Thoughts on the Auradin?

Fire_Dragon

Dec 24, 2003
Thoughts on the Auradin?

Hi all, I'm gearing up an Auradin because a friend insists I come pub'ing with him. I was hoping to get the low down on these palys. I've never played one before (or even against), but I have seen them go to town on ppl before.

Does anyone have any experience with or against them? I'm mostly just looking for peoples opinions on what works/doesn't, what they are good at/not so good at etc.

Opinions are welcome!

Re: Thoughts on the Auradin?

If you stack the Auradin then they are pretty much invincible (although this is extremely BM).

If you don't stack, the Auradin is no different from a Charger or a Zealot, except that they use Conviction and elemental damage. Without stacking they are actually pretty easy to kill.

If you stack the Auradin
People talk about stacking as though it were something special. I can't think of an Auradin build that *doesn't* stack their auras. What does this statement even mean?

People talk about stacking as though it were something special. I can't think of an Auradin build that *doesn't* stack their auras. What does this statement even mean?
By stacking, people are referring to an item glitch.
For example, a non-glitched "stacked Auradin" would have a gear setup like dual Dream, HOJ and Dragon armor combo; which would grant you 4 additional auras on top of your conviction: 2 Holy Shocks and 2 Holy Fires.

From my understanding, when glitched stacking occurs, it increases the number of additional Offensive Auras granted by your gear so your damage output would be much higher (either that or it increases the level of those auras, I'm not too sure of the actual background process other than the fact that it gives you a buttload of extra damage). If you repeatedly glitch-stack it, it'll get to a point where it takes one pulse to kill most PvP chars and two or three pulses to kill Diablo in Hellmode--which obviously, currently makes it the fastest way to kill anything on Diablo 2.

Hi all, I'm gearing up an Auradin because a friend insists I come pub'ing with him. I was hoping to get the low down on these palys. I've never played one before (or even against), but I have seen them go to town on ppl before.

Does anyone have any experience with or against them? I'm mostly just looking for peoples opinions on what works/doesn't, what they are good at/not so good at etc.

Opinions are welcome!

I have a dual Dream/HOJ/Dragon Auradin, and in legit gameplay, it just doesn't compare to other Conviction centered builds when it comes to all-roundedness. I know builds like Novasorcs running Conviction, or even my FoHer does better than he does.
First of all, to even deliver an amount of damage that makes a difference, you're putting a lot of points into skills like Resist Fire, Resist Light and Salvation. These are three auras you'll never use (all Auradins run Conviction as the main aura); and it takes away a lot of points from skills like the Holy Shield/Defiance synergy--which is easily the most valuable skill a Paladin has. If I remember correctly, my Auradin only has ~7k defense, and he can't take more than one or two hits from most melee builds. This of course, makes melee skills like Charge or Smite really dangerous for an Auradin to use (despite it being useful).
It's more like a lazy-man's way to duel; all you do is run around and avoid getting hit (I know some PvP Auradins don't even bother with max block) until your opponents eventually flop. But the down side to it is that the individual Auras aren't too powerful even with the right synergies, so if you run into a tough Barb (or any hard+fast hitter for that matter) or somebody deliberately trying to sorb you, you're done. Auradins are pretty good against some builds though, I've been able to beat builds like Javazons, certain Smiter builds, etc. quite easily.

-Kinky

Last edited:

From my understanding, when glitched stacking occurs, it increases the number of additional Offensive Auras granted by your gear so your damage output would be much higher (either that or it increases the level of those auras, I'm not too sure of the actual background process other than the fact that it gives you a buttload of extra damage). If you repeatedly glitch-stack it, it'll get to a point where it takes one pulse to kill most PvP chars and two or three pulses to kill Diablo in Hellmode
The only thing I've read about that resembles this is the old stacking bug on mercenaries, which was quickly patched. If something like this existed for players, and it didn't involve a 3rd party hack, surely it'd be talked about in nearly every Dreamer or Auradin guide. Yet I've never read about it or encountered it in-game. I'd appreciate a more detailed explanation of what this is.

Edit: Nevermind. Found an explanation. Very cheesy and I'm surprised it wasn't patched a long, long time ago.

Edit 2: Was just testing this "stacking" glitch on my local network. If it still exists, I have been unable to replicate it.

Last edited:

The only thing I've read about that resembles this is the old stacking bug on mercenaries, which was quickly patched. If something like this existed for players, and it didn't involve a 3rd party hack, surely it'd be talked about in nearly every Dreamer or Auradin guide. Yet I've never read about it or encountered it in-game. I'd appreciate a more detailed explanation of what this is.

Edit: Nevermind. Found an explanation. Very cheesy and I'm surprised it wasn't patched a long, long time ago.

Edit 2: Was just testing this "stacking" glitch on my local network. If it still exists, I have been unable to replicate it.

It is not widely discussed here because it's exploiting a bug that happens to undermine the entire game. I think in particular it's highly frowned upon here, I will not say how to replicate the glitch but I will say that it does work and I've seen it before.

So long as someone has taken the initiative to report it to Blizzard. It would be incredibly lame if this sort of thing wasn't patched in 1.13.

So basically unless I'm willing to "stack" my auradin (which I'm not btw) I might as well make a different type of dueler? The way I had heard people complain about the auradin I figured it was a build that could really bring the hurt vs all caster types etc.

Hmm, well now I'm stuck with some very nice auradin gear :scratchchin:

Anyone have any positive experiences with the build that does not involving "stacking?"

The auras, if synergized, still add a subtantial amount to your melee damage. There are several PvP Auradin builds that revolve around Charging their opponents.

Auradin = Dual Element Glitch BMer. Beatable with extreme Absorb.

Dreamdin = Strong (Grief + Forty/Eni/Shaft) Charge and/or Zeal Paladin with Additional Lightning Damage from the Aura and to the Weapon. Cannot be nulified with extreme Absorb.

Try Torchadin its guide is in the sticky. I helped Sam make it by gunea pigging it with Whateverdin. lvl 48 Holy Fire is very effective. And very legit. If theysorb fire then use lightning. If they sorb fire and lightning then you still a good charger because they lose their def gears for sorb.

Auradin = Dual Element Glitch BMer. Beatable with extreme Absorb.

Dreamdin = Strong (Grief + Forty/Eni/Shaft) Charge and/or Zeal Paladin with Additional Lightning Damage from the Aura and to the Weapon. Cannot be nulified with extreme Absorb.

I advocate this too. I have a Dreamer for PvM except he uses lastwish. He would do pretty well in PvP if I stuck a Grief on him. I don't know what aura would be more important to max though, conviction or fanaticism? Maybe someone with more dueling experience can help out there.

I sort of want to try an eDeath Zerker. Think this would be a good weapon?

I sort of want to try an eDeath Zerker. Think this would be a good weapon?

Not for PvP it's not, less damage than Grief, slower and no -25 target defense.

Death zerker would need 60 IAS to hit the fastest zeal breakpoint along with Fanaticism.

You'd be better off using Doom if you really didn't want to go with the more traditional Grief.
A nifty +2 all skills, and more importantly, the Holy Freeze could really mean a difference in duels.

-Kinky

Tbh I just want something that I don't have to repair lol! But eDeath did sound pretty cool. I was under the impression that charge didn't rely on weapon speed, did this change?

No, Charge doesn't take weapon speed into account, it's unchanged :)

So basically unless I'm willing to "stack" my auradin (which I'm not btw) I might as well make a different type of dueler?
even if you are prepared to stack, make a different dueller.

even when stacked through the ceiling, an Auradin can be completely nerfed with only switch two items and some decent resists.

to whit: A Rising Sun Amulet and a Thundergods Vigor belt. these items offer integer 'sorb which counts against each "stack" individually.

throw in a Dwarfstar for the handy dandy mDR and %fire sorb and enough resists to take advantage of the +10% max lit res on the tgods and yon Auradin will heal you.

Auradins are only any good against the unprepared. once people know you're an Auradin, they can sub in those two items and nerf your entire build. it's not even BM for them to do so, provided they stick to just the ammy and belt (one piece either/or GM sorb rule). given the general Auradin's reputation for being an NK'ing twit, you can bet that at least one person in the game will knock you over.

I'm assuming you will make charger with 1 point zeal or some variation... The build guides here have great information for many different auradins...

Pros and cons...

Cons... Auradins are fun for the first three days if you only duel... Stacking becomes a burden and being NK'd/ trounced in pub duels gets boring... People hate stacker auradins and will beat you senseless... Unstacked you have low chance of success in pubs without the damage reduction of Ber'd Hoz, Nigma, Shako, Coa, Coh etc... Your attacks will lack the attack rating to hit frequently and people can gear to absorb your pulses... Any smiter will easily take you out...

Pros... Put a nigma, arach, and magefist on your auradin and they're great for rushing chars quickly through normal and nightmare (with an insight merc)... They're nice for hell rush until Chaos (Iron Maiden)... I run my teleauradin with a friends Blizz sorc and we easily Grush 6 other chars to hell together very quickly...

Others have mentioned Torchdin/ Dreamdin/ Dragon builds... They are all fun chars to play pvm...

Yeah, I've all, but had it with my Torchadin already. I stacked +res all GC's to enable him to stand up to the all facet users you see in duel rooms. His AR suffers horribly and even with angelics setup dedicated builds with high def such as certain Hdin builds, most smiters and certain barbs it just becomes a waste of time.

One of the biggest problems with the Torchadin I found is using the dragon armor/shield. Dragon is a very lackluster runeword other then its ability to stack the HF aura. I'm definately dissapointed with the auradin and am giving serious thought to selling off the gear. I may try a dual dream/charger and see how that goes, but tbh I'm not expecting much.

I would welcome any suggestions on other interesting paladin pvp builds as I know there are quite a few offshoots. I'm looking for something that is reasonably versatile and fun to play.

Any thoughts?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High