Gambling questions

Re: Gambling questions

"most" hdins aren't so nice or jsut NOT party-friendly. okay actually it be more accurate to say there's a lot of gamers who aren't very nice. and you're right, a rude player will be rude with any character.

eh, all true again, i give up.

though i still remain biased to the hdin! but now i don't know why anymore as u denounced all my excusses and reason for hating the hdin:p

and i'm gonna stay on west realm, don't know why either, i just like were i am, though it is lonely on west realm, but at the same time if i went over to your realms, i'd have to be humble :p before all of u better players, better geared players, and more knowledible players:D

it's kinda like this:

do u stay on a bad team or league and be the star playing the entire game

or

do u go to a good team or league and become only an avg player only getting to play half the game

?????

that's one reason why i like to remain on west realm :D

i can pretend to be one of the better and more knowledible players :D

I was just wondering, how come you don't think the cold sorc is imbalanced too?
(such as the orb sorc)

The purpose of their mastery is to break any and all cold immunities when it is maxed out. This allows them to kill any and all monsters. It's also just a spray-and-watch-them-die spell which really requires no aim/skill to cast at all. You could be facing the opposite direction and some of the spray will hit behind you.
Orb sorc isn't unbalanced. Frozen Orb is a spamming skill that can kill, but it has a one second delay timer. It's a level 30 skill and has one weak synergy. Blizzard deals far more damage.

Cold Mastery doesn't break any cold immunities. When a monster is immune to cold, it is immune to cold. Conviction and Lower Resist are the only two ways to break cold immunity.

Are you sure about that? Can anyone confirm Deischela's last comment about cold mastery not being able to break cold immunities? I'm 99% sure I've killed "cold immune" monsters before with just frozen orb (unless you're talking about something else). Thanks!

Pretty easy to look up.
The Arreat Summit said:
Cold Mastery will not work against monsters that are Immune to Cold. So even if you have Enemy Resistance -105%, they will still be Cold Immune and you will still be unable to damage them.

cold mastery (CM) can NOT break cold immune monsters.

this is suppose to be because all monsters that are cold immune have too much cold resistance for even a maxed (full possible skills) CM to lower below 100% (immunity).

whether this is true or not, CM does NOT break cold immune monsters' immunity.

ONLY lower resistance (LowRes) and conviction are able to break elem immunities

ONLY amp and decrepify are able to break phys immunities.

for UNDEAD ONLY, sanctuary IGNORES phys resistance and thus indirectly bypasses the phys immunity

anyways back to cold resistance-immunity and CM:

once lower resist and/or conviction breaks the immunity (makes monsters' cold resistance below 100%), THAN your CM (and also will the other one, LowRes or conviction, that wasn't used to break the immunity will also lower the monsters' cold resistance even lower along with CM) will lower their cold resistance even further.

whether LowRes or conviction is used to break the elem immunity, it will only lower their elem resistance down 95% resistance. but as i already said, should u have another effect that lowers elem resist, it now can and will lower the 95% elem resist of the monster even lower.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
a way i would love some one to test this:

be in a party with a maxed conviction paladin and a maxed lower resist necro and have a fire sorc, and see if u can clear hell cs of all monsters with your fire sorc.
my view about the hdin being unbalanced has pretty much fallen apart, but there's still one glaring piece of evidence supporting my claim of hdin's unbalance:

damage types:

0. warlock says there's holy damage, but ima leave this out just to make it simplier

1. physical
2. magical
3. fire
4. cold
6. lightning
7. poison
8. open wounds (negative life regen. a unique "damage type")
9. bles ham skill (magical damage type but whether intentional or a mistake by game makers, it ignores magical resistance and immunity of undead)

1. physical: huge protection against this. each difficulty adds to monster's already phys resistance stat and they also have physical drain ? (forgot what it's called) that determines whether u can or how much u can leech from them. ALL undead are immune in hell difficulty to phys damage. oh and i almost forgot, IM (iron maiden) (or thorns if some one used in pvp) is a serious detriment to using phys damage.

2. magical: hardly any protection for monsters to magical damage type, but at least some if not all undead in hell are immune to magical damage

3. fire: the majority of d2 monsters have fire protection. this makes fire damage very unpopular and useless, though a few areas and some very annoying and/or dangerous monsters are weak to fire. unfortunately many don't realize this and u hardly see any fire sorcs for example in hell difficulty. also, people rarely use team play so it's unlikely for a fire sorc for example to be in a team with a conviction paladin and/or a lower resist necro to remove the monsters' protection to fire.

4. etc...

i'm getting tired....u hopefully get my point...

every skill has an obstacle in its use, EXCEPT the bles ham skill. this is what irrefutably makes it unbalanced, though as many of u have pointed out, unbalance is still a relative term, and many characters, builds, and skills in their own way can be just as unbalanced as bles ham is.

but still it remains:

cold users will encounter cold immunes and they have to find another means to kill such monsters (or just ignore them and pass on by if they can...seal bosses in cs can't be ignore and passed on by). whereas, bles ham users will NOT encounter any monster immune to bles ham (unless u really try to find the single sole exception monster that is immune to bles ham) and thus NEVER have to worry about finding another method to kill a monster.

Last edited:

Yep yep..
Some gamble tips:
30-40 level I generally gamble some belts, light armors, boots and gloves. Boots seem to get really nice mods at this level. Many times i've got some 30run dual res boots with MF etc.

Weapons are no worth of gambling, you only get normal weapons which are no use after normal difficulty.

Rings are always a good gamble choice even at lower levels you can get something like 10fast cast 2x/2x/2x resist and 60 mana for a 22 level ring and that would be really valuable ring.

It is true that at 86 you can't really get good amount of amulets.. I think i've never got a +2..

Is it worse or better to gamble rings at higher levels (say 40, 70, 99?). I would think it would be better unless all of the valuable mods are attainable at level 30 and less-wanted mods become available later. Thanks!

u CAN get exceptionals, set, and unique items from gambling, BUT the odds are VERY VERY VERY LOW.

u CAN get +2 amulets at clvl 86, but it's extremely UN-frequent. (much better to get clvl higher, improves the amount of +2 amulets u get significantly)

I thought they took out set and unique gambling?

I thought they took out set and unique gambling?

Naa still works
1/1000 for set and 1/2000 vs uniq.

Making soj gambling 1/62000.... So basically its 62.000* 50.000 = 3100.000.000 gold vs 1 soj on average ^
Ofcourse gambling that amount on rings will surely bring you many nice rings as 1/10 of them is rare = 6200 rare rings :)

Nice thread which explained some of my gambling doubts regarding amulets. I usualy gamble shields (bone shields, sometimes spiked ones) in search of nice stylish +2pala prism shield. Can this be obtainable by a4 vendor and at which level to gamble such shield would be optimum? I'm current lv87.
I'm in doubt since I only managed to gamble one +2pala prism spiked purple shield, but every +2pala bone shield was green but lacked prism. I know style isn't everything, but I would at least know if I'm loosing my time in searching it from vendor gambling.

They made the chances far smaller than they were originally.
The Arreat Summit said:
The chance for Uniques is 1 in 2,000 (0.05%) and 1 in 1,000 (0.10%) for Sets. The chance for Rares is 1 in 10 (10%). Magic Items are 1/~1.1 (89.85%).

as to what clvl to gamble at:

it seems to me to what i now know that,

the higher your clvl the better, this is because:

the game tries at the highest ("best") mods first and gradually works its way down to the lowest ("worst") mods.

let me try to explain....

this process is the same for gambling and monster/object drops outside of town

this (below) is all pretend (or fake details used)

let's say u want king's mod on a weapon and let's say the lowest clvl to be able to gamble it is at clvl 56.

now let's look at it if u gamble at clvl 56 vs clvl 76.

gambling at clvl 56:

game checks "rolls" for the king's (81-100% Edmg and +100-150 AR) mod. u get it or u don't. this is totally based on randomness or luck. if u fail (or if u got additional mod slots, like if you gambled a rare, yelow, weapon for 6 total mod slots. 3 prefix 3 suffix. if u gambled just a magical, blue, weapon, than u only get 2 total mod slots. 1 prefix 1 suffix. the rare can have 2-6 mod slots. it's not always 6. its random-luck whether u get a rare wit 2 or 6 or in between # of mod slots), the game checks "rolls" for a "lower" mod, let's say a "prince" (not a real mod) mod (61-81% Edmg and +50-100 AR) or maybe a different type of mod like life leech.

so, when u gamble at clvl 56 u only get 1 shot-chance at the king's mod. if u fail or got additional mod slots u try for "lower" mods.

gambling at clvl 76.

u try for a "higher" mod like titan (+15-20 str). u get it or u don't. if u fail or if u got additional mod slots than u try for a "lower" mod. in this case u try for the king's mod next. if u fail or got additional mod slots left than u try for an even "lower" mod like "prince" mod or life leech.

so, when u gamble at clvl 76, u only get one shot or chance at the king's mod.
so for both clvl 56 and 76, u only get one shot or chance at getting the king's mod, so u ask what's the difference ? why did i say it's better to gamble at a higher clvl ?

two reasons:

1. the higher the clvl the better your chance at getting the king's mod. i have no idea why the chance goes up but it does. maybe some kinda hidden formula or calculation that which raises the chance when your clvl is higher. (this has been proven to be true with-for the +2 mod on amulets. when u try to gamble +2 mod at clvl 86 in 50 gambles u might get only 5 amulets with +2 mods. when u try to gamble +2 mod at clvl 90 in 50 gambles u get maybe 10 amulets with the +2 mod).

2. u have a chance of getting all the higher ("better") mods when u gamble at higher clvl than at a lower clvl. for example when u gamble at clvl 76, if you're lucky u can get titan and kings mods. if u gamble at clvl 56, if you're lucky u can get kings and life leech leech mods. at the higher clvl u CAN get all the mods that a lower clvl can get but u ALSO can get the higher clvl mods that if u gamble at higher clvl than if u gambled at lower clvl. for example... at clvl 75 u can try at all 3 mods (titans, kings, life leech) but at clvl 56 u can only try at the 2 mods (kings and life leech). EVERY mod u only get 1 chance at (if you're at least high enough clvl to get the mod) whether you gamble higher clvl or lower clvl. but at higher clvl u get a chance at more mods, higher mods, and usually considered better mods than at lower clvl.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
there's one exception to always gambling at higher clvl, and that is:

if u want certain mods, than obviously u don't want to try for any extra mods than u have to. u don't want extra mods inferering with getting the specific mods u want. in this scenario or objective, than u want the lowest clvl possible that is needed to get the highest lvl mod u want. this way your gambling is NOT ruined by getting any of the extra mods that u would and could get if u gambled at a higher clvl.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High