Question on thorns

JRed

Mar 29, 2009
Question on thorns

Hi there.

I was wondering, do thorns auras stack and if they do, how? I was thinking something as stupid as creating the ultimate passive character ever using Edge and Bramble runewords while having as many + to skills items as I could find. (And maxing out my paladins own aura ofc). On top of that I would have an act 1 merc with same runewords. I could acheave over 100 points in thorns. If they stack that is...

So do they stack, and if they do, how? Would I have 5 thorns auras on me all the time, one big fat one or just the one with highest level? And what would happen if I had two pallys with the same gear?

Also, do + to all skills items affect the auras that items give?

Oh, one more, how does Iron Maiden affect with thorns (when cast on enemy)?

Re: Question on thorns

hmm... good questions all of these are actually.. but i dont think anyone has really ever tried the thorns aura.. or tried to stack it.. u should try and let us all know how it goes :)

Aww... The problem is I mainly play NL and Edge is ladder only runeword. Well, I do have one Edge ready and waiting for the ladder reset (hopefully soon) but meanwhile theres not much that I can do. As I said, I don't have enough wealth on my ladder chars and I propably don't have enough time/intrest to gather up the required runes during this season... And In my opinion, the armor is shait if stacking doesn't work so I would like to try it out first with something cheaper.

On the other hand, I might need resistances and blocking and defence. So a nice 1 handed weapon and a + to skills shield could be a solution. That is, unless I have a meatshield friend with me...

So something I forgot to ask this last night, does blocking affect anyhow? Since I will have 'bout 100 extra skill points and I might have to use a shield just for the sake of surviving alone. Meaning I am after max block. That is, unless thorns return damage only when the struck character actually loses health... So max Holy Shield and Defiance was my secondary thought while using Conversion as my main attack. Actually, if I think about it, unless I use a shield there is no way that I could solo in Hell diff. Then again my original thought was that I play this guy with my friends in the most stupid team evah!

Which brings me to my final question, hopefully. If I use damage reduced stuff, will it tear down the damage I "inflict"?

Please, someone, I am a lazy bastard and I don't want to find thease things out myself ><

Aww... The problem is I mainly play NL and Edge is ladder only runeword. Well, I do have one Edge ready and waiting for the ladder reset (hopefully soon) but meanwhile theres not much that I can do. As I said, I don't have enough wealth on my ladder chars and I propably don't have enough time/intrest to gather up the required runes during this season... And In my opinion, the armor is shait if stacking doesn't work so I would like to try it out first with something cheaper.

On the other hand, I might need resistances and blocking and defence. So a nice 1 handed weapon and a + to skills shield could be a solution. That is, unless I have a meatshield friend with me...

So something I forgot to ask this last night, does blocking affect anyhow? Since I will have 'bout 100 extra skill points and I might have to use a shield just for the sake of surviving alone. Meaning I am after max block. That is, unless thorns return damage only when the struck character actually loses health... So max Holy Shield and Defiance was my secondary thought while using Conversion as my main attack. Actually, if I think about it, unless I use a shield there is no way that I could solo in Hell diff. Then again my original thought was that I play this guy with my friends in the most stupid team evah!

Which brings me to my final question, hopefully. If I use damage reduced stuff, will it tear down the damage I "inflict"?

Please, someone, I am a lazy bastard and I don't want to find thease things out myself ><

I don't remember anyone really advocating thorns, first of all there's the physical 50% penalty in hell... Rest I don't remember, but the conclusion was that it wasn't that good... You'll have to the search, or someone else.

1st While the brambles and edges stack toghether, your own aura doesn't. The most dominant aura will come out on top, that will say: the thorns aura with the most skills, either from gear, or your own will be come active, while the other one is inactive.

DR&PDR works, and there's been a major guide about it, using very different gear though...

auras only stack from gear, or else i would have 1 bill def on a pally with exile lol
so i think the max you can get is from the 2 of your equip a bow n armor

You actually have to get hit for thorns to activate. Blocking=no damage feedback.

That's a no no for a Paladin's own Thorns aura stacking with an aura provided from items. Does not work.

Also +skill items will not increase the level of an aura provided by an item.

Thorns also does not work very well in Hell difficulty because monsters have too much life and do not deal the damage relatively. For example, in Act 1 Hell normal monsters will deal an average of 50-60 or so damage, but can have somewhere in the vicinity of 4000-5000 or more hit points. So straight from the get-go, you're going to have to be hit at least 10 times to kill anything. The problem compounds when more people are added to a game. With 2 players, monster life is doubled, but they will not deal any more damage (well, 6.25% more damage if you want to get technical) so they'll take twice as long to die. With a full 8 player game monster life is 450% of normal and only deal 43.75% more damage, and with the slow attack speed of most monsters, as well as monsters' natural life regeneration, well... you get the picture. It's going to take a LONG time to kill any thing, and you'll be popping potions like a madman just to stay alive.

tl;dr Thorns aura is pretty much useless outside of Act 1 Normal difficulty.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High