Balrogs are Demons.
These hulking demons are very much the traditional demon as seen in mythology. Large, muscular, winged, horned, and ferocious. They aren't as savage in the game as their appearance would suggest, and spend a great deal of their time mincing around the character and spitting Infernos from 2 or 3 squares away. The Infernos are more showy than damaging, and the real danger from Balrogs comes from their mighty bashing melee strikes. These do considerable damage and are very fast, but Balrogs can't hit that quickly in sequence, so aren't a stun locking danger.
Their movement pattern makes them very hard to hit with ranged attacks. Stand besides a wall and shoot along it; that's a good way to hit the Balrogs as they circle you, since they'll pause when they reach a wall. Most Rogues and Sorcerers end up killing a lot of Balrogs at point blank range, since only there will the monsters stop dancing around and take their medicine. This is risky, of course, since their melee attacks are painful. Balrogs make interesting targets for the Charged Bolt spell, otherwise not very useful in later levels, as they are never immune to lightning and the shotgun-like spell is a great way to make sure they are hit at a modest mana cost.
- Full listing of the SuperUnique Balrogs.
- Stats are listed by Normal / Nightmare / Hell difficulty levels.
- MFL: Magic / Fire / Lightning.
- I = Immune
- R = Resistant (75%)
- - = no resistance or immunity to that element
- No monsters in Diablo or Hellfire have any physical resistance or immunity.
- IntF = Intelligence Factor. Values are from 0-3; smarter monsters will pursue more doggedly, and the value is used in various calculations. Monsters that can Follow if you break the line of sight or open Doors are marked with F and D.
|Dungeon Level||Monster Level||IntF||Experience||MFL|
|Slayer||10-12||20 / 35 / 50||O DF||2300 / 6600 / 13,200||RI- / RI- / RI-|
|Guardian||11-13||22 / 37 / 52||1 DF||2714 / 7428 / 14,856||RI- / RI- / RI-|
|Vortex Lord||12-14||24 / 39 / 54||2 DF||3252 / 8504 / 17,008||RI- / RI- / RIR|
|Balrog||13-15||26 / 41 / 56||3 DF||3643 / 9286 / 18,572||RI- / RI- / RIR|
Balrogs have an fire-breathing Inferno attack that's more colorful than damaging. Like the character's Inferno, it does more damage at a distance than in close.
|Hit Points (Diablo, MP)||HPs (Hellfire, SP)||AC||To/Hit||Damage|
|Slayer||120-140 / 361-421 / 483-563||60-70 / 230-260 / 340-380||60 / 110 / 140||100 / 185 / 220||12-20 / 28-44 / 54-86|
|Guardian||140-160 / 421-481 / 563-643||70-80 / 260-290 / 380-420||65 / 115 / 145||110 / 195 / 230||14-22 / 32-48 / 62-94|
|Vortex Lord||160-180 / 481-541 / 643-723||80-90 / 290-320 / 420-460||70 / 120 / 150||120 / 205 / 240||18-24 / 40-52 / 78-102|
|Balrog||180-200 / 541-601 / 723-803||90-100 / 320-350 / 460-500||75 / 125 / 155||130 / 215 / 250||22-30 / 48-64 / 94-126|
Characters walk at 0.4 speed. See the Diablo Characters page other swing speeds, casting speeds, and other useful character speed break points.
- Balrogs are extremely fast in most ways. They are one of the few monsters that walks faster than a character and they recover from hits almost instantly. Fortunately their AI causes them to harmlessly dance around a lot, and they can't hit multiple times in a row with much speed.
- Their Inferno attack is listed by the second attack time.
|Walk time||Hit Recovery Time||Attack Time||Hit Time|
|Slayer||0.35||0.05||0.70 / 1.00||0.15|
|Guardian||0.35||0.05||0.70 / 1.00||0.15|
|Vortex Lord||0.35||0.05||0.70 / 1.00||0.15|
|Balrog||0.35||0.05||0.70 / 1.00||0.15|
|Diablo I - Hellfire [
Basics Quests Skills Monsters
|Diablo I Basics [ ]|
|Quest General Info - Quest Items[ ]|
|Diablo I Spells||Hellfire Spells [ ]|
|Diablo I Monsters - Quest Bosses - Superuniques Bosses||Hellfire Monsters [ ]|