MF Sorc- Meteorb vs All Cold

Mal

Jun 25, 2003
MF Sorc- Meteorb vs All Cold

What would be better for MF- mostly Meph, but other areas as well, Meteorb or all cold with static and alot of e shield synergies? Can a Meteorb sorc have enough points left over to have a good defence? Or is it worth it to be better suited to kill cold immunes?

Mal said:
What would be better for MF- mostly Meph, but other areas as well, Meteorb or all cold with static and alot of e shield synergies? Can a Meteorb sorc have enough points left over to have a good defence? Or is it worth it to be better suited to kill cold immunes?

The meteororb build is pretty tight on points, I wasn't done at level 83 (RIP)and that's no eshield or frozen armor. I found myself using orb more than meteor but that's basically because I was mostly doing hell Andy and everything is fire immune there and I've never been that good at meteor. I think I would max fire ball first next time since I found it more effective.

I've never been a build eshield fan, maybe maxxed is ok. I also heard that eshield is now bugged (or fixed) but since I don't use, not sure about details.

You said "other areas as well" so I wouldn't go all cold.

If you are running meph, go all cold or all fire.

20 Frost orb
20 frost bolt
20 cold mastery

The rest go into Static, Energy shield and telekinesis.

[above] works well for Andy runs too. I went from 78-83 doing those with a pure cold build due to all the bosses and champions you run into along the way... only things you can't really kill (without a good merc) are the Blood Lord dudes on Cats 3.

Cold...period. I have a meteor/fireball sorc. She has a 9k fireball, 20k+ meteor. Neither skill is particularly a good "clearing" skill and the number of fire immunes in key areas is a real problem.

As also pointed out, maxing synergies requires most of your points up well into the 80+ lvl with no room for energy shield if thats the way u want to go.

Orb/Blizz seem to be much better skills, especailly if u are contemplating allot of solo runs.

Prez

Prez said:
Cold...period. I have a meteor/fireball sorc. She has a 9k fireball, 20k+ meteor. Neither skill is particularly a good "clearing" skill and the number of fire immunes in key areas is a real problem.

As also pointed out, maxing synergies requires most of your points up well into the 80+ lvl with no room for energy shield if thats the way u want to go.

Orb/Blizz seem to be much better skills, especailly if u are contemplating allot of solo runs.

Prez

I have just started my first sorc. Have always played Zon or Barb but am looking for a mfer and see to many sorc to ignore.

Now I was going to go with fire because that is the only equipment I have but reading this I am wondering if it is worth it?? I want to be able to bring her into hell to nf....what should I do??? help plz

Mal said:

All cold and get a good merc and outfit him well. Anything cold immune gets a static barrage and beat down by my merc.

Blizzard!

Glacial is the synergy for Blizz and is a very good skill on itw own, much like the fireball/meteor build only cold slows things down which is a bonus!

Corndog said:
All cold and get a good merc and outfit him well. Anything cold immune gets a static barrage and beat down by my merc.

How many skill points in Static to make it effective?

laughingtiger said:
How many skill points in Static to make it effective?

It really depends on preference, but level 18 will cover the whole screen. Thats what I was shooting for on my last sorc but she died when static was only at level 15. IMHO, if you have the points to spare, get it to 18 with skills from equipment, not base.

10 is effective, but you have to get a bit closer than an orb travels. 15 seems to be about orbs distance and prett close to the whole screen other than corners which is plenty.

My preference due to his attacks are to get in Mephs face or if using FW, Met or Hydra stay at max distance or use mote but i dont know if he is still that stupid in 1.10. At max distance you can dodge his orb and in his face he doesnt use it and I would much rather never see his orb and give him a nice big kiss while I static him! I like getting in Baals face also as he seems less likely to hit you with his cold wedge this way and may not even use it. If you recall he tends to throw those in waves if you get very far from him. His pain in the arse attack of MB stinks also so not sure what is best advice, but at leas his mana stealing doesnt hurt you. I get in diablos face also. He gets more dangerous on the move than standing still.

So with all that said a nice 10 is effective and also usable in regular game situations although if you get 18+ you can stant at extreme distances and static things like Lidsters pack in safety beyond minions and mercs, so you will have to choose!

Slick and Stinger, thanks for your insight on Static. I've just started a new sorc and I've always wondered about the effectiveness of Static.

Cheers

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High