Pierce question

Spook_Cell

Dec 14, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Pierce question

So I've been playing my FA amazon a lot lately and I have been wondering a bit about pierce. Question is rather simple: when you shot is the pierce rolled for each monster it touches or only for the first therefore making go through all monsters it will touch afterwards. Thx for any help

I'm 99% sure that the chance to pierce is rerolled at every monster. I also believe that the chance to pierce drops with each monster pierced.

Pierce re-rolls each time it hits a monster. The probability doesn't change for each monster, but it does have a cap (95%, I think).

So you can get pierce to go through the first two of a group, but not the third, for example.

It does get rerolled and what I've understood from the discussions on the Amazon forum, there is no more maximum of monsters that can be pierced. There doesn't seem to be a definite answer to the question whether there's a 95% cap on pierce or that the chance is reduced each monster.

Is there also the diminishing pierce possibility thing? I've heard that, if you had, say 95% pierce, it'd have diminishing piercing the more monsters you pierce. Something like .95*.95*.95*.95 on the fourth monster, assuming that you actually properly rolled to hit on all of the monsters. Does that sound correct to anyone else?

Could be...hard to tell, really...I mean, how often do you have more than 3 monsters perfectly lined up in a row? My take is to put enough points into Pierce to have 98% pierce with Razortail. In practice, you won't notice a difference with 100% with diminishing or capped 95% with reduced each pierce or whatever exact mechanism governs the equation. Wouldn't hurt to put 1 point extra into Pierce to go over 100%, just in case it's not capped at 95%...a single point won't make or break your character anyway. When using FA pierce does have a great impact though, Razortail could easilly double your effective damage...I'm still debating dropping Goldwrap and put Razortail back on.

My understanding of it is as wildjinn stated. The pierce is rerolled for every monster and there's no hardcoded diminishing %. It just becomes more unlikely that you'll pass every pierce roll as more monsters are added. With two monsters lined up, 95% piercing for each individual monster equals 90% chance you'll pierce both even though it's still 95% for each individual monster. Add a third and it's ~85% that you'll pierce all three yet the roll for each individual one is still 95%.

jrichard

wildjinn said:
Is there also the diminishing pierce possibility thing? I've heard that, if you had, say 95% pierce, it'd have diminishing piercing the more monsters you pierce. Something like .95*.95*.95*.95 on the fourth monster, assuming that you actually properly rolled to hit on all of the monsters. Does that sound correct to anyone else?

Yes, it's all a probability thing. At max pierce of 95% (if that is in fact true,), the probability of piercing any individual monster is 95%, whether it is the first or 20th monster. However, the probability of piercing 3 consecutive monsters is 86% (.95 x .95 x .95).

At lower levels of pierce, your chances of multiple pierces are quite slim. At 50% pierce, you only have a 13% chance to pierce 3 consecutive monsters.

Just looking at my own numbers, I would say there would have to be a cap on maximum pierce. If you had 100% pierce shown, you could theoretically pirece 50 monsters with 100% success.

Hergrom

There is no cap on pierce. A missile can miss, so it may seem that pierce is capped.

Edit: There is however a cap on how many monsters can get pierced by 1 arrow, it used to be 4 pierces for 1 guided arrow.

I always thought the guide arrow just timed out, rather than having a limit on the number of times it could pierce. Thankfully, that question has been rendered academic.

As for other skills, I fired many thousands of freezing arrows from my 1.09 MF burizon, and never once observed a failure to pierce any enemy, anywhere. And I'm quite sure that many times I had 6, 7, 8, or more cows lined up. So I don't think there was ever any cap.

zinger said:
As for other skills, I fired many thousands of freezing arrows from my 1.09 MF burizon, and never once observed a failure to pierce any enemy, anywhere. And I'm quite sure that many times I had 6, 7, 8, or more cows lined up. So I don't think there was ever any cap.
When a Freezing arrow doesn't pierce, it still shows the graphics until it's out of flight time. You'd have to check if the arrow did any dmg as well.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High