would this idea work?

DeathMaster

Oct 30, 2003
would this idea work?

Just an idea, my tournamant necro is still 3 and half act away from fighting ancients, but if I do get that far, I don't want to end my build there, so I got an idea to safe kill ancients (I hope):
cast Attract on one ancient, then cast amp damage on him, repeat unless the other two killed him. same for next ancient, and the last ancient should be reasonablely weak, my undead army should be able to handle him.

Would this work?

Erhm, I thought the Ancients were immune to AI-curses (along with all other uniques).

But if you are able to cast Bone Prison try to check MongoJerry's Maldar the Magnificent writeups (they are news items, not forum posts so they are not affected by the crash).

I very much doubt Attract would work on the Ancients, although not having taken a Necro to Act 5 I can't say for certain... the 'safe' way to kill the Ancients generally involves Reviving a bunch of Minotaurs/Balrogs/Urdars (the latter 2 from Act 4) and letting them beat the snot out of the Ancients. Skeletons do well too but you have to be a bit careful since you can't raise any more once you get there!

The trusty Golem + Iron Maiden method will also work. But watch out, I think the Ancients have the ability to ignore the golem from time to time.

Bone Prison/Wall does not work in 1.10. The Ancients completely ignore and walk through them. (It´s a good method in 1.09, though)

And you cant Amp something that is Attracted.. "cant be overriden by other curses" But the Ancients go down easy if you have a Skellimancer, (you didnt say) i didnt struggle for 1sec.. Lovely build that Mancer..

Edit: When i think of it, i may have misread the Attract thing.. Does it work to Attract something and then Amp it? :lol: Ill crawl back in my hole and shutup..

ULTIMATER said:
And you cant Amp something that is Attracted.. "cant be overriden by other curses" But the Ancients go down easy if you have a Skellimancer, (you didnt say) i didnt struggle for 1sec.. Lovely build that Mancer..

Edit: When i think of it, i may have misread the Attract thing.. Does it work to Attract something and then Amp it? :lol: Ill crawl back in my hole and shutup..

well, yes, I do have a fishy build, but he is very much unprotected under my rules - no weapon, no headgear, no body armor, no shield, leather gloves only. Not that strong to stand a hit (from ancients) at all.

DeathMaster said:
well, yes, I do have a fishy build, but he is very much unprotected under my rules - no weapon, no headgear, no body armor, no shield, leather gloves only. Not that strong to stand a hit (from ancients) at all.

You shoud not get hit, but your Gollem and Skellies will. If you can distract two Ancients while your army punches one, youll be ok ;)

Bring some Urdars or Gorebellies. Well, those fatsos with the big clubs anyway. :) They have crushing blow and will make short work of the ancients. My record stands at about 14 seconds... :lol:

Nightfish said:
Bring some Urdars or Gorebellies. Well, those fatsos with the big clubs anyway. :) They have crushing blow and will make short work of the ancients. My record stands at about 14 seconds... :lol:

They only have Crushing Blow on NM and Hell (15% and 25%, respectively) but they are still big brutes that hit hard. Minotaurs are also good revives and they can always be found in Ancient´s Way (the area just before the Summit) on Normal.

Hm, seems like I missed the part where he said he was still in normal. Well, in normal you don't really need to bring any revives... Just the skellies and decrep are enough.

You don't need defence or any of that stuff--your army will be quite enough to take down the Ancients, and the chances of you getting hit yourself are near enough nil.

The AI curses do not work on any non-normal monster. This means uniques, superuniques, act bosses, champions (berserker, ghostly, etc.), as well as Oblivion Knights (IIRC).

Go in with all your skeletons, and some revived ranged attackers. If you have decreptify, so much the better.

Darn! NF broke my personal best on Normal Ancients! Necundus took them down in 20 seconds.

How about Hell Ancients? He took them down before the game could clear the potions I dropped on the floor. Although I don't know the exact time, I would say under 3 minutes. [/brag]

Porius

Porius, those were the hell ancients I was talking about. ;) I had 16 urdars with me, the merc had CB and so had I. 14 seconds might be a bit exaggerated, but not by much.

Porius said:
The AI curses do not work on any non-normal monster. This means uniques, superuniques, act bosses, champions (berserker, ghostly, etc.), as well as Oblivion Knights (IIRC).
I really hate those guys. Iron Maiden slaughters my skellies and you can't even use a AI curse on them!! :rant:

Fire Golem worked wonders for my necro. With his aura and 6100 health, they kept attacking him, whilst my 10 mages and 5 skellies and me just stood in the back.

Mordalles has a very good point about the Fire Golem. He's the best tank in the game, and if you have some skeletons to help distract the Three, you can just stand back and use Bone Spear of Bone Spirit to help them with the kill. I would suggest using Lower Resist with the Golem and the bone spells though, because it will lower Fire and Magic resistance, thereby making the Golem and bone spells more effective.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High