Single Pass Untwinked P8 Fury Druid - Fenrir

duck

Dec 13, 2013
Hi all. Having completed my Frenzy Barb, I'm looking to start a new journey. This time it will be a SC Fury Druid for couple of reasons:
  1. Melee character that is dependent heavily on weapons. This enhances the single pass experience
  2. I will be able to use any weapon type. If Barb, I am limited to whichever mastery I chose. If Paladin, I can only use 1H weapons. This gives me more options should cool uniques drop.
In this thread, I am looking for overall tips on how I should proceed. I will also be documenting my very slow and steady progress. But before that, here are some of my general rules.
  1. Single pass, full clear, always P8, SC, no respec, almost untwinked
  2. Given that my Frenzy Barb found some cool runes (Jah/Mal/Um) that were unused, I will not make this Fury Druid fully untwinked. My rule is that I can only use those runes after Hell A4 Forge, and provided that I have found all the other runes required. For example, if I found Shael Pul Lum but am missing a Mal, I will allow myself to build Oath. An exception is if I found a high rune at any point. I will reward myself by building whatever I can immediately.
So before I commence, here are some questions I have for now
  1. I reckon I need to max Fury, HoW, Lycan and Werewolf? HoW is because I think AR is very important for single pass, plus I'm SC anyway. What are your opinions on the summons? Do they tank well or are they necessary?
  2. I will generally follow the untwinked guides (jiansonz and hc gunther) for gear. I will craft some blood gloves/helm if necessary. First Lem goes into Lawbringer to deal with PI, second Lem goes into Treachery. Target end game weapon is Insight/Obedience. Sounds right?
  3. How should my weapon progression be like? What kind of base weapons should I look out for? Should I gamble or consider some runewords?
Thanks!

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Is this D2R? I was just looking at the wereform calculator and they really screwed around with Fury. Looks like you could go with just about anything now and hit 4FPA fury with werewolf.

I would be looking out for the old school favourites - Bonesnap, Steeldriver. Twice upped Steeldriver would see you through the game. Savage Polearms as soon as yu get the cube. Insight and Obedience also good picks.

Melee character that is dependent heavily on weapons. This enhances the single pass experience

giphy.gif

I will not make this Fury Druid fully untwinked

ohh-i-get-it.gif

• Haha
Reactions: maxicek
Well the only twinked part is late in the game if I'm missing a key rune XD otherwise if I don't meet my requirements, it's basically untwinked all the way

Would be a pity if I lucked a high rune but can't build anything as it happened for my frenzy barb (jah). So say if an ohm drops now, then I'll allow myself to build a Faith.

Last edited:
This sounds like a fun project! I look forward to reading your status updates on this character. I will admit, I'm not a huge Druid fan and haven't spent much time playing shapeshifters, but I will contribute my two cents re: your first question...

I reckon I need to max Fury, HoW, Lycan and Werewolf? HoW is because I think AR is very important for single pass, plus I'm SC anyway. What are your opinions on the summons? Do they tank well or are they necessary?
Another approach could be to max Fury, Feral Rage, Lycanthropy, and Werewolf. HoW (or Oak Sage) are a bit of a nuisance since they die so easily, though it easy to re-cast them. But you also get a bigger AR bonus from maxed Feral Rage than you do from HoW if AR is a major concern of yours.

As for summons, a 1 pt Grizzly can be pretty tanky, so that could be worthwhile... but maybe those points are better spent in the shapeshifting skill tree.

This sounds like a fun project! I look forward to reading your status updates on this character. I will admit, I'm not a huge Druid fan and haven't spent much time playing shapeshifters, but I will contribute my two cents re: your first question...

Another approach could be to max Fury, Feral Rage, Lycanthropy, and Werewolf. HoW (or Oak Sage) are a bit of a nuisance since they die so easily, though it easy to re-cast them. But you also get a bigger AR bonus from maxed Feral Rage than you do from HoW if AR is a major concern of yours.

As for summons, a 1 pt Grizzly can be pretty tanky, so that could be worthwhile... but maybe those points are better spent in the shapeshifting skill tree.
Oh? Feral Rage adds AR? Is it when you charge it up it gives the boost?

My thinking on summons is that I survived my frenzy with just a merc and me, so I'm not sure if I need more tanks. Then again, I had howl/battle cry for CC..

According to Arreat Summit, level 20 Feral Rage grants +145% damage and +210% AR (along with increased run/walk and life steal). It lasts 20 seconds. I think, if I understand correctly, it’s only the life steal that goes up when you attack and build up the red ball that spins around the character. Damage and AR seem to be flat bonuses that don’t work like the life steal / red ball thingy. I dunno, maybe I’m wrong about that. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable chimes in!

Bumping this thread to post an update.

It's been more than a year, but I basically had zero progress on this character. Diablo 2 is like my comfort game that I play when I'm bored of everything else. Well I got bored a couple of days ago and finally decided to play.

[Edit]
I'm currently L20, just killed Andy. I got an early Death Sash, so that's my CBF solution fixed early on. 2 rows of potions will be annoying though. I reckon I can probably use other belts first until CBF is necessary.

I also gambled a sweet 25% MF rare gloves with CR/FR. Looks like I'll be using it for a while.

1714138632555.png

Looked what dropped in Catacombs too. First unique, and suits my early game too!

1714144679942.png

Andy dropped me a Topaz. I think this run is off to a great start!

Right now the plan is to get to A2 and use a Savage Polearm. Then maybe a Steel/Strength weapon, before working towards Edge Siege Crossbow. At some point I think I would upgrade to Insight. End goal is Obedience or any other high end uniques/runewords depending on luck.

Skill wise, I think I'm maxing Fury/Lycan/HoW/Werewolf (after 9 points first)/Grizzly. I'm playing softcore, so I don't think I really need that extra life vs the AR and HoW provides. Regarding Grizzly though, I'm wondering if points in it is worth it. It increases the damage, but points in Dire Wolf should give it more HP though.

What are your thoughts on merc? I have always gone damage route via Might merc, but I'm contemplating Holy Freeze instead because unlike my previous Frenzy Barb, I don't have Howl/Battle Cry etc to control the crowd. Reckon that Hell may be difficult because of it.

[Edit2]

Lol I thought my unique was cool. Turns out Savage Polearm blows it out of the water!

Last edited:
Reactions: little birdy
l recently did three Fury wolves and used three different mercs. My choice was Act 5 Frenzy barb with a Lawbringer sword. You are going to need something for the PIs and Lawbringer is fairly easy to make,. just about any other sword works (Voice of Reason and Crescent Moon are both reasonable Runewords).

I also found that the Fury wolf lacks area effect damage and that dumping some points into Armageddon was very worthwhile

Reactions: drmalawi
l recently did three Fury wolves and used three different mercs. My choice was Act 5 Frenzy barb with a Lawbringer sword. You are going to need something for the PIs and Lawbringer is fairly easy to make,. just about any other sword works (Voice of Reason and Crescent Moon are both reasonable Runewords).

I also found that the Fury wolf lacks area effect damage and that dumping some points into Armageddon was very worthwhile

I guess I'm a purist in that I refuse to have "spell damage" in my arsenal.

Since I'm not playing D2R, A5 merc is definitely a nono. I also decided to go for Holy Freeze merc because I think I badly need some form of CC in later phases of the game. If I'm able to make Lawbringer, it will be in my switch to proc the decrep.

Anyway, quick Fenrir update. I just reached normal A5. Not much improvements on my gear overall, except for a Savage Partizan which I cubed. Pretty sure I will end the act with this weapon. Not sure when a good 3 soc Siege Crossbow will drop, in which I will make an Edge. Also waiting for 4 soc polearm for my insight.

Question time. What do you guys do with all your gems? I have spent every single diamond trying to get a better Savage Polearm, but I probably will stop now though.

The Act 5 Merc with Lawbringer is still a good choice in 1.14. I finished Hell with my wolfbarb in 1.14 and used an Act 5 Barb wielding Lawbringer. I think they actually made the normal Act 5 Merc worse in D2R since his casting of battle cry overwrites the decrepify.

You probably won't find the runes, but if you do Delirium is a good choice for crowd control.

Reactions: drmalawi
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High