Shrines and Associated Odds

In The Name of Zod

Jul 13, 2007
Shrines and Associated Odds

I've looked high and low for odds on what a shrine will be and no luck. In fact, any information on how shrines are made would be very helpful.

From what I've gathered, the most likely to shrine/s to appear seems to be the resistance shrines followed closely by the combat and mana regen shrines. Poison, fire and explosive shrines seem to be the next most likely to appear. Finely the gem shrine sits at the back. FYI, i'm planning waypoint runs in single player looking for gem shrines = charm transmutting = +magic find.

Does anyone have a link or information on these numbers.

http://www.purediablo.com/shrines/index.shtml

The details need to be culled from the game files, which I don't get involved in. Someone else may have already, though. If not, it will probably take a while, but gems shrines are, by far, the rarest type, appearing approximately once per act, at most. I've already suggested shrine running is a less-than-effective way of getting perfect gems, so you should probably just build a Lightning Fury Amazon and start hitting cows, unless you're already doing mass hellforge rushing for runes.

I seem to have made a mistake. Monster shrines are the rarest shrines. I've been getting a good number of gem shrines SP now. However i do know that it'd be easier to run area's just for gems, the thing is i do sort of combo runs. This makes shrines very helpful (Lvl 88 -> 89 in 1 1/2 hours due to the ease of experience shrines). I take my lead from what ever shrine pops up.

Cow runs in single play (i didn't mention i'm sp before - sorry) are awkward because of killing the King - too easy and yes I've done a Javazon with fury and killed the king by accident - but thanks for the tip :)

I'm still having problems finding solid information on shrines through. There's certainly no guides on them only a page here and there on what they do. I do use the forum search tools.

This is not a bump. Cheers, i'll report back again only if i get exactly what i need first so as to pass on. Thanks.

I have no accurate data, but a lot of player experience. The rarest shrines in my experience are Portal Shrines and Fire Shrines, then Monster Shrines, then Gem Shrines. All the others are much more common.

I have no accurate data, but a lot of player experience. The rarest shrines in my experience are Portal Shrines and Fire Shrines, then Monster Shrines, then Gem Shrines. All the others are much more common.
OT: do you actually use Fire Shrines? Does anyone?

The other three are quite handy, but I personally just find Fire Shrines an annoyance. (Probably because in the middle of a battle I'm likely to hit one by accident and blow myself up!)

If there is a mob of monsters around me and i see a fire shrine, I will more than likely use it. Other that, no i won't use it.

Helps kill the clone faster, that's for sure. Used it at least once before and he can't juve like I can, so I'm safe.

Anyway, I find portal shrines seemingly more often, but that's not a scientific conclusion. It really would take checking the files to find out, so we can either create a 'Things to Do for Statistics Geeks' list, or just wait.

The details need to be culled from the game files
Here's the relevant bits from Shrines.txt:
Code:
> select "shrine name", effect, rarity from shrines order by rarity;
None|none|1
Refill|fills health and mana|1
Health Boost|doubles current health (even over maximum) (OUT)|2
Mana Boost|doubles current mana () (OUT)|2
Armor Boost|+100% AC|2
Combat Boost|+200% to hit, +200% min and max damage|2
Resist Fire Boost|+75% to resist fire|2
Resist Cold Boost|+75% to resist cold|2
Resist Lightning Boost|+75% to resist lightning|2
Resist Poison Boost|+75% to resist poison, and poison duration = 0|2
Skill Boost|+2 to all skill levels|2
Recharge Boost|+400% mana recharge rate|2
Portal to unknown|opens a portal to town|2
Storm Shrine|all players and monsters lose 1/2 current HP, shoots fireballs|2
Health Exchange|takes 1/2 health, gives 5 times that number to current mana (OUT)|3
Mana Exchange|takes 1/2 mana, gives 5 times that number to current health (OUT)|3
Stamina Boost|Unlimited stamina|3
Experience Boost|50% more experience per kill|3
Shrine of Enirhs|reverses character name (OUT)|3
Gem Upgrade|upgrades a random gem (up to one before max level if available), or gives a random gem|3
Warping Shrine|nearest monster becomes unique|3
Exploding Shrine|drops 5-10 exploding potions & tosses out exploding potions in random directions/distances|3
Poison Shrine|drops 5-10 poison gas potions & creates ring of poison gas around shrine|3

Here's the relevant bits from Shrines.txt:

The problem is that the shrines.txt file isn't as useful in this case (how shrines spawn). From what my tests have determined, the rarity itself does nothing.

Essentially what happens when determining a shrine is the game first selects what shrinetype to use, which are Recharge, Booster and Magic. After a shrinetype is selected, it'll randomly select one of the shrines of that type, regardless of rarity. If for one reason or another it cannot select a shrine (because the lvlmin is too high) it'll default to the refill shrine.

LvlMin is used in conjuction with the area level, but how exactly is not clear. It's not a simple matter of shrines being able to spawn in areas with an area level of > shrine levelmin, but I've been able to get shrines that have a lvlmin higher than 2 to spawn in cold plains on normal difficulty. LvlMin can, however, be used to prevent shrines from spawning on certain area levels, unless the game fails enough times similiar to staffmods, but that's another story.

I can confirm gem and experience shrines can spawn in normal Blood Moor, I'm assuming everyone can verify stamina, health, mana, and refilling shrines can and do. I'm sure I've seen a well in there, too. So, let's make a list for the first area of the game and go from there:

None - Confirmed
Refill - Confirmed
Health Boost (OUT)
Mana Boost (OUT)
Armor Boost
Combat Boost
Resist Fire Boost
Resist Cold Boost
Resist Lightning Boost
Resist Poison Boost
Skill Boost - Confirmed
Recharge Boost
Portal to unknown
Storm Shrine (FIRE)
Health Exchange (OUT)
Mana Exchange (OUT)
Stamina Boost - Confirmed
Experience Boost - Confirmed
Shrine of Enirhs (OUT)
Gem Upgrade - Confirmed
Warping Shrine
Exploding Shrine - Confirmed
Poison Shrine - Confirmed

I can confirm gem and experience shrines can spawn in normal Blood Moor, I'm assuming everyone can verify stamina, health, mana, and refilling shrines can and do. I'm sure I've seen a well in there, too. So, let's make a list for the first area of the game and go from there:

None - Confirmed
Refill - Confirmed
Health Boost (OUT)
Mana Boost (OUT)
Armor Boost
Combat Boost
Resist Fire Boost
Resist Cold Boost
Resist Lightning Boost
Resist Poison Boost
Skill Boost - Confirmed
Recharge Boost
Portal to unknown
Storm Shrine (FIRE)
Health Exchange (OUT)
Mana Exchange (OUT)
Stamina Boost - Confirmed
Experience Boost - Confirmed
Shrine of Enirhs (OUT)
Gem Upgrade - Confirmed
Warping Shrine
Exploding Shrine - Confirmed
Poison Shrine - Confirmed

When I did my blood moor runs in hell there were no resist shrines, armor, combat, or portal. I'd assume anything that doesn't appear there in hell won't appear in normal.

Orphan is pretty much spot on. Rarity does indeed not matter when it comes to shrine selection, shrine spawn chances are hardcoded. You are also correct on the method which the game uses to select a shrine, that is it first seelects an effectlass then randomly selects a shrine with the chosen class. Although you use th term shrine type, which I guess you take from the first column in shrines.txt, but the game doesn't actually use that (but it is ofcourse a description of the shrine type, for reference only). There are 4 shrine classes (not counting the '0' class):

1 = Magic type shrines
Shrine of Enirhs (not used)
Portal Shrine
Gem Upgrade
Fire Shrine (listed as Storm shrine in shrines.txt)
Warping Shrine
Exploding Shrine
Poison Shrine

2 = Recharge type shrines
Health Boost
Health Exchange (not used)

3 = Recharge type shrines
Mana Boost
Mana Exchange (not used)

4 = Boost type shrines
Refill (shrine type = recharge, irrelevant)
Armor Boost
Combat Boost
Resist Fire Boost
Resist Cold Boost
Resist Lightning Boost
Resist Poison Boost
Skill Boost
Recharge Boost
Stamina Boost
Experience Boost

Note that some names might differ a bit from actual in game names. The check for unused shrines is hardcoded to their id and is performed after a shrine is chosen. If an unused shrine is selected, the game will make the following changes:

Mana Exchange (id = 5) will be replaced with Mana boost (id = 3)
Health Exchange (id = 4) will be replaced with Health boost (id = 2)
Shrine of Enirhs (id = 16) will be replaced with Gem Upgrade (id = 18)

I'm not entirely sure how exactly specific objects are placed on the map, be it through the map files themselves (.ds1 or something similar), levels.txt or other ways, but this will obviously be the first step in shrine spawning - the game deciding that it should actually spawn a shrine (a shrine is considered an object). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can shed some light on this process. Anyway. Once the game decides to spawn a shrine, it will check the 'Parm0' column in objects.txt to see which effectclass to choose:

0: some specific process, I have not checked how this is done (I think it simply selects a random shrine, with no regards to effectlass). Currently, no shrines have parm0 value of 0.
1: effectclass = 2
2: effectclass = 3
3: 10% chance of class = 1, 90% chance of 4.

Majority of shrine objects have a parm0 value of 3, or 34. The rest, 26, are split evenly between 1 and 2.

Now, what actually prevents a shrine from spawning is the level id of the current area. This has no relation to the area level or difficulty. The level id needs to be equal or greater than 'LevelMin' from shrines.txt for the shrien to spawn. The following shrines have a LevelMin greater than 1:

Health Exchange: 2
Mana Exchange: 2
Portal to unknown: 3
Warping Shrine: 3
Gem Upgrade: 4
Armor Boost: 5
Resist Fire Boost: 5
Combat Boost: 8
Resist Poison Boost: 21
Resist Cold Boost: 26
Resist Lightning Boost: 32

For reference, the level Id rises as the game progresses, with the Rogue Encapment having Id = 1 and Baals Throne room id = 131 (Outer cloister has id of 32). Again, difficulty has no relation to the level Id so the Blood Moor always has Id = 2, in normal/nightmare/hell). So a Gem Shrine should not be able to spawn until The Stony Field (id = 4) in ANY difficulty.. a rather strange design I must say. However, as Orphan pointed out, if the game fails to find a shrine that meets the Id vs. Levelmin criteria EIGHT times, it will select the last shrine it checked anyway (similar to the staffmod selecetion as noted by Orphan).

I'm not sure if I managed to cover everything, but this along with Orpans post (and others in this thread) should provide some detail into shrine spawning.

What's the LevelMin of Shrine of Enihrs? If it's 1, that might explain gem shrines not being very uncommon in the blood moor.

EDIT: Aw dang, sorry for the necro.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High