That's not spam! A reintro/Guardian thread

JoeBruce

Jun 18, 2020
Howdy all,

I'm a long-time lurker, sporadic poster of the forum from the way back days (but not way, way back). My password changed or I was otherwise unable to access my account here, maybe as long as a year ago, and although I requested a reset I wasn't getting any emails. I thought maybe I had registered with some random email 20+ years ago, but recently I checked my spam folder. 🤦‍♂️

Now my password was reset and I could post again! But again, sporadic poster. So what to post? A few updates? Sure.

I've been very happy with the updates brought on by Resurrected; some of the skills changes maybe weren't necessary, but there is so much good and very little bad from this amazing reskin. Although my play is limited, Resurrected has gotten me back into this game a bit.

Many months ago, I lost my lvl 90 sorceress while running Ancient Tunnels. She had leveled here from (I think) lvl 86. I do not do fast runs; quite the opposite. So there was a big time investment just in Ancient Tunnels, not to mention she Guardian'd on an untwinked, full-clear, single-pass playthrough. I was running AT not hoping to find Tal Rasha's armor, and I never did. She seemed safe enough, and after running her that many times I figured the only thing that might kill her was a cold enchanted boss's death explosion while she was amp'd. I was correct.

I started playing a set of 7 chars I started eons ago, and got one of them through Act 2 NM (they've all gotta make it through). I think my first character in Resurrected was actually remaking the Druid for this set, and I played him untwinked through Act NM; very fun. I also Guardian'd a Fury Wolf Druid, so I'll share some of that here.

This druid had max lycanthropy, werewolf, and fury; 14 in feral rage; 15 in oak sage; 1 in grizzly; and 1 in carrion vine.
Name: Lincoln
Class: Druid
Experience: 1223943926
Level: 86

Naked/Gear
Strength: 135/157
Dexterity: 115/126
Vitality: 230/230
Energy: 20/40
HP: 652/764
Mana: 190/225
Stamina: 374/394
Defense: 28/2398
AR: 545/22196

Fire: 159/119/59
Cold: 185/145/85
Lightning: 186/146/86
Poison: 110/70/10

MF: 0 Block: 12
GF: 14 FR/W: 30
FHR: 94 IAS: 40
FCR: 0

He ran at /p8 in Normal and Nightmare, /p3 in Hell. Gear included Reaper's Toll (weapon), Jalal's Mane (helm), Duress (armor), Gore Rider (boots), and the following blues/yellows:
Corpse Grasp
Demonhide Gloves
Defense: 50
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 35
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x2ade06c8
Item Level: 84
Version: Resurrected
+20% Increased Attack Speed
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
+41% Enhanced Defense
+3 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +17%
Lightning Resist +30%
+5 to Light Radius

Hailstone Buckle
Battle Belt
Defense: 46
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 30
Required Strength: 88
Fingerprint: 0xecba1320
Item Level: 66
+24% Faster Hit Recovery
+18% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +13%
Lightning Resist +28%
Attacker Takes Damage of 2
Required Level +5

Chaos Grasp
Ring
Required Level: 35
Fingerprint: 0x2f932f18
Item Level: 83
+4 to Minimum Damage
+41 to Attack Rating
6% Life stolen per hit
+2 to Strength
Lightning Resist +27%
Fire Resist +30%

Ghoul Coil
Ring
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0xbf1405d4
Item Level: 49
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
+20 to Attack Rating
2% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Dexterity
+35 to Mana
Cold Resist +13%
+5 to Light Radius

Feral Amulet of Life Everlasting
Amulet
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xbbb1d03e
Item Level: 66
+2 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)
Damage Reduced by 25

I went with a Rogue Merc, for the fire damage and inner sight. The decrepify on Reaper's Toll breaks most physical immunities, but having an alternate set of damage is always nice. I also had a demon limb on switch for the AR and fire damage boost. The merc wore Crow Caw (armor), Blackburn's Face (helm), and this rare bow, just because:

Rune Quarrel
Crusader Bow

Two Hand Damage: 65 - 281
Durability: 34 of 44
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 97
Required Dexterity: 121
Fingerprint: 0xaa5a3c28
Item Level: 87
315% Enhanced Damage
Adds 3 - 20 Damage
+25 to Attack Rating
Adds 6 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
Required Level +7

Probably better iron golem fodder than anything, but that much raw damage was fun to have. And she was effective; fire arrow has a conversion rate based on physical damage. I don't have no fancy runewords or windforces :)

I've made a few fury wolves over my D2 career, and always enjoy them. I use Oak Sage and Carrion Vine as support skills; the spirit is usually okay if you keep an eye on it, and recast it on your own terms when it strays into enemies. The vine is nice on levels with undead/unleachables, and especially when they're all ranged attackers. This happens often in Act 5. I know I had one or two dicey moments, but mostly this guy stayed pretty safe. He likely won't see much action in the future, but I may whip him out when I want something fun to tear through the minions of Hell.

I'm a 38-year-old male, married with two little kids (second one is 7 weeks old). I live somewhat near Washington DC (but not that close). I work a boring desk job, staring at a screen all day, but it allows me to work from home and have a good life balance. I started playing this game when I was about 15, and although I've taken many long breaks I always come back eventually. It's one of my all-time favorites. When I play nowadays, it's usually hardcore, and very often a single-pass character or doing random Worldstone Keep or Mephisto runs.

Nice Guardian JoeBruce. But I find the Reapers is best on a A2 Might Merc (HF for the safety factor in HC if you like). If you ever get a big hurty Ribby or another good weapon, switch up, hit up some MF gear and get to the Pits.

@DaveW yes I think most people agree with that assessment, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I just like more control over that decrepify. There are a variety of great weapon choices for this build, Ribcracker being one; in softcore I even found a Tomb Reaver, but don't think I got around to using it (of course, the level requirement on that makes it a truly end-game weapon). Truth is, Reaper's Toll is plenty strong enough for end-game, and I'm not trying to optimize. Plus I wanted something aside from an A2 mercenary. It's all about style!

@maxicek, I was close to creating a new account and PMing you to see how I could salvage this one. Glad I finally remembered the spam folder.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High