A couple of questions regarding Modified d2gfx.dll?

Joosh

May 6, 2007
A couple of questions regarding Modified d2gfx.dll?

I keep hearing about these things and that it is one way of running diablo multiple times at once. It seems like it would potentially be a lot easier than faster user switching (especially considering that I disable users on my computers because I like to load them up as fast as possible).

So my questions are I suppose:

1. What exactly does the modified d2gfx.dll do and is there any risk?
2. How do I go about getting the file and installing it, assuming that the potential for risk is minimum?

Thanks in advance guys

Joosh :thumbsup:

No risk, get it from Phrozen Keep (google it)

The file just allows you to execute Diablo II.exe more than once.

You then just host a game with the one instance and join your own IP with the other instance.

Make a backup copy of your old file if you feel it is risky and going to break something.

Also I suppose another question would be what people opinions on the use of a modified d2gfx.dll?

And Also thankyou Thyiad for the PM with information.

Joosh

Also I suppose another question would be what people opinions on the use of a modified d2gfx.dll?

And Also thankyou Thyiad for the PM with information.

Joosh

I dont think anyone minds it, all HF rushing is done with it so alot of ppl are using it. I cannot see anyone having a problem with anyone else using the file.

You then just host a game with the one instance and join your own IP with the other instance.

For the record, you don't actually have to know your ip or even be connected to the internet. You can always use 127.0.0.1 (the address for your local machine) for running multiple instances on your computer.

For the record, you don't actually have to know your ip or even be connected to the internet. You can always use 127.0.0.1 (the address for your local machine) for running multiple instances on your computer.

or "localhost", or whatever your computer is named :badteeth:

Out of curiosity does the modified dll only allow you to open two instances on one computer? Or is it possible to open as many as you wish?

Joosh

The modified file makes you open up to 8 windows afaik. No fast user switching required.

My computer can handle 8 open at once, but I lose track of which window is which. It's best to use 2 computers for HF rushing. Your best computer is the 7 mules, and your slower one is for using the rusher (generally a tri-element sorc in 1.09)

Just incase you care. JJscuds run counter doesn't seem to work very well on computers with the modified file. It doesn't work at all for me, and he said that he's had other cases as well.

-hps

Okay well I suppose my question should be then, how do I go about running more than one copy? Just keep running the diablo shortcut?

I have two computers and both are fairly well capable of running 7 copies of diablo II LOD, but I would rather keep my main play computer modified .dll free.

Joosh :thumbsup:

Yes - but it might be, that you do have to point the shortcut to the Game.exe instead of the Diabloii.exe. Just in case it doesn't work properly :cool:

Another question from me, please. Do I need to have D2 installed multiple times, or just once?

How does it work!?

Good question, here's the lowdown:

Your game checks to see if another game is running and if it is, shuts it down.

More clearly:

Code:
6FA7445C    .  53                        PUSH EBX                                 ; /Title => NULL
6FA7445D    .  68 F4E5A76F               PUSH 6FA7E5F4                            ; |Class = "Diablo II"
6FA74462    .  FF15 44C1A76F             CALL DWORD PTR [<&USER32.FindWindowA>]   ; \FindWindowA
6FA74468    .  85C0                      TEST EAX,EAX
6FA7446A    .  74 49                     JE SHORT 6FA744B5

Third column is what going through your processor, so it tests, then jumps. 6FA744B5 leads to the error message "(ASCII "Only one copy of Diablo II may run at a time.")".

So...

Solution is to change it from "JE SHORT 6FA744B5" to just carry on with whatever it was doing before. This is what the modified d2gfx does.

How?

Like this:

Code:
0000446A   EB 49            JMP     SHORT 000044B5

Simple, you just change the instruction to go somewhere else.

How do you do this in reality?

You open D2GFX in your favourite hex editor, go to 0000446A and change the value from 74 49 to EB 49. That's right, you change a 74 to a EB and you can run multiple copies of D2. It's *that* simple.

And all of this is at the phrozen keep. And that means, Ardo, you only need 1 installed diablo 2.

Another question from me, please. Do I need to have D2 installed multiple times, or just once?

Just once.

Usually when you click a shortcut of a game that's already "on", you get something like "an application of XXX is already running" or "XXX is already running" etc.. you know.

The modified .dll file fixes so you can actually run multiple instances, so you are running the same game, from the same source, multiple times. The beauty of sp :grin:

This is great for hf rushing as well as making different hosters, or just glitchrush your next characters.

Re: How does it work!?

Good question, here's the lowdown:

Your game checks to see if another game is running and if it is, shuts it down.

More clearly:

Code:
6FA7445C    .  53                        PUSH EBX                                 ; /Title => NULL
6FA7445D    .  68 F4E5A76F               PUSH 6FA7E5F4                            ; |Class = "Diablo II"
6FA74462    .  FF15 44C1A76F             CALL DWORD PTR [<&USER32.FindWindowA>]   ; \FindWindowA
6FA74468    .  85C0                      TEST EAX,EAX
6FA7446A    .  74 49                     JE SHORT 6FA744B5

Third column is what going through your processor, so it tests, then jumps. 6FA744B5 leads to the error message "(ASCII "Only one copy of Diablo II may run at a time.")".

So...

Solution is to change it from "JE SHORT 6FA744B5" to just carry on with whatever it was doing before. This is what the modified d2gfx does.

How?

Like this:

Code:
0000446A   EB 49            JMP     SHORT 000044B5

Simple, you just change the instruction to go somewhere else.

How do you do this in reality?

You open D2GFX in your favourite hex editor, go to 0000446A and change the value from 74 49 to EB 49. That's right, you change a 74 to a EB and you can run multiple copies of D2. It's *that* simple.

And all of this is at the phrozen keep. And that means, Ardo, you only need 1 installed diablo 2.

itried to find Address 0000446A but to no avail,nada

Re: A couple of questions regarding Modified d2gfx.dll?

If you want help, you'll have to give more information.

Not that I can help you.

Re: A couple of questions regarding Modified d2gfx.dll?

The Sticky covers how to obtain the multiple instance .dll for 1.11b and 1.12a. If it isn't covered there then go to the Phrozen Keep.

Thanks.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High