the way i see d2

krizn

Dec 30, 2021
i'm sure that i'm not the only one here who started playing diablo 2 before lord of destruction. that being said i am hoping to start a discussion by expressing some concerns.

i'm not against change, but when i was reading discussions about what people want changed in d2r recently, i saw a lot of complaining about x y or z class being to strong/weak with a b or c build and i don't really understand it. there are certain builds that, i agree, can use a little help to be worth the investment (spear zon is an example) but that doesn't mean, in my opinion, that they need to make every single hair brained build part of the meta.

i see people argue constantly that you need a sorc to farm, but i still don't have one. i see people argue that you need a smiter to do ubers, but i still don't have one.

there are builds with advantages over others, but i would argue that, unless your sole purpose in playing this game is to make actual money selling items you don't need to use any builds other than what you have fun using. if it doesn't seem like the build works right away, then continue to tweak it until it does. there is an insaine amount of item and build combinations that exist. i say try everything, keep trying it until you get bored, then try something else. i love the idea of opening up the game to more builds and a large amount of versitility in those builds.

not every build can chaos, cow, uber, baal, etc. and that's ok. if they could, it wouldn't be diablo 2 any more.

i will never say that change is a bad thing, but if there is to much of it, you lose what you started with. i want d2 to evolve and adapt, but i also want the essence to be preserved.

You want the essence to be preserved... this essence is just what you know and in what state this game is.
D2 can be tweaked without loosing the essence of the game.
Not every build has to be meta, i agree
But alot of builds are just not viable (enough) to enjoy gameplay

The balance will never be perfect, but i am happy they try to boost underperforming builds
For us it's a matter of getting used to new builds/skills/tier and in time that will become for us the essence of the game...

Remember introduction of 1.10 runewords? <-- did we (in the end) loose the essence of the game? Nope... we adjusted

You want the essence to be preserved... this essence is just what you know and in what state this game is.
D2 can be tweaked without loosing the essence of the game.
Not every build has to be meta, i agree
But alot of builds are just not viable (enough) to enjoy gameplay

The balance will never be perfect, but i am happy they try to boost underperforming builds
For us it's a matter of getting used to new builds/skills/tier and in time that will become for us the essence of the game...

Remember introduction of 1.10 runewords? <-- did we (in the end) loose the essence of the game? Nope... we adjusted
i agree, and i know there will be adjustments. i'm not even saying they're going in the wrong direction or that the change is un-welcome. i just hope they proceed with caution.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High