Tips for newbies

Zedwardson

Aug 20, 2021
With D2R coming around, we might see some new players coming to solo gaming. What would be some of your guidance for new players to D2? I am so rusty I am most likely forgetting things, and I am sure I will learn a thing or two.

But I will start with.

-- the Runewords stealth, Leaf, Rhyme, (and soon after Lore) are great runewords that require easily obtained runes.
-- The Countess is a steady rune dropper, and is in Act 1.
-- Don't be afraid to screw up now and then.
-- Blood Raven with a freeze attack can be quite deadly to low level characters.
-- Beware of cold enchanted elites. They fire off a Frost Nova on death. It can be a killer.

When you kill Andariel for the first time, always talk to Warriw before you save and exit. This "quest-bugs" her so you get better drops on all future times you kill her.

Well we have been writing starter build guides for all classes, 4/7 done so far. You can find them in the strategy section on the main page.

@Swamigoon wrote this epic too:

Reactions: Zedwardson
Good "Breakpoints" to enter Acts and Difficulties:

Act I to Act II Normal - 18+
Act II to Act III Normal - 24+
Act III into Act IV Normal - 28+
Act IV into Act V Normal - 30+

Nightmare should be approached after lvl 44

Hell after lvl 78

Reactions: Zedwardson
I actually did not know this. (Writes down notes)
Would have been nice to hear before I finished Andy with both my TLR characters. Well not running Andy for loot in normal anyway

Duriel is a lot easier if you pop some anti-freeze before meeting him

Patience and forgiveness.

Every class has some build that completely wrecks Normal difficulty. Use it! Plenty of really fun builds are very, very boring and/or challenging for the first thirty levels for one reason or another, whether it is a lack of skills or gear. Others are a cakewalk. You don't need to put yourself through painfully unpleasant gameplay anymore- we have respecs. Use them! Unless you're one of those sickos like me that enjoys the pain.... then forget I said anything.

Feeling stuck? Act 5 Normal is a treasure trove of items and experience. Run Pindle, Baal, or even Nihl Temple. I've gotten tons of staples in this places including things like Skin of the Vipermagi, Magefist, Stone of Jordan, IK Helm, Peasant Crown, Bonesnap, etc. That doesn't even include the runes for things like Lore, Spirit, Insight, and more.

It's slower going that rushing to NM Mephisto or something, but if you're truly stuck (or just afraid of Nightmare and beyond) there is a lot of offer in Normal that many don't take advantage of. It's also not really very difficult at all to get to level 65 or so running Normal Baal. Even 70 if you've got the patience for a day or two.

Most people won't play the game this way. But you can, if you want to. You can also choose to use 'walk' instead of run to take real advantage of defense and blocking (which don't work and are halved while running, respectively.)

How immersed you get is up to you.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High