OT - Marriage (spawned from page 4 of "American President" thread)

Re: OT - Marriage (spawned from page 4 of "American President" thread)

That it offends a significant number of people, "significant" being loosely defined. It's the reason given for excluding hate speech from freedom of expression.

And why does it offend these people? Because they hold too much value in a book they think is written by the Alpha and the Omega.

*heavy breathing*

The circle is complete, Kenobi.

As generally acceptable or not in society: using the example of people opposed to eating animals that are kept as pets one first sees that his is not religiously motivated and so is clearly distinct from the single gendered marriage which involves applying a religious belief to a person that doesn't believe in it.

Prejudice = prejudice. I dont believe that cats or dogs are less suitable for eating than cows and chikinz, as I dont believe homosexuals are less suitable to live together than heterosexuals. Its the very same structure.

Additionaly, your point about sterile people is correct :thumbup:, which leads me even more to a conclusion, that this is a social and historical issue more than anything else :scratchchin:

You're unhappy because a group was shut down for discriminatory practices?

I'm sure when push came to shove, the adoption agency had the choice between allowing same-sex couples to adopt or simply closing their doors. When you look at the big picture consequences of their choice, it was the children that really lost out. Are same-sex parents really worse than no parents at all?

1) The group practiced based on a mission-- based on a God-held belief that children belong in a household with a male parent and a female parent. If anything-- to turn the issue around, I'd say the group was being discriminated against for not being allowed to practice as they believed.

2) There's no scarcity of adoption resources. So, same-sex couples have multiple reasonable alternatives.

Who loses out if religious organizations are allowed to practice what they belief, specific to this arena? Take an example, I'm Asian-american. Say they didn't allow me to adopt because they had a belief that I'm not a fitting parent due to race. If they were insulting in their refusal, I would take them to court. But if it was just a reasonable refusal based on their mission, fine, I respect their right to practice their religion; my partner and I would go to another adoption agency.

If (2) was false and there was a scarcity of reputable adoption agencies... then yes, I think it's reasonable to seek some action. But, because there are reasonable alternatives, I don't agree with the Catholic Charities group being forced to either shut down or agree to adoptions for same-sex couples.

There's also the practical argument. The group has no alternatives for doing adoption now, in a way that meets with their mission-- none that the government will allow. However, if a same-sex couple wants to practice adoption-- there are alternatives.

Now, if the same-sex couple were Catholic... that's a whole different ballgame and I think the appropriate authority is not the government-- the appropriate authority is the Catholic Church.

Now, if I agreed it was discriminatory, sure I'd agree with the outcome. But, I don't consider it discriminatory-- therein lies the rub.

Edit: Should add that 1+2 are not the reason I don't consider it discriminatory. I don't consider it discriminatory. Stop. And 1+2 are the reasons I don't see a problem with them continuing if they could get an exemption (which is a moot point now).

yuandy said:
But if it was just a reasonable refusal based on their mission, fine, I respect their right to practice their religion; my partner and I would go to another adoption agency.
So if there was an adoption organization that believed Asian-Americans didn't make suitable parents according to the beliefs of those in charge, you would be satisfied with going elsewhere to adopt? You shouldn't have to be satisfied. You shouldn't have to go elsewhere.

See to me, that is discrimination in its purest form.
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit
Because you are Asian/homosexual/have big ears, you are treated differently because the mission statement and beliefs of others don't line up with yours, so based on those qualities alone, you are denied the rights that everyone else gets? That's someone else's beliefs being imposed on you at the cost of your happiness and the potentially-adopted child's happiness.

So if there was an adoption organization that believed Asian-Americans didn't make suitable parents according to the beliefs of those in charge, you would be satisfied with going elsewhere to adopt? You shouldn't have to be satisfied. You shouldn't have to go elsewhere.

See to me, that is discrimination in its purest form.

Because you are Asian/homosexual/have big ears, you are treated differently because the mission statement and beliefs of others don't line up with yours, so based on those qualities alone, you are denied the rights that everyone else gets? That's someone else's beliefs being imposed on you at the cost of your happiness and the potentially-adopted child's happiness.

LE, what about religious freedom then? Why does a Catholic run, non-profit adoption agency have to give in to the "wants" of a same-sex couple? Aren't then their religious freedoms being repressed, by dictating to whom they can or cannot adopt to?

Just a disclaimer: I'm not promoting the Catholic way of life, just running with the example given.

The right you have to swing your fist ends at my nose.

Similarly, the freedom to practice whatever religion you want, ends when you start imposing the values of that religion on others.

Actually, I'm with jrlafrance on this one. Why does a Catholic adoption agency have to service anyone that doesn't concur with their ideals? They could, but they need not.

The argument thus far is that the *government* should not discriminate, nothing at all against individuals or non-governmental organizations (for profit or otherwise) discriminating.

Personally, I find it rather narrow-minded, but why should they care a fig for my opinion? I'd argue the same for "No jews/n******/etc. and dogs welcome" messages in private establishments which happens to be illegal in many jurisdictions but we are straying into the realm of riot control again.

But I find the idea of a religious adoption agency not welcoming those outside that religion far less threatening.

Going back 4 or 5 pages, I like to say that Sex = Marriage because, at least for Christians, any sex outside marriage is a sin. Let us look at some the basic tenant of the Christian faith, the Ten Commandments. It talks about adultery and coveting your neighbour's wife, um, but no homosexuality mentioned there. Sins, it must be there. Ah, the seven DEADLY sins. Wrath, gluttony, lust, sloth, envy, pride and greed. Mmm, no homosexuality mentioned there either. So being a homosexual doesn't violate either the ten commandments OR the seven deadly sins. It must be one of the lesser sins, but hold it, aren't they forgiven. I'm getting even more confused now, I think I'll pinch one or six of by neighbour's home brews and have a sly nookie with his wife and think about sin later.

And not everyone is a christian.

Nicking someone's bevvy does effect their material possessions. Consensual boiking the wife does not.

I don't particularly want this turning into a religious thread - either from large quotations or "u r dum" but I am STILL waiting for an justifiable reason for disliking the subject of the OP which isn't religious or consitituional.

And grats on not turning this into a separate church and state thread. Yet. :)

I am STILL waiting for an justifiable reason for disliking the subject of the OP which isn't religious or consitituional.

Personal prejudice?

I know that I will probably regret this. But, I am continually bothered by how sanctimonious some people get when they snidely point out how intolerant and judgemental religious people are. Irony anyone?

There are many, many posts in this thread now whose basic message, distilled down, is man, religious people are idiots. How can you be so naive, and so uninformed on how the universe really works. I mean really, believing in God, that is just stupid.

Seriously, for people who talk about how judgemental religious people are, some of you are really coming of as bigots.

Now, I am going to just plainly state my opinion on some of the things argued here. I tried to keep it just to the law, and I appreciate Caly's very civil conversation with me about such.

Liq- while you, in my opinion, have a very strong argument about rights ending where your nose begins, you forget one major portion of the equation when you talk about adoption agencies. The child. As soon as a third party is brought in, it is societies right and obligation to care what is happening. Now, the question then becomes, when and where does society have a right to step in.

If an adoption agency were judging off of someone's race, clearly wrong. But, when you bring in lifestyle, that is a completely different thing. Lifestyle is, in my opinion, a vital portion of what an adoption agency should be looking at. Now, you feel that there is nothing wrong with the lifestyle, thats fine, you are welcome to that opinion.

An adoption agency, whose purpose is to find homes that will be the best for the child, not only have the right, but the duty to try to find the best home. Am I saying that a *** couple cannot love a child? No. Am I making some sort of argument that they will spread their gayness? No, that is asinine. First, I have a religious disagreement with the lifestyle, I believe it to be wrong. And, I believe that I have a duty to vote according to what I feel will be best for the society. Beyond religion, I believe that a child has the best chance when they have a mother and a father. You can consider that hateful, or bigoted, or whatever. I believe that with all the research I have seen, that it is fairly obvious that a child has the best environment with a mother and a father.

Many may say, yeah, well heterosexual marriages end constantly, its not like they are doing what they are 'supposed' to. I couldn't agree more. My job puts me in court constantly trying to establish, modify, or enforce child support, often with parents who are more interested in hurting one another than caring about the child. Believe me, I have seen the ugly side of marriage. And the consequences of how freely our society views sexual relationships. Marriage has changed over the last fifty years, and in my opinion, it isn't for the better.

I believe that the most important unit in a stable society is the family. I stand against anything that destroys the family. Drug use, alcohol abuse, spousal abuse, 'free' love, etc. etc. etc. I believe that it is my responsibility as a citizen of my society to vote my conscience on what I think will most help the society thrive, and succeed. Stability comes from the family unit, and I believe that the best stability comes from a father, mother, and children. That may seem naive and old fashioned, but I just don't care.

I do not hate anyone who is ***. I do not think of them as lesser people. I do not wish them ill, or harm. But, especially in the realm of adoption, I do not think that *** couples, or civil unions, etc., should be afforded protections against adoption agencies that would refuse them. At that point it is not about their private lives, it is about the society as a whole, and at that point, I feel completely justified in standing up for what I believe is right.

Last edited:

Thats my one reason Thy.

I have no objection to civil union protections. But dubbing it marriage would have legal consequences about adoption. And I feel that is not where I want the society headed. Because I believe the child is in the best environment when there is a mother and a father.

I believe the child is in the best environment when there is a mother and a father.

So do I, but that doesn't mean any other arrangement cannot do the job of raising children almost as well. I'd prefer a child to be raised in a loving homosexual environment than a combative heterosexual environment.

Because I believe the child is in the best environment when there is a mother and a father.

Then if the biological parents of a child separate, should the kid be adopted by a married couple so he/she can be brought up properly?

There are any number of single parents that raise children. If they can do it, why can't two parents of the same gender?

Did I suggest that there should be a law against homosexual couples raising children? No, I said that granting the same legal standing would make legal requirements about adoption. It would take away the ability to use lifestyle as a deciding factor in adoption processes.

I don't believe that is right, for the reasons previously stated.

I know that I will probably regret this. But, I am continually bothered by how sanctimonious some people get when they snidely point out how intolerant and judgemental religious people are. Irony anyone?

There are many, many posts in this thread now whose basic message, distilled down, is man, religious people are idiots. How can you be so naive, and so uninformed on how the universe really works. I mean really, believing in God, that is just stupid.

Seriously, for people who talk about how judgemental religious people are, some of you are really coming of as bigots.
Fair enough. I am one of the people to whom I'm sure you are referring. To be clear, I do not think religious people are idiots, and I have some friends of degrees of religiousity ranging from pure atheist to biblical literalist. It just stuns me, and many others that an otherwise perfectly rational person can believe in a book written between 1500 and 2500 years ago (depending on which part) and large parts of which are either contradictory or incorrect, and use this instead of rational thought in some parts of their lives, or to argue against people who have dedicated large parts of their lives studying particular things (ex evolution).

If an adoption agency were judging off of someone's race, clearly wrong. But, when you bring in lifestyle, that is a completely different thing. Lifestyle is, in my opinion, a vital portion of what an adoption agency should be looking at. Now, you feel that there is nothing wrong with the lifestyle, thats fine, you are welcome to that opinion.

I have a major problem with this comment. Being *** is not a lifestyle any more than being black or being bald is a lifestyle. It is genetically determined. Peoples' lifestyle can be judged separately from their sexual orientation.

And, I believe that I have a duty to vote according to what I feel will be best for the society
Maybe some others would disagree with me but I would say that your reason for voting one way or another is your own, and if religion is part of that then so be it. However, I also say that same sex marriage is something which is protected by human rights, and therefore it is unreasonable to pass a law against it, no matter how large of a majority voted for a law against it.

edit: changed last sentence for clarity

Maybe some others would disagree with me but I would say that your reason for voting one way or another is your own, and if religion is part of that then so be it. However, I also say that same sex marriage is something which is protected by human rights, and therefore it is unreasonable to pass a law against it, no matter how large of a majority voted for a law against it.

And I would argue that traditional marriage is protected by the dictionary.

Can blue be yellow just because it wants equal rights, no. Can a man be a woman (barring time on the operating table) just because of equal rights, no.

Granting same sex marriage is not just a matter of rights. Its changing the very definition of marriage. Whatever else is involved, this is more than just a question of equal rights.

I have a major problem with this comment. Being *** is not a lifestyle any more than being black or being bald is a lifestyle. It is genetically determined. Peoples' lifestyle can be judged separately from their sexual orientation.

Being attracted to men, or women may or may not be genetically determined. Who one sleeps with is part of one's lifestyle. Attraction and actions based on attraction are two different things.

That is like saying inability to be celibate before marriage is genetically determined.

Who one is sleeping with is a lifestyle choice.

It just stuns me, and many others that an otherwise perfectly rational person can believe in a book written between 1500 and 2500 years ago (depending on which part) and large parts of which are either contradictory or incorrect, and use this instead of rational thought in some parts of their lives, or to argue against people who have dedicated large parts of their lives studying particular things (ex evolution).

Have you ever read the bible crazy_bear? Care to show us how exactly the Bible is either contradictory or incorrect? I know this is a bit off topic from the original post, but that statement was only put in there to try to show in infallibility.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High