Stuck at Bnet's "Checking Versions" screen.... i

jread

Jul 8, 2003
Stuck at Bnet's "Checking Versions" screen....

Hello everyone,

I just started installed D2 after a loooong time of not playing (years) and I can't get past the "Checking Versions" screen on battlenet. I'm not sure what is causing this but maybe someone can help. I'm running XP with a cable internet connection and am connected to a Netgear router.

UPDATE: I can now get to the "Create Account" screen. If I click on it and try to create the account, though, it hangs for a second and then says, "You were disconnected from Battlenet, please reconnect".

I don't think it's an issue with the cd-key. I had that problem when I installed the game for the very first time. I uninstalled and reinstalled it again and it worked fine after it was finished uploading the patch. The only other time I had that problem is when my ISP was doing some sort of maintenance, and I lost internet service for a short time.

have you used any hax, or cheats in the past?

reinstall and make sure you have the latest patch, 1.11b

I don't think it's an issue with the cd-key. I had that problem when I installed the game for the very first time. I uninstalled and reinstalled it again and it worked fine after it was finished uploading the patch. The only other time I had that problem is when my ISP was doing some sort of maintenance, and I lost internet service for a short time.

When I made the mistake of trying to use the same CD key with two copies, that's where it'd hang up. I'm sure it could be other things as well though.

When I made the mistake of trying to use the same CD key with two copies, that's where it'd hang up. I'm sure it could be other things as well though.
Hmm, I suppose it could...the only time I tried to use the same cd-key on two computers at once (before I found out I couldn't do that), I got a message saying something like "Your cd-key is currently in use by (my name)" Even after reinstalling a new cd-key on the other computer I still get that sometimes, but it never lasts very long.

These are original CD's with the keys... no copies, no hacks.

Do you think it has to do with my router (ports being open) or would it even let me get to the account creation screen if that were the case?

UPDATE: I just updated the firmware for my router, forwarded the ports I needed for D2, etc. and I'm still getting stuck in the same spot. I'm about to just give up.

Try re-installing the game...like DII Legend suggested. Then make sure you get the latest patch update when you log on to B.Net for the first time. Did it make you update the patch when you first got on?

are you on another network (school/dorm/apartment)
or your isp could be blocking ports

Ok, I finally got it working. I had to do port forwarding AND port triggering on the Netgear router.... I have no idea why but it works now. Thanks for the suggestions :)

BTW, I laughed at the comment about the dorms.... it's been a long time since I've been in a dorm :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High