE's, no need for either of my 'safety-precaution' equipment switches, no really scary situations at all.

The council was a joke, and were easily killed by leading them out 1-2 at a time and killing them down by that big platform. The OW and CB from Calabi's new Gore Rider boots has had a noticeable effect on the higher life/physical immune or stone skin bosses.

We got maulers in the durance (level 1 and 2), so that made things fairly difficult at times. Their knockback can render the Decoy pretty much useless, and has the added effect of breaking our formations, which keeps us on the move. I have two main tactics to deal with tough packs of them, and it depends entirely on the situation which one I will use. I either split them up between the valk and merc/decoy, which takes alot of focus from Calabi to keep them contained, or I can use Calabi's preferred valk/decoy+wall sandwich tactic. That is the valk pressed into the corner, and this SS was taken after Kasim had killed a couple of these guys. She easily survived taking a simultaneous beating from 3 Extra fast, Extra Strong maulers, with her health never dropping below half.

A PI/Conviction Bremm gave us a boatload of trouble on Mephy's level. Kasim died pretty much instantly, and Bremm even managed to take out the valk a couple times.

9jlUyrt.jpg

This was the safest way we could fight him, and it was still terrifying, as his aura put Calabi down to -10LR so she had to be very careful of the bolts.

A poison immune valk (note in the screenie she is not green) made Meph a walk in the park as the CB from Kasim and Calabi made a mockery of him on /p3. He must have been embarassed, because with his final breath he made sure to give us nothing even remotely useful. Onwards to Act IV!

We drew spawners and spitters in all 3 outdoor areas, so it took a long time to clear them out. They each have fairly high Physical resistance (66% and 50% respectively), so coupled with Kasim and the valk getting distracted by the babies, it was very slow going at /players 5. This pack probably killed Kasim 7 or 8 times alone, as the CE made it very hard to establish a foothold. Lots of backtracking and portal hopping allowed us to separate them into manageable chunks.

Izual was not even close to a problem, and didn't even take very long, due to Calabi's CB. We cleared the City of the Damned out, and decided to call it quits for the day.

Other finds:
- our fifth (!) Lum Rune. We can now cube a Ko if need be.
- Radament's Sphere Ancient Shield. Interesting, but useless.

Depending on what the Hellforge drops, we will be making our (most likely) final gear-switches at the next WP, so I turn to the lovely folks at the SPF for some advice! I'm most likely going to socket Calabi's Tal Rasha's Helm, I'm just not sure what with. I'm tempted to just go for a PRuby for the life, but I'm wondering if a Sol rune for the PDR would be a good option? She has a bit of PDR/MDR from her rings, but not much (4 PDR, 2 MDR). If I do go the Sol route, I'm thinking I might add in an upped Nightsmoke for more damage reduction/damage to mana. I'm not very well versed in how effective PDR is, but I have a feeling such a small amount won't make a huge difference, and I'm better off maximizing my life total. Thoughts?

[highlight]Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 87, Hell River of Flame Next[/highlight]

--

Code:
Table of Heroes:
Forum Name     Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          86     A5(H)     Harrogath
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         87     A4(H)     River of Flame
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         59     A2(NM)    False Tombs
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  35     A5        Harrogath
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          10     A1        Stony Field
jamesixgun     Druid        John           6      A1        Rogue Encampment
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   1      A1        Rogue Encampment

The Fallen (RIP):
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

@jiansonz : thanks for the reply but we already took the big crabbie at /p3 and it was passive just sort of a slow kill.

I guess I could have ran in there and took a couple whacks with my OW weapon, but I decided to play it safe and just switch between cursing him with Amp, IM and Decertify. If only by a small margin, I do think that IM won the challenge, due to his heavy hits on the IG which barely phased Gumby. His health never drop below 75%, Neither of my running mates died in the battle, as I forced Duriel to focus his attentions on Gumby and Mizan was safe on his right rear flank. He dropped us an even better weapon that will provide us some nice AOE damage and two set armors.

We are headed to the docks to speak with Oramus.

View attachment 1000

View attachment 1001

Destroyer Hallow, Mizan and Panzergumby, Level 60, Kurast Docks

In the land of ranged attackers, Teleport has easily been the MVP skill. Quickly in and quickly out telebombing to make Waheed suffer less damage (and give him time to heal when we have fled). Many resurrections have also been needed.

When I look at my screenies, there are none that shows the main gameplay against all these ranged attackers, not even from situations that were very interesting. The explanation is simple - the action was so fast that there was no time for screenies.

Burning Dead Archers and Slingers on the foothills. A couple of times the archers were so many that I had to lure parts of a massive gathering away from the others. It takes time but it's usually possible. When achers are close enough to notice us but not close enough to fire, they will move closer if the terrain allows it.

Found an ethereal Colossus Voulge here. It has 4 sockets max, so it could make a very damaging Insight. I did not want to use one of my two remaining socket rewards on it - those are planned for other things. As my current merc weapon was good enough and my other planned merc weapon felt within reach, I settled for a shot with the socket recipe.
50% chance of success. It worked, and the roll on it was also good!

SissyH21%20semi%20monster_zpspwliqrrt.jpg

The STR requirement is taken care of with the help of Twitchthroe (202 with it).

As this was a slower weapon, I went back to an earlier difficulty to socket Waheed's helm with a Ruby Jewel of Fervor. No, not the famous RJoF, but one where Ruby means fire resist (really weird that they use the same prefix name for two different things. Oversight?):
SissyH22%20socket_zps1pytflrv.jpg

This was a pecfect fit now - the fire resist was exactly enough to take Waheed's to 75.

Arreat Plateau had imps and Blood Bringers. I think the latter are the hardest hitters in the game when it comes to damage per hit of a non-boss monster. Frenzytaurs and Minions of Destruction may be stronger meleers overall but that's because they combine decent hard-hitting with a fast attack speed. Combine the strong base damage of a Blood Bringer with something that boosts damage and you get a powerful boss. Amp on top of that makes for a real beast:
SissyH23%20Bane%20Dancer_zpskjjkbb01.jpg

Bane Dancer killed Waheed five times.

Thresh Socket was just as bad - Cursed Might Spectral Hit!

PI frenzytaurs in one of the bonus areas. Sissy helped Waheed fighting those so he did not have to suffer so long.
A boss of these critters could have been troublesome but there were none.

A look at her stats at that time:
SissyH24%20new%20stats_zpslj6269yg.jpg

AR is almost where I want it now. With the new DEX investment (to have enough for Gimmershred), blocking has increased to 28%.

The following ice caves had pretty easy monster draws. Speedy chilling archer women can be tricky to fight for a melee merc but Teleport makes it much easier, as you can lure them to you and force them into walls and corners.

Grailer in a container:
SissyH25%20Ward_zpslbu1nfsq.jpg

Too late now for something with that kind of strength requirement - it's not that good anyway. I looked up the partial set bonus for two items in this set (I have Haemosu's armor). Pathetic.

The tactic in Pindle's garden was to force Waheed to stay back with teleports so he could meet the first undead in the narrow passage close to the portal. He got knocked back a little and hurt a little but with potion help and a re-teleport, he could hold his ground. Nice, I've been wary of this area.

Two very easy monster types on first floor of the temple - apes and melee skeletons. Devilkin packs made it tricky anyway. The narrow halls makes it harder to get the warriors away from the shamans. But unlike their relatives in Act I, these aren't FI so they die very quickly. Warriors bouncing all over the place.

When I mopped up the last bits of this floor, the 'ignore merc' bug hit. That, along with the fact that a skeleton had dropped a very significant Ko rune made me save and exit after this floor. I could imagine many monster types where ignore merc bug would be really bad for me.

Okay, last socket reward used, Fal cubed from Ko x2 and Lum x3, beastly weapon created:
SissyH26%20MONSTER_zpstpnvdtzz.jpg

The ctc casts lower level Enchants than my L23 version and it does it without Warmth synergy and Mastery bonus, but it's apparently still good enough to kill PI monsters (the -fire resist on enemies helps).

The session started with me luring Pindle's pack closer so I could teleport over it and reach the exit. Scary, but I've done this before. Then a quick-but-controlled dash with occasional teleports through Halls of Valor. Lucked out a bit here - few monsters at first, then just Devilkins again.

Very hectic and action packed Halls of Pain, against Zealots/Heirophants, porcupines and Flayer blowdarters.

Last floor of the temple had two types of PI monsters: Ghosts and Hell Temptresses. Large packs of Temptresses were hard to fight. No leech made Waheed take tons of damage quickly. Sometimes I could break up large packs by luring away (tempting the temptresses :) ) some of them but they were often stubborn.

One of Nihlathak's abilities was Teleportation. Talk about fail...
In order to protect Waheed and myself from the only real danger in the fight, I made sure to explode the corpses first:
SissyH27%20mess_zpszlqhsitl.jpg

What a mess it became. The 11 charges were enough to last the fight (I could afford to have Waheed take a few when I was well away. His CE radius (and damage) is nerfed a lot since v1.09 where he could often one-hit you from off-screen). I know it says the weapon has 12 charges but the last one does not work. I prefer the Diablo 1 way where you can actually wrest out one more than the listed number of charges if you are quick...

Waheed is so amazing with his new weapon! Really fast attack speed, it chills and the damage is so huge that his only life steal (3% on the helm) makes him able to tank almost any leechable melee mob. Obedience also has a decent Defense bonus. I think Waheed has well over 6600 Defense now, and that is with gear that isn't much suited for Defense. If my rune luck had been better, he could have had an ethereal elite 'Stone' armor or something like that...

Recent finds:
- Steel (111) Grand Charm of Strength (5) Awesome!
- 4s Champion Axe (requires just 1 more STR than a Silver-Edged)

A weapon like my Obedience must be very easy for twinking players to assemble. I sometimes read about twinked characters and I then often think: "with merc gear like that, why do you need the character to do anything?".

[Highlight]Conqueror Sissy the Axe Enchantress and Waheed the Defiance guard, level 86, Hell Ancients' Way next[/Highlight]

Last edited:
@jiansonz - Amazing progress once again, I'm blown away! Now THAT is a great merc weapon, and I love the helm too, very cool! Lol at Nilly having teleport, gotta love those redundancies. Final stretch now, good luck!

--

Calabi also made progress yesterday, first by doing some muling and switching into what will be her final gear (barring socket quests or big finds). Feeling much better about her life total, she then travelled down into the River of Flame to see what she could find. Almost right away she was presented with this:

Shimmering Grand Charm of Sustenance
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 37
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x7ea40900
+29 to Life
All Resistances +14

Not a bad start to the session! :D

Hephasto was a little kitten. We moved down so we could get a screenie where you could read the mods, but then Calabi got in there and her CB/OW did the trick in no time. Her Gore Riders are quickly becoming a huge part of her success, never underestimate the power of those mods. The Hellforge was not what we had hoped for. We used our remaining Fal for Kasim's end-game armor (Lionheart) back in Act 2, because we didn't want to hold out for Obedience and never see a Ko. Now we have the equivalent of 2, if we cube our Lum runes. :rolleyes: Oh well, it was the right decision at the time, and you never know what you're going to find, so I can't regret it too much.

We moved up through the rest of the River with no problems. I guess the monsters had caught wind of us coming because they set up a little roadblock for us on the bridges. They didn't think it through very well though, since Kasim 2-shots them all, even on /p5.

The Chaos Sanctuary was a little tricky, as it was filled with Doom Knights. We had to lure them far away from their mages, as 3-4 of them would easily destroy the Decoy even without curses like Decrep and Amp on us. So we had to lead them away and then seperate them into manageable groups for Calabi and Kasim to take down safely.

Since a big theme for me in this tournament has been being a broken record about how awesome Slow Missiles is, here's another example! This conviction Pit Lord boss pack should have been quite tricky to deal with:

CStzXP4.jpg

But with SM, their infernos are basically just for show. As long as we could keep Kasim out of the LE spark paths, he had no trouble whatsoever.

The seal bosses were done without issue, we had to portal out of the dead ends at De Seis and the Infector and run back from the WP. But other than that small inconvenience, it was easy to separate the minions and take them in manageable groups.

We lowered the players setting to 3 and hit the last seal, ready to face Diablo. We ran in, set up our decoy at the spawn point, and waited for him to appear. Kasim ran up and instantly got vaporized by his firestorm. We backed off and portaled out to revive him and he got instantly killed by Diablo's Cold melee attack. Okay, let's try this without him then.

l9JrmS8.jpg

That was the strategy. Diablo wouldn't focus on the valk long when calabi was in range, so she was taking some serious damage from his melee and firestorm attacks. In retrospect, I should have done some gear switching to make sure my FR was maxed on my axe switch for this fight. Calabi would back off a few steps and let D go for the valk, then run in and whack away applying CB and OW and tanking him for a while. We were making good progress when he decided to do a series of firestorms, which caused us to use up the rest of our belt's worth of rejuvs. So we made some distance and made a new portal to town (the one in the screenie was far too close). We resurrected Kasim, refilled our belt, and went back to continue the fight.

We got through the portal and were sprinting for the big guy when all of a sudden we got bone prisoned. We could see Diablo at the edge of the screen moving towards us. This is not good. We had brought our teleport staff with us in the inventory, but forgot to switch it for our axe before re-entering the portal. What a foolish mistake to make at this stage of the game! We saw him winding up for a lightning hose, switched to our staff as quickly as we could, and managed to teleport out of the prison just as the hose hit it. Way too close for comfort. I have no idea if we would have been able to break out with our axe faster, but I certainly didn't want to risk it. Right after this, Kasim got fried again. So we settled in the same as before, and with another belt-full of full rejuvs we got Diablo slivered. Kasim was resurrected, we switched out to full mf gear, and went back in for the kill.

This is what a Hell Diablo kill with over 400%mf looks like, apparently.:rolleyes: We have found absolutely nothing of use from any Act Boss in Hell, despite doing them all with over 400 mf. At least they're consistent!

I could have done several things differently in that fight to make it safer. I could have equipped the teleport staff (I swear I meant to!), or better yet just ran back from the WP instead of portalling back. We also should have boosted fire and lighting resists on the axe switch to max. Calabi is usually such a safe character that I guess I let my guard down. Lesson learned, we will not get lazy in Act V!

So with that done, we went back to NM and socketed Calabi's helm with the PRuby. I'm still not sure if the Sol would be a better option, but I figured it only counts towards physical damage, whereas +life covers elemental as well. I'm happy with it for now, but if a better option comes along, I've got lots of Hel runes lying around. :)

Here is a snapshot of what Calabi's stats look like in her (most likely) final gear while she hangs out with the Barbarians for a while:

H2E4saz.jpg

Resists are currently 56/60/71/41 on her axe switch. We will do a full gear breakdown when her journey is complete.

Recent finds (other than what's listed above):
- a few elite polearms with the right amount of sockets, that's about it.

[highlight]Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 87, Hell Harrogath[/highlight]

Shimmering Grand Charm of Sustenance
+29 to Life
All Resistances +14

Wow, amazing charm!

We got through the portal and were sprinting for the big guy when all of a sudden we got bone prisoned. We could see Diablo at the edge of the screen moving towards us. This is not good. We had brought our teleport staff with us in the inventory, but forgot to switch it for our axe before re-entering the portal. What a foolish mistake to make at this stage of the game! We saw him winding up for a lightning hose, switched to our staff as quickly as we could, and managed to teleport out of the prison just as the hose hit it. Way too close for comfort. I have no idea if we would have been able to break out with our axe faster, but I certainly didn't want to risk it.

Another option is to cast a town portal. It absolutely looks like it spawns too far away to click on, but it usually works.

I could have done several things differently in that fight to make it safer. I could have equipped the teleport staff (I swear I meant to!), or better yet just ran back from the WP instead of portalling back.

When I need to take break in this fight (for potion refill, merc resurrection, or just a need to calm down, etc), I run about 2 screens away from him, then portal out.

Not a bad roll on the drop, MF wise - three golds and a green. Just crappy TC picks...

Nice going and good luck in the last act!

Hi Everyone,

It's been over two years since I last played D2, but I got the desire to play again and I'm glad to see this form is still active. I thought what better way is there to get back into the game then a tournament like this.

I plan on making a barb as they seem to be ignored, but I must warn you I am horribly out of practice with the game, I've never been great at single pass, and I have never played a barb in a passive way before (I don't think I have ever cast grim ward in 10+ years of playing).

Having said that, let me introduce you to Rocky:

Rocky: "What do you mean I'm kicked out of the Harrogath School of the Gifted!”

Qual-Kehk: “I’m sorry Rocky, but we have limited resources and we can’t afford to waste them on a warrior who can’t even perform basic attack moves.”

Rocky: “Who cares about your special combat moves, there is nobody stronger than me at the whole school. I take the hardest hits and keep going and nobody seems to notice. Sigurd spins in circles with his axe blade facing out and everybody cheers.”

Qual-Kehk: “Sigurd is one of our finest warrior pupils and will be a great weapon against the enemies at our door. However, not all barbarians are meant to be warriors, you do possess great strength and I know that Larzuk is looking to hire an apprentice. Perhaps you could train to become a blacksmith and live a more passive lifestyle.”

Rocky: “PASSIVE! You want me to live a passive lifestyle! I was born to be a warrior and if you won’t have me here I’ll venture out on my own and track down the evils of hell without you or your precious combat moves.”

With that Rocky left Horrogath and headed to a small rouge encampment where he heard rumors of suspicious activity…

Hallow, Mizan were working their way through the Great Marsh and they had just entered one of the tunnels there. I had just swapped out from the much higher LR gear (Sig armor and two rare rings), which had me up in the 70% range because I had multiple NDEs with the Gloams. When two or three would hit me at once with my MF gear on I would darn near bite it every time. Man, what dumb mistake that was. :oops: I didn't see any more Gloams lately, so I thought we were safe with just the Flayers and big Hulks running around. However, I completely forgot about those lightning bats that put you in hit recovery big time. Went through the entrance to the tunnel (can't recall which one it was exactly), got hit by a boss pack of angry flaming spiders, which made short order of the FG and was starting to smoke Mizan, so I drifted back to the entrance of the tunnel with two spiders perusing me and ignoring Mizan and got surprised by some awaiting Champion Bats that came around from the adjacent tunnel. I kept chugging full purples but couldn't move anywhere, I had backed myself into a corner and was in full hit recovery with no Mizan to aid.

Oh well, we had tons of fun and quite pleased with our progress. You guys are amazing with your patience and knowledge of this game. Good luck everyone, haven't quite decided if I want to start another, but I'll let you know if I just can't resist.

@Pb_pal - Thanks for hosting such a fun tournament.

Hallow, Mizan met our match right after leveling, Level 61, Great Marsh.

@Bee - Welcome to the tournament, and back to D2 in general! I'm glad you chose a barb, I think they can be pretty interesting in this setting. Good luck!

@Southpaw8668 - Ouch, condolences on the deeds. Both the spiders and the bats I find to be deceptively dangerous. The bats can move around so erratically that it makes it even harder. Congrats on making it as far as you did, that's no small achievement! Definitely let us know if you decide to re-enter, we'd love to have you back. :)

John took his birds out for a bit today on a largely uneventful trip to rescue Cain. The birds killed a couple of fallen in the Dark Wood (on P1). I'll leave a few alive when John clears that out in the next session.

One near-NDE (still had 1/4 life left, but it was by far the scariest he's had it yet) against Rakanishu. I've been surprised how easily John and his birds mow down everything.

He cast a level 1 Spirit Wolf at the beginning of the session that he unsummoned before running through the Dark Wood, then resummoned again under a Skill Shrine just before going through Tristram. I was surprised how hearty the level 1 wolf is. It's likely to stay that way till

The Stony Field and Underground Passage were taken on p7; Tristram on p5.

No finds of interest (maybe a couple of failed uniques), but we did find the first and second chipped topaz's of this playthorugh, so John finally has a bit of MF.

Sorry for the lack of updates... not much play of late.

[highlight]John the Hunter Druid, level 13, and Basanti the Ice Rogue. Cain: rescued. Next up: the Dark Wood, Countess & Tamoe Highland, A1 Normal[/highlight]

Reasonably easy Ancients' Way. Don't even remember for sure what we fought. Spearwomen, frozen creepers, lightning dogs? Vipers maybe (I got those Bone Spear-tossers a lot). Something like that. There was one evil urn but it must have rolled the spawning point 'out of bounds' because nothing showed up. Have had that happen a few times before.

Icy Cellar: bumped into multicolored Frenzytaurs a short ways from the stairs. Champs or boss pack, danger! Instant teleport back. That may well have been the key move here, because the other direction only had some regular bone fetish and gloams at first. I could secure enough space to easily separate some Hell Lord Champs. We could chill them. Ah, I have been wrong before. Apparently, it's only the Death Lords that have CBF.

We took that first boss pack second-to-last in this place. Turned out to be a Cursed CE pack.
An evil urn remained. What will it spawn? A choice here between three of the most infamous monster types in the game. It was gloams, and I did a quick teleport away. No problem.

Ancients cursed Waheed right away. I was about to respawn them, but I thought we should at least take a look at them first. Both Korlic and Talic had Cursed but it looked OK otherwise. Quick teleporting lost Talic at the upper end. Waheed took damage from the other two but held his ground with the help of potions. Madawc had knockback axes, quite annoying. He was also unpredictible with his targetting. He surprised Sissy and suddenly aimed his double throw at her. She lost half her life! Ouch. I tried to keep more distance and be ready to dodge his axes. Waheed defeated Korlic and I could focus on getting Waheed to press Madawc against a wall. A little tricky because of the knockbacks, but we managed.

Last man standing:
SissyH28%20Talic_zpsmgozjtvg.jpg

He was almost an afterthought. He couldn't hurt Waheed much. So much depends on their weapons (they get random magical ones, elites on Hell (of course)).

WSK level 1 then decided to do what it could to kill us. Cursing Vile Witches, Death Lord bosspacks in three directions after a while, one of them spiced up with a Marauder bosspack. I had teleport-retreated from all the Death Lord bosspacks this far. The Marauder boss himself had been lured back and killed but most of that pack remained, and the Death Lords in that direction were CE so I really wanted to avoid those until later.

Of course I wanted to fight one 'taur at a time but calm space was getting quite limited. Three minions without their boss followed close to the stairs, feels like we won't get a better chance. Time to make a stand!
These guys are FI. Ugh.
SissyH29%20minions_zps7bsek8tb.jpg

Boss time:
SissyH30%20Pit%20Spell_zps90hm03cq.jpg

This was after a Waheed resurrection. Pit Spell owned him at first, and I almost panicked, standing there next to frenzied freak. Stairs to the Summit - GET OUTTA HERE! Phew.

The CE boss had another ace up his sleeve - Stone Skin => our 5th FIPI enemy:
SissyH31%20Gimmer%20doing%20fine_zps9wusidwt.jpg

But so did we - Gimmershred! See the distance Sissy has to the boss in the screenie? MUCH better than I thought would be possible. Could be mostly due to large monster size but it was still a pleasant surprise. Waheed uses Insight here, for the poisoning.

WSK 2: Bats, poison mages and beetles. Non-trivial only when a mage boss Amped us around some bat Champs but that still wasn't so bad.

WSK 3: Doom/OB Knights, PI Temptresses and imps. I knew the danger of those harpies from Nilly's floor, and I was extemely careful around them. Good old Black Hack made an appearance as the worst of the lot:
SissyH32%20Black%20Hack_zpswnsyxczb.jpg

Throne level: Stygian Furies, Horadrim Ancients and Burning Souls. Souls getting resurrected by Ancients affected the gameplay - I gave priority to killing the mummies first whenever possible. And since Achmel's pack can raise undead, I made sure to lure out all Souls from the throne room. The 3rd last of them dropped a Mal rune. Nice, haven't seen many of those, ever.

Nothing special to say about the waves and Baal. Pretty routine. Separated the MoDs to fight them one at a time, and stood behind Waheed to prevent knockback and to let my bleeding axe do its thing one last time.

Decided to do something fun for the cow level. After I had put 'IoIo' in my orb, I had to dip all the way down into my Dol supply to cube the Lum I needed:
SissyH33%20new%20axe_zpslaoggfct.jpg

Yes, I know it isn't ethereal but how was I supposed to know I should have saved those...

Hm, I wonder if I must wield the axe to support the summons? These are charges, after all.
SissyH34%20crap_zpsbgca3km7.jpg

I guess that's a yes. Not sure if wearing +All skills would have worked.

Had to teleport around quite a bit to find a good place to have as base to lure back cows in manageable pack sizes to. I saw Fanaticism cows and Conviction cows. I later found out that there were two packs of extra fast cows as well. Could have been bad news if those had found us early on.

The 4-people barmy army:
SissyH35%204-people%20army_zpstj8glaws.jpg

Quite fun to swing a big axe with a 10 frames attack! It still took Sissy quite a while to kill a cow. Hell cows are pretty sturdy critters. Less whiffing now when HoW was available - AR up to almost 3800. Sissy was supplemental at best when it comes to damage dealing in this place.

Useless but interesting fact: you can Enchant a Heart of Wolverine. :)

A little problem occured here with the ctc Enchant on Obedience. I could now no longer recast it on Waheed while I held the axe (my level 20 is lower than the level 21 the weapon casts) and switching weapons kills the summons.

The golem couldn't survive much heat. It had less than 1000 life. It really needs a hefty Mastery, I suppose.

Using the summons was mostly for fun. I am sure we would have been more effective playing "normally" (or maybe by making heavy use of Black's Corpse Explosions instead) but I wanted to do this now that I couldn't enjoy a Passion axe.

Recent finds:
* Ko rune (cow level, again)
* Silver Silver-Edged Axe (stutter item for Scavenger Hunt 4)

[Highlight]Guardian Sissy the Axe Enchantress and Waheed the Defiance guard, level 87, Complete Game Clear[/Highlight]

Last edited:
Gratz on the Guardian!

And on top of the non-ethereal base the ED roll is horrid!

FollowTheBear has made Destroyer status and cleared the cow level. In Act 1 NM at level 48.9.

Act V was easy with a lot of level ups. The bear is becoming a force to be reckoned with. Ancients were cake on p1. Baal was really easy on p8, but I had a little help from a find. Overall, it was boring and easy. Cows were surprisingly weak. I was expecting more, but they were dropping to my poison creeper at an alarming rate! Merc and Bear could one shot them. Cow King dropped Death's Gloves, but missing the belt.

On the way to Pindle,
Screw%20Baal.jpg

Hello 50% slow!

I got Baal to an easy fighting position. No one in my party really lost any life.
Baal%20Combat.jpg

LCS for those interested:
Killing%20Baal%20LCS.jpg

With the unique club my resistances are maxed (and cold is at 64).
Baal's Drop had a unique item at least:
Baal%20Drop.jpg

I can now outfit a merc with The Face of Horror and Rattlecage for a whopping 90% flee! Combined with the bear's knockback, nothing will ever get done!

Holy crap, awesome job Jiansonz!

I about crapped my pants when you had red text in your screenshot with the Death Lord boss...
And cool fact about enchanting the spirit. They are the most aggressive of the summons/mercs anyways.

@thefranklin - Congrats on the Destroyer!

@jiansonz - Amazing! Huge congrats on the first Guardian of the tournament! Sissy's adventures have been very fun to follow, I'm glad she made it the whole way. :) You have successfully made me want to play an enchantress, so maybe I'll try one out in the next tournament that crops up. Amazing job again, and you managed to assemble quite a bit of powerful gear. Any final thoughts on her?

I know it's normally been one table per page, but I think this calls for an exception!

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          87     A5(H)     Full Game Clear

Table of Heroes:
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         87     A5(H)     Harrogath
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
jamesixgun     Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          10     A1        Stony Field
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   1      A1        Rogue Encampment
Bee            Barbarian    Rocky          1      A1        Rogue Encampment

The Fallen (RIP):
Southpaw8668  Necromancer  Hallow          61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

PurePremium