Money-making opportunity!

purplelocust

Nov 4, 2003
Money-making opportunity!

No, this isn't email spam, despite the title!

I'm playing an untwinked drummer (dual wands) barb in a classic tourney and I noticed something I've never thought about before as a means of getting gold early in the game untwinked. The three-chipped gem recipe gives an new weapon (such as a wand) with new staffmods and 1-2 sockets. So just by accident I've developed the following money-making scheme for converting chipped gems into more serious amounts of gold:

1) buy a cheap blue wand (with no staffmods)
2) cube it with 3 chipped gems.
3) if it gets a staffmod, sell it back for much more than just paid
4) if it doesn't, try rerolling it with 3 more chipped gems

An example: normal Jamella is selling a Crimson bone wand (8% fire resist, no other mods) for 1541 gold. (Commonly for sale are "of the leech/locust" for about 5k gold.) 3 Chipped gems plus that gives"Bone wand of the wraith" with 2 sockets but no staffmods (could sell back for 2532 gold, but instead after 3 more chippies, it rolls to +3 Blood Golem, +2 Golem Mastery "Emerald bone wand" which Jamella will give the max 20k for. So in this example, 6 chippies and 1541 gold and some time turn into 20,000 gold, which is a pretty good return on investment and certainly better than just selling the chippies back!

It's not wonderful but it is a source of gold (early-game gambling isn't very expensive.)

Nothing earth-shattering, and maybe this is already well-known, and of course it takes some patience, but this is just a hint/tip for early game play.

Re: Money-making opportunity!

If it IS well known, it wasn't by me! I knew wands with staffmods were worth a lot of gold, but I'd never imagined there'd be a way to exploit it!

I find this to be really awesome. Great for tournaments. But lately I've also been in the speeddemosarchive.com forums for D2 runs, and getting a lot of early-game gold can be pretty difficult. I'll absolutely be sharing this info with the runners!

Good stuff, I will abuse this in the near future:)

Good idea. And not too time-consuming either--if you carry around your Cube and pick up gems, then all you really have to do is pick up blue wands and spend a few seconds every once in a while.

I noticed the same thing with a pally I played untwinked. I was just trying to get a good scepter with the chip recipe. Pretty cool exploit :)

I can't believe someone can still find something new from this wonderful old game :thumbsup:

Thanks- sometimes it's hard to tell what is well-known and what isn't! This of course is useless for twinked play but tourney/untwinked it may be occasionally useful.

@essojay: exactly, that is a good method. Keep one low-value wand in the cube in inventory and just toss chippies in there as you run across them. Cube when there are 3. If you get a low-value one, keep trying, otherwise head to town, sell the high-value one, and buy a cheapie to replace it and then continue rerolling.

There are also similar techniques with the 3-normal gem recipe, but that isn't quite as good of a value compared to chipped ones.

you know, back when I was farming chippies for SOJ's back in day; I found you can get near 30 chippies in a few minutes just by running around the outside areas of act 1 using a paladin w/ holy fire and kinemal's awl.

Super easy rush area + this method = 200k every few minutes. . .

Super easy rush area + this method = 200k every few minutes. . .

... vs. a GF Barb that can get 200k in a single Travincial run? The Barb wins.

The method you've described works, of course, but I think there are other comparable ways in a twinked setting.

The speedrunners who have seen your trick love it, pl. Such a smart guy you are!

Well, the barb will obviously win, but we're talking act 1 normal gold farming here. It's practically idiot-proof.

I had heared of this before and have also been using this in a tourney where I didn`t allow myself an Atma stash to save up chippies for rerolling elite weapons in Hell.

Sorry, I didn't mean to look like I was shooting down your method. All I meant was that you probably won't see a Paladin using Kim's Awl in Act 1 normal unless they're over-leveled, twinked, and searching specifically for chippies or TC3s.

purplelocust's trick seems to be aimed more toward very early game when gold/gambling is often the best way to get the best items, unlike a character that has access to exceptional-level items via MF runs or stashes.

Didn't mean to go OT, either! Hey, I'm sleepy. More praise for pl!

Exactly- there are definitely better ways of getting gold twinked:

1) muling gold on from a GF barb
2) muling gold on from a huge ATMA/GoMule bank account
3) selling elite armors for 35k a pop in Hell
4) ... many others ...

But for tourneys and starting untwinked characters with, uh, cash-flow problems, I suggest this as an option.

I find this to be extremely interesting! In single pass play, this converts each of your chipped gems into ~10,000 gold! Considering that I (and presumably lots of others) stop picking them up very early, this is an excellent strategy!

Potentially millions of extra gold by the time you finish hell that can be gambled. It's not game breaking by any means, and it'll rarely net you a nice new item, but for people that want to take every chance to optimize their gear on single pass untwinked chars, this is pretty smart.

Am i the only one to be almost constantly at the gold max ?

The only time i can pick up gold is around lvl 10, when the ammount you can place in your stash makes a astronomical jump.

But very interesting bit of news ^^ Amazing that you can still learn nw things in a 10 years old game :)

No i'm also at max often, but the second I hit max I gamble it up if it's untwinked or mule it over if atma is allowed as an extended stash. Unless i'm close to a new act and need to spend it on new things such as bone shields of deflecting from drognan in act 2

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High