Soloing normal to hell; should I play single player or on bnet? de

flaflahej

Apr 7, 2009
Soloing normal to hell; should I play single player or on bnet?

I decided to install the game again and I made a character on Battlenet. I have no intentions in playing with other people to be honest. I played Titan Quest offline completely and having found all my items myself felt pretty rewarding.

So anyway, I made my D2 character on Bnet and I noticed it's lagging a bit. Not like crazy much, but enough to be annoying, knowing I could be playing without it. I'm not really sure why I made the character online, I guess I just thought "why not? maybe I feel like playing with other people later".

So what's making me feel like starting over in single player is the /players 8 thing. In nightmare/hell I'm probably gonna have to do some boss runs to get some decent items to help me through the game, and from what I understand, setting players to 8 increases the boss loot greatly? Like... how much? And for exp, does it actually make it 8x the normal exp at the price of 8x the monsters normal health when soloing?

I guess I just made this thread to ask what you guys think. Should I start over in single player or is there any reason (aside from playing with others) why I should keep playing online?

Re: Soloing normal to hell; should I play single player or on bnet?

I'd advise Single Player, definitely. In addition to /players x command, you get to keep the same maps, which makes for far more efficient boss MF runs, but you also get to use ATMA or GoMule for sorting and saving your items, rather than having to rely on far more cumbersome online muling attempts. You might want to check out the Single Player Forum, and see what players there think. I left Battle.net for Single Player when the first 1.10 ladder reset, and I've never regretted it for a moment.

Best of luck to you, whatever path you decide to take!

- Noodle

If you don't intend to play with others, single player is probably better. You can have the players 8 command, add mods if you want, avoid hacks/lag/scam, and there is a multiplayer/trading community in single player apparently.

Although, you will miss out on ladder-only runewords and the übers, but like I said you can always get mods.

If you don't intend to play with others, single player is probably better. You can have the players 8 command, add mods if you want, avoid hacks/lag/scam, and there is a multiplayer/trading community in single player apparently.

Although, you will miss out on ladder-only runewords and the übers, but like I said you can always get mods.

The runeword mod is accepted by the single player community. The uber mod is not.

The runeword mod is accepted by the single player community. The uber mod is not.

What's this uber you're talking about? Uber Tristram? How is that accessed and why isn't it accessable in single player?

And what's ATMA and GoMule? I'm guessing it has something to do with trasferring items between characters. Where can I get it?

Anyway, I decided to start over offline yesterday.

Edit: Okay I found and downloaded the mods you recommended. I'd still appreciate an explanation to what exactly uber tristram is though. I haven't played since 1.09.

Last edited:

in Uberr Tristram you pwn three ultimate versions of most hated bosses in the game... Diablo Baal and Mephisto, all in one :) Now, they aren't like the bosses you meet in a normal peaceful game in hell. They are literally demons hungry for blood and they won't hesitate to send their mobsters on ya.

For defeating the three, you get a shiny gold item called the Hellfire Torch :D Great little item that gives you severe bonuses =]

THe difference between Single Player Ubers and Battle.net Ubers is that the Demons from hell on single player don't spawn any monsters, while on Battle.net they do!

Last edited:

Oh okay.

So I guess I can't get the Hellfire Torch in single player then? Not that it would matter much.

How do you get to uber tristram anyway? And is there anything you shouldn't do there that can make it so you can't go there anymore (like killing cow king in cow level)?

Speaking of cow level, does the same thing regarding killing the cow king still apply in the current patch?

Trading is the biggest plus. You can still trade with other.

You can get the torch with the mod, but without it, you can't :D

Beyond Ubers, DC, Runewords, and Dueling system...

Bnet = Single player :)

That's not true, he'll miss out on lots of more things if he doesn't go with bnet! Spambots, cheaters, unreasonally rude bnet kids, sudden lagspikes that kill you, WUG/WUW chat sessions and all sorts of major experiences ...

:whistling:

(Another vote for SP)

Actually all of the runewords, trading and a dueling system exist in SP, as well as MP play. The only things you miss out on with SP is DClone and the Ubers. And since you don't actually need an Annilus or Torch to solve the game, it's not that much of a loss.

for a lot of people DC and the ubers are the most challenging and fun bits of the game. I vote SP anyway because Bnet doesn't have much sympathy for people with lives.

I solo and bnet is just fine. All I needed and didnt find myself ingame I bought in ETF so bnet .)

Actually all of the runewords, trading and a dueling system exist in SP, as well as MP play. The only things you miss out on with SP is DClone and the Ubers. And since you don't actually need an Annilus or Torch to solve the game, it's not that much of a loss.

If the runewords exist, then what is the Runewords mod found in this thread for?

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659145&

Edit: Completely unrelated but... I'm playing a bow amazon at the moment. I can't quite remember how common physical immune monsters are in hell. Would it be a terrible idea to make a bow amazon completely focused on physical damage? I was thinking strafe (probably this) OR multi+guided or something like that, and then spending more points to get the passives and decoy/valkyrie up since I'm playing from scratch, so I won't exactly have a lot of +skill items.

Last edited:

A Witchwild String bow would be a huge help. Not only does it have chance to cast amplify damage (which will break most physical immunities), but if you fire a normal arrow from it, it will actually fire a level twenty Magic Arrow, which should be enough to kill virtually all physical immune monsters that Amplify Damage can't break.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High