The Black Mushroom is about the most complicated "FedEx" type quest in Diablo, (which isn't saying much, ten years later) but it has a nice reward and one of the best catch lines in the game.
The Black Mushroom
- Quest Name: The Black Mushroom
- Triggered By: Finding the Fungal Tome
- Frequency: Single player only, found in 2/3 of games.
- Given by: Adria.
- Location: Dungeon Level 9
- Reward: Spectral Elixir (+3 to all attributes).
Once you find it, go to town and talk to Adria. She will tell you that in order to make use of it, she will need a Black Mushroom. Return to the caves and search for a patch of mushrooms within. Take the Black Mushroom and return to Adria with it. She will say that she now needs an elixir from Pepin. Ask Pepin for the elixir, and he will say that he will need a demon's brain to create such an elixir. Return to the caves and kill any demon. His brain will pop out. Grab it and return to Pepin for the elixir. Go back to Adria with the elixir, and she will say that she does not need it any more. Drink the elixir to raise your all your base stats by three. If you don't use it right away, it will not work.
This quest requires you to perform several steps in sequence, and make several trips back to town. In order:
- Find the Fungal Tome
- Take the Fungal Tome to Adria
- Find the Black Mushroom
- Return the Black Mushroom to Adria
- Talk to Pepin, who sends you to retrieve a Demon's Brain
- Kill any monster and collect the brain (first monster you kill after speaking with Pepin).
- Return the brain to Pepin and take the spectral elixir he gives you.
- Take the elixir to Adria, find out that she doesn't need it, and drink it yourself.
Keep an eye out for the mushroom patch and the Fungal Tome as you explore level 9. Each are small, dark, and easy to overlook on the mottled cave floor. You can not pick the mushroom ("Now that is a big mushroom!") and hear the catch phrase until you've found the Fungal Tome and returned it to Adria, so prepare yourself to do some walking on this one, as you must visit the witch at least twice during the course of running these errands.
If you do not drink the Spectral Elixir very soon after completing the quest, you will not be able to drink it at all.
- What do we have here? Interesting, it looks like a book of reagents. Keep your eyes open for a black mushroom. It should be fairly large and easy to identify. If you find it, bring it to me, won't you?
- It's a big, black mushroom that I need. Now run off and get it for me so that I can use it for a special concoction that I am working on.
- Return (with mushroom)
- Yes, this will be perfect for a brew that I am creating. By the way, the healer is looking for the brain of some demon or another so he can treat those who have been afflicted by their poisonous venom. I believe that he intends to make an elixir from it. If you help him find what he needs, please see if you can get a sample of the elixir for me.
- Return (with brain)
- Why have you brought that here? I have no need for a demon's brain at this time. I do need some of the elixir that the Healer is working on. He needs that grotesque organ that you are holding, and then bring me the elixir. Simple when you think about it, isn't it?
- The witch Adria seeks a black mushroom? I know as much about Black Mushrooms as I do about Red Herrings. Perhaps Pepin the Healer could tell you more, but this is something that cannot be found in any of my stories or books.
- Ogden mixes a MEAN black mushroom, but I get sick if I drink that. Listen, listen... here's the secret - moderation is the key!
- I think Ogden might have some mushrooms in the storage cellar. Why don't you ask him?
- If Adria doesn't have one of these, you can bet that's a rare thing indeed. I can offer you no more help than that, but it sounds like... a huge, gargantuan, swollen, bloated mushroom! Well, good hunting, I suppose.
- Let me just say this. Both Garda and I would never, EVER serve black mushrooms to our honored guests. If Adria wants some mushrooms in her stew, then that is her business, but I can't help you find any. Black mushrooms... disgusting!
- After mushroom
- The witch told me that you were searching for the brain of a demon to assist me in creating my elixir. It should be of great value to the many who are injured by those foul beasts, if I can just unlock the secrets I suspect that its alchemy holds. If you can remove the brain of a demon when you kill it, I would be grateful if you could bring it to me.
- Return (with brain)
- Excellent, this is just what I had in mind. I was able to finish the elixir without this, but it can't hurt to have this to study. Would you please carry this to the witch? I believe that she is expecting it.
- I don't have any mushrooms of any size or color for sale. How about something a bit more useful?
Player (when right-clicking the Fungal Tome)
- That didn't do anything.
Player (when interacting with Mushroom Patch before quest activation)
- I can't use this, yet.
Player (when picking up the Black Mushroom)
- Now that is a big mushroom.
- What? Now you bring me that elixir from the healer? I was able to finish my brew without it. Why don't you just keep it...
|Diablo I - Hellfire [
Basics Quests Skills Monsters
|Diablo I Basics [ ]
|Quest General Info - Quest Items[ ]
|Diablo I Spells
|Hellfire Spells [ ]
|Diablo I Monsters - Quest Bosses - Superuniques Bosses
|Hellfire Monsters [ ]