Gambling questions

serendipity

Dec 14, 2008
Gambling questions

I've never gambled before, and I want to try to start.

If I want to gamble for +2 prismatic ammy's, would the ideal level be 99? I heard that the minimum level is around 86, right? Are there other ways to get +2 ammy's (or +2 prismatic ammy's) from hell diablo or something? I have never found one before. Do magic +2 ammy's even exist?

Also, how expensive is it to gamble an ammy at those levels (80-99)? I heard that the cost of items go up as you are a higher level.

Finally, what other items are best to gamble for? Rings? Weapons?

Thank you. I hope you guys can answer all my questions! :thumbup:

Re: Gambling questions

Ideal level would be 95-99. At level 86 you'll have a 10% chance to get an ilvl high enough for the amulet +2 skill prefixes. The chance to get the ilvl increases 10% each level.
clvl 86 - 10% chance to get ilvl high enough for +2 prefix
87 - 20%
88 - 30%
94 - 90%
95 - 100%
clvls 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 all have 100% chance of gambling an amulet with a high enough ilvl.

I think the only way to get a +2 prismatic amulet is from Hell Diablo.
Magic +2 amulets exist and can be gambled.
63,000 gold to gamble an amulet.

I've never gambled before, and I want to try to start.

If I want to gamble for +2 prismatic ammy's, would the ideal level be 99? I heard that the minimum level is around 86, right? Are there other ways to get +2 ammy's (or +2 prismatic ammy's) from hell diablo or something? I have never found one before. Do magic +2 ammy's even exist?

Also, how expensive is it to gamble an ammy at those levels (80-99)? I heard that the cost of items go up as you are a higher level.

Finally, what other items are best to gamble for? Rings? Weapons?

Thank you. I hope you guys can answer all my questions! :thumbup:

When you start gambling seriously you will notice that sadly +2 blue amulets do exists. Its always annoying to have +2 mod in a blue amulet imo :)

Thanks guys. What other items are good to gamble for? I guess what I'm trying to get at it, from your experience, gambling which type of items has yielded a good profit (besides ammy's). Rings? Any armor? Thanks!

At times when I needed a half-decent double res belt I gambled belts with a level 21. I vaguely recall at that level you can get nice res and the belts don't cost much.
It yielded very, very, very few belts I kept though. Most of them where of the type you don't even bother to sell back to Mr. G(r)heed.
As Deichsela already stated, before 86, rings. I'm not sure if they turn a profit since I hardly ever trade, but I certainly gambled decent rings. Nothing godly though.

In 1.10 I did gamble a +2 pris amu. Only one I gambled so far. My healer was 88 at the time. Now that he's 90, I seem to get less amu's that I want to keep. Probably because I've become more picky, but I really seem to get less +2 mods on the amulets.

i know this is off topic for a gambling thread,

but the cow king has higher mlvl than the area lvl or difficulty.

this means that u get better mods on the items than are normally available.

for example:

in normal u rarely see resists, +life, and +mana mods on items, but when u kill normal king u do.

same is true for nm king and hell king. better mods on the items than the lvl of items.

if u want gear with good mods, mf-kill the cow kings of whatever difficulty.

Thanks guys. What other items are good to gamble for? I guess what I'm trying to get at it, from your experience, gambling which type of items has yielded a good profit (besides ammy's). Rings? Any armor? Thanks!

Gamble rings before 86 after that amulets. Rings can be amazing and just as valuable as amulets if you lucky. Armors are way too pricy to gamble, but boots are pretty good option before you can gamble amulets, especially if you, well need new boots :smug:

Just yesterday i gambled a nice +2 35 life prism 43 fire stack amu (sadly barb amu). For the record in this ladder i have gambled approximately 100 million maybe bit more with a 92 lv char. So far i have got 4 +2 prisms (2 barbs 1 nec 1 sorc) maybe 1x +2 rares with minor adds and many +2 blue ones. And ofcourse nice +1 ones aswell. In my opinion the gold has been well spend...

wish i could magically (NOT HACKING THOUGH!! lol) make my highest char of 86 into a 92..for better +2 amulet odds.... :D

wonders if its worth the time leveling higher compared to what u can get in the same time if u jsut keep gambling at clvl 86...

i don't know if its worth it, but i know that at clvl 86 i get WAY TOO many worthLESS amulets for my liking.

though maybe some point i'll grind it out and try to get more clvls than just 86

u lucky having a 92 char

wish i could magically (NOT HACKING THOUGH!! lol) make my highest char of 86 into a 92..for better +2 amulet odds.... :D

wonders if its worth the time leveling higher compared to what u can get in the same time if u jsut keep gambling at clvl 86...

i don't know if its worth it, but i know that at clvl 86 i get WAY TOO many worthLESS amulets for my liking.

though maybe some point i'll grind it out and try to get more clvls than just 86

u lucky having a 92 char

Hmz to me its not grinding for levels as i make priv cs runs for dia fk with my pala -> its just mfing and levels can be concidered nice adds...
I get way too many worthless amulets as well, but few nice ones sometimes...

Edit: Its worth it to level atleast to 92 -> relatively easy & compared to 86 its 70% vs 10 % And keeping in mind that every tenth is a rare on average. Need i say more?? @ 86 its 1/100 to get rare that has chance to get the +2 mod (not necessary get) -> 6.3 million to get 1 amulet that is lv 90.... NOT very good... And if you concider that it still needs good other mods to be of any use... Level up up!

Last edited:

i know i know.... its jsut lvling up to 86 was annoying...can't imagine myself trying to get to 92...

i only have 1 cd-key and don't even know how to do 2 accounts at once (if i even had a 2nd cd-key and if it's still allowed by bnet..aka doesn't get u temp or perma restricted. i'm not that good with comps so don't understand or know much)

my lvl 86 (highest char is a single elem ice-cold, orb sorc) she can do okay, except at least half the time seis or whatever seal boss is cold immune.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have completely put off my hdin.... he's like only lvl 40 ish...i've played d2 a long time and am well bored with hdins....so this time at restarting d2 i haven't really built one. i decided to do one just cuz they are neccessary and useful...though sooo disliked by me. but i only got him to lvl 40 or so. before i couldnt take it anymore. i can't stand hdins. when u play d2 for long time...u should be sick of hdins.... they are everwhere and so boring.. its the most basic and really easiest character to make and use. being able to handle all of d2 that u have to go through (except magot tunnels) with it's wonder skill of bles ham being able to do huge damage and damage to all monsters (there's only 1 monster in the entire game that hdin can't kill and it's mostly in areas u never go to or need to except they can be found in the ruined temple kurast bazaar for act3 quest 4 hell difficulty for the 5 stat pt quest bonus however u have room to jsut go right by them anyways)

any char that can single-handidly handle (err too many handle words..) hell cs so easily and quickly is uber unbalanced...and needs major nerfing.......i wish hdins would be removed from d2 game

if u couldnt tell from my side-tracted rant...

i am a hdin-hater for life, can't stand them. they need to be nerfed! make it so bles ham ONLY damages the undead or the living but not both.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
trying to gamble +2 amulets at clvl 86 is definately not worthwhile. I can personally attest to this.

i have gotten like three +2 amulets so far (all pathetic) (though i ahve got some quite decent +1 amulets), and i ahve no idea how much gold-gmalbing i've done, but it's been a pretty lot...taking gold from all 9 accounts and giving it to my sorc is quite a decent amount...

i'm still trying to work on my gf barb for hell council runs. i'm not sure if he's going to work anyways... once i get him ready for it. i tried my own build for him...and not sure if it'll work or not..

Last edited:

Well i advice you to level you sorc at least 1 level as it cuts the gold expenditure to half compared to 86. Imo 6.3 mil to get 1 90 lv amu is not worth it. Better gamble rings... even thought +2 prism is theocratically possible does not make it a worthwhile in practise at 86 lv. I startgambling amulets @ 88 mysel, but haven't advocated it before as its my personal opinion. Gold per possible +2 rare amulet is too high before that... But one can always be lucky eh ^^

edit: usually i say go for amulets after 86 not 88 as here, because people typically want to have +2 amulets and want to know when to start gambling them (in anotherwords whats earliest possible level).

HegemonKhan, Hdins are great starter characters though and you can play one until 75ish and by then you have a pretty good understanding of the basics of D2, and then you can move on.

yes, all true, they are great to dominate pvm at least. great characters for new or noob players who need such an unbalanced build. a build that can easily handle every area of d2 (except magot caves) with no monster that has any protection (resistance or immunity) to its attack-skill.

but i've been playing for a long time, and have come to despise and be disgusted and turned-off by the hdins' prowess and unbalance in the game.

with the hdin, all 4 other characters are pointless, all skills are pointless (you only need bles ham. the kill-everything skill), all challenge is gone, no thought into how much str, dex, vit, nrg. no thought into gear or game tactics. nothing. no worrying about resitance and immunities...all d2 needs is the paladin and his bles ham skill...

how pathetic, hdin-hater always!

i better stop....i can rant about how much i hate hdins until i die...

Heh. You should try my view. Don't think them as pvm in general. Think them as specialized mfers. Hell cs mfer. If one thinks about andy memph fk sorcs. Its obvious that they are just as boring -> tele to target, statick down, pick up loot. Sell crap rince and repeat. Just as overpowered for their task as hdin for cs. Or what about gfers? 1x life leech 29x marts max res -> no skill no effort + nice rewards via horking... Poor council they got no chance...

My point is that every mf char is unbalanced for its task (thats why those builds are stickied) and ultimately boring. Hence treat your hdins as cs mfer. Get the fun with other builds and mf when you feel up to it. The bonus for hdin mfing is that u get levels aswell :thumbup:

eh true, but the hdin is able to perform ALL types of tasks...

unlike the fireball sorc or blizard sorc, the hdin can damage EVERYTHING (excluding the 1 exception).

fireball sorc can't kill fire immunes. bliz sorc can't kill cold immunes. bles ham CAN KILL EVERYTHING...complete unbalance..... i feel sick now...i can't stand hdins :p

eh true, but the hdin is able to perform ALL types of tasks...

unlike the fireball sorc or blizard sorc, the hdin can damage EVERYTHING (excluding the 1 exception).

fireball sorc can't kill fire immunes. bliz sorc can't kill cold immunes. bles ham CAN KILL EVERYTHING...complete unbalance..... i feel sick now...i can't stand hdins :p

heh Start cleaning hell cs alone without bo and i quarantee its challenging enough.

Just think about it as mfer as i suggested and you can free your self from your hdinfobia :)

support skills like bo are definately addicting (even i'm spoiled by bo or chant), hdin and his bles ham is the same thing too, but i'm just biased towards it. at least bo doesn't kill anything and enchant can only kill what is vulnerable to fire. but i completely understand it's a relative arguement and i'm being completely biased towards hdins and their bles ham when many other builds and their skills have the same arguements or points.

the hdinfobia is directly related to the longer i played d2 and got better and better at it and wanted to challenge myself with "dumping" the cookie-cutters and started to "date" the weak skills and weird and weak builds. i wanted more challenge.

but, while i was a noob, i wanted the least challenge and so i wanted the unbalanced hdin and his unbalanced bles hams so that i could power through the game with ease....but as i said that got boring....and i wanted challenges...not total dominance

i completely understand this, i was a noob too, and drooled over the hdin. but now i spit on it as i improved beyond total noobness (i'm still a noob at some things but at least i know a bit now to not be a total noob) :D

i still am spoiled though for hell cs...unfortunately, u pretty much need a hdin for hell cs runs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i forgot this:

a big part to why i hate hdins: (though many sorcs also do these things too)

since they don't have much trouble with d2...most people play that way... and end up playing the hdin extremely selfishly and UN-cooperatively.

its ironic how the paladin is suppose to be the team character...but is always played as the super-star "ball-hog" who only cares for himself and leaves his "team mates" "behind"

Q. how many paladins (hdins) leave corpses for find item barbs?

A. almost none..unless they have the find item barb too :p

Q. how many paladins (hdins) fully clear hell cs for exp or so that others don't die, and not only care about themselves rushing diablo for the exp for their lvl 90+ while the 7 other players are ~50-80 and get no exp because only the seal bosses and diablo are killed. and most characters are too slow to keep up and get the seal boss exp too.

A. almost none

Q. how many hdins help u get your body back or help clear an area for u?

A. almost none

Q. how many hdins have come into your game and kill diablo, ruining your game (well actually it doesn't but most people don't know that u can re-join the game, unless they also kill andy, trav, or meph that u need for questing) ?

A. most of them

Q. how many hdins come and pk or harrass/obstruct your peaceful friendly game ?

A. most of them

Q. etc..

A. u get my point...the most dominant character build also gets or maybe creates the biggest "jerk-rude" players too.

Last edited:

I was just wondering, how come you don't think the cold sorc is imbalanced too?
(such as the orb sorc)

The purpose of their mastery is to break any and all cold immunities when it is maxed out. This allows them to kill any and all monsters. It's also just a spray-and-watch-them-die spell which really requires no aim/skill to cast at all. You could be facing the opposite direction and some of the spray will hit behind you.

I don't personally hate any character because they are too strong. I think that it's a good thing there are chars for noobs who are just starting out and there are builds for pros like you hegemon. I was just wondering why, if you think a hdin is imbalanced, why can't a cold sorc be too. :nod:

support skills like bo are definately addicting (even i'm spoiled by bo or chant), hdin and his bles ham is the same thing too, but i'm just biased towards it. at least bo doesn't kill anything and enchant can only kill what is vulnerable to fire. but i completely understand it's a relative arguement and i'm being completely biased towards hdins and their bles ham when many other builds and their skills have the same arguements or points.

the hdinfobia is directly related to the longer i played d2 and got better and better at it and wanted to challenge myself with "dumping" the cookie-cutters and started to "date" the weak skills and weird and weak builds. i wanted more challenge.

but, while i was a noob, i wanted the least challenge and so i wanted the unbalanced hdin and his unbalanced bles hams so that i could power through the game with ease....but as i said that got boring....and i wanted challenges...not total dominance

i completely understand this, i was a noob too, and drooled over the hdin. but now i spit on it as i improved beyond total noobness (i'm still a noob at some things but at least i know a bit now to not be a total noob) :D

i still am spoiled though for hell cs...unfortunately, u pretty much need a hdin for hell cs runs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i forgot this:

a big part to why i hate hdins: (though many sorcs also do these things too)

since they don't have much trouble with d2...most people play that way... and end up playing the hdin extremely selfishly and UN-cooperatively.

its ironic how the paladin is suppose to be the team character...but is always played as the super-star "ball-hog" who only cares for himself and leaves his "team mates" "behind"

Q. how many paladins (hdins) leave corpses for find item barbs?

A. almost none..unless they have the find item barb too :p

Q. how many paladins (hdins) fully clear hell cs for exp or so that others don't die, and not only care about themselves rushing diablo for the exp for their lvl 90+ while the 7 other players are ~50-80 and get no exp because only the seal bosses and diablo are killed. and most characters are too slow to keep up and get the seal boss exp too.

A. almost none

Q. how many hdins help u get your body back or help clear an area for u?

A. almost none

Q. how many hdins have come into your game and kill diablo, ruining your game (well actually it doesn't but most people don't know that u can re-join the game, unless they also kill andy, trav, or meph that u need for questing) ?

A. most of them

Q. how many hdins come and pk or harrass/obstruct your peaceful friendly game ?

A. most of them

Q. etc..

A. u get my point...the most dominant character build also gets or maybe creates the biggest "jerk-rude" players too.

Well to answer shortly to those questions on my behalf. When i do pubs i clear whole upper cs (before 92 it even beneficial to me too, not just for the low levels). I dont need corpses to heal me. Few pots per run is all thats needed and since hdin is @ front i get easily rejuvs i need. Haven't pk'd people since the end of 1.09, which was the time when i quitted HC. I mean whats the point of killing poeple that hit one button and can resurrect themselves. Killing dia in others game was answered in your own post. Just rejoin :)
Anyway, those that behave like u implied will do just like that with any characters they have. So its not just hdin related. Imo high dmg blizzer is nastier cs pk, since cold resistance is usually not stacked in cs runs :whistling:

My point -> switch to Europe -> nicer people -> make Hdin your main mfer :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High