(Re-) Introduction of Irenicus

Irenicus

Dec 3, 2018
This introduction is a bit late, but rather late than never. ;)

I have been following the old forums, especially the UT 99er thread, for years, mostly lurking. About three years ago I decided to join the old SPF, was somewhat active for a bit, took a break from D2 and then D2R came along with the new forum and new motivation.

I have actually played D2 on and off since the original release in 2000. It was a Friday and my best friend and I already had our desktop computers at his place, bought the game after school at the local game shop and started playing single player in each other’s company. He started an Amazon and I played a Sorceress. I know that we were quite afraid of Andariel as she supposedly was as difficult as Diablo in D1. :ROFLMAO:

Later we did a few LAN parties, where we always started fresh (untwinked!) and played HC until the first party member died. There are still some fresh memories about dying to NM dolls in Act3, because someone carelessly fired off a FO or LF. :oops:

I also had a brief period were I played in a legit HC online community (called VIVA) and actually found a ZOD at Pindles minions (in front of the temple). I never used it and it’s gone now, but I am very much looking forward finding one again.

Overall D2 has always been and will likely remain my number one game. I just do not like playing new games very much and rather stick to what I know (e.g. BG, BG2, HOMM 3 and 4). However although I played a lot of D2, I always played it in a casual way. I more or less did a fresh start every year or so, played only HC and never actually reached very high levels or got hold of very rare items/runes. That’s what I want to change and why I mainly focus my limited playing time on Fiona, my SC UT 99er entry. However I am also playing about an hour per week with my childhood friend, the same one that I started playing D2 with. J

In RL I am 37 years old, which means that I will always have played D2 more than halve of my life, as long as will continue playing it. I work as an engineer, live in Dortmund (Germany) and recently became a father for the first time. Besides D2 I like playing a German card-game called “Doppelkopf”, used to play quite a bit of MtG, like riding my bikes and maintaining them and enjoy distance-hiking on vacations (mostly in the UK/Ireland like Coast to Coast, West Highland Way or Kerry Way).

I am very much looking forward to becoming a more active part of this community.

Thank you for reading and have fun playing this great game!

*Casts Mirror Image

What a nice introduction thread. I really like the story of how you started the game. It reminds me quite a bit of my own story.

What faction do you prefer in HoMM3? I am a Rampart and Fortress kind of guy myself, but I like most of them.
I have a rotation of old games aswell, but for me it's D2, HoMM3 and AoE2.

Welcome back (from lurking). I loom forward to hear more about your sorceress.

Also, before I forget:
*kicks shins*
"Curses. T'was but an illusion. I shall have my revenge..."

Reactions: Miron and Irenicus
"You dare to shin-kick me here. Do you even know what you face? You will suffer! You will ALL suffer!"

Overall D2 has always been and will likely remain my number one game. I just do not like playing new games very much and rather stick to what I know (e.g. BG, BG2, HOMM 3 and 4). However although I played a lot of D2, I always played it in a casual way. I more or less did a fresh start every year or so, played only HC and never actually reached very high levels or got hold of very rare items/runes.
Reading that is like looking in a mirror...

I'm probably not such a huge fan of HoMM 3 as you obsessive fellows. I've only named almost all my necromancers and assassins after Necropolis characters and guardianed three named after that game. Not anything uncontrollable. Really. Promise. :D

Welcome back!
I know that we were quite afraid of Andariel as she supposedly was as difficult as Diablo in D1.
My very first time playing D2, I stayed up really late (like it was starting to get light outside) crawling my way through Act 1 to face Andariel. I was expecting something that looked like the Countess or Blood Raven. So when Andariel stomped her way towards me it scared the living daylights out of me. Lets just say I decided to get some sleep before actually killing her. The sound of her stomping still kind of gets to me.

I've only named almost all my necromancers and assassins after Necropolis characters and guardianed three named after that game.
Where were you 3 weeks ago when I spent hours finding good names for my new characters. :p This is such a nice idea. I can see where I would field most characters aswell. ^^

Reactions: Irenicus
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Using HoMM3 character names is a great idea! It never crossed my mind, although I think about names of my characters quite a lot. Unless I take one of my default names, e.g. Irenicus for a necro or Morgana for a sorc. A few years ago I looked through a lot of MtG Legendaries to find a name for an assassin and came up with Kiku. 😅

I play HoMM3 quite casually. Orginally I liked Tower and Dungeon the most, nowadays enjoy the power of Necropolis quite alot. :)

Reactions: Kartongen
I play HoMM3 quite casually. Orginally I liked Tower and Dungeon the most, nowadays enjoy the power of Necropolis quite alot. :)
Those two were my favourite when I started playing, and played much more magic-centric. Deemer and Solmyr were my go-to:s then.

Now I play more might-centric and tower is probably my least favourite. ^^

Where were you 3 weeks ago when I spent hours finding good names for my new characters.
Busy with putting words to how scary Duriel is to face in hell when you try to not lose your mercenary.

Solmyr is the greatest of genies. Him and Tassadar in Starcraft were my biggest idols when I grew up. The order campaign in HoMM IV was a bit lame at the start but Solmyr stayed in character at least (even though his name got misspelled in that game...).

My favourites were necropolis and tower at first but then became Rampart since I had always had trouble playing that faction effectively.

Reactions: Kartongen
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High