Meet Lunar (Fury/FC Wolf)

Arjan

Aug 10, 2021
So... my first build I post on the SPF. I will try not to make a thing about it :)

This thread will have a couple of goals:
1) to show you what build I run around hell with
2) to learn from mistakes I might have made (so please feel free to point them out)
3) to start a discussion about what gear to replace and what to replace it with.

I have played D2 for quite some time, but it's been over a decade I played for a longer period of time. Playing with Lunar has brought me to a place I never been before: Hell Act V (and grinding for gear to fine tune the build). My two favorite places to grind are Andy and Meph. I have a short route to Andy and a bit longer one to Meph. Every now and then (when I get bored) I do a Diablo run for fun (this is also new to me... fun diablo runs).

So Lunar. Time to break him down.

Items
Head: Jalal's Mane
Body: Chains of Honour Scarab Husk
Weapon: IK Stone Crusher (+Shael rune)
Gloves: IK Forge
Belt: IK detail
Boots: IK Pillar
Ring 1: Raven Frost (found it yesterday... finally a decent ring)
Ring 2: magic 6% Mana steal
Amulet: Mara's
charms: nothing special. some res and a lot of life.

Stats

Statnakedwith gear
Strength196286
Dexterity106131
Vitality203208
Energy2045

I have my res at 75 except for poison (64)

Skills

I only put the notable skills or the ones I discuss later on in the table. So not the 1 point req skills. Lunar has points in all three trees (because of the FC synergies in Elemental tree).

Skillpoints + gear
Lycanthropie15
Werewolf20
Feral Rage9
Fury28
Fire Claws28
Oak26
Firestorm15 (synergy FC)
Molten Boulder7 (synergy FC)

In game this gives me aroung 3500 life (as werewolf with the oak bonus). Fury damage is between 2594 and 4379 with an AR of 8078.
FC damage is in the 1350 range with an AR slightly over 10k.

Overall I really enjoy playing Lunar. He bites his way through packs of monsters (his 18% lifesteal helps... a lot). But... since it's my first serious build and I want to learn and grow in the game (my goal would be to play a HC untwinked character later on) I would really like to hear your thoughts. I have some questions I will post below. Feel free to answer them all, one or none at all :D

1. I feel he is a bit strength heavy. But I don't think it's so big an issue as to respec him at this point. What do you think?
2. What should I put in the 2nd socket in IK Stone Crusher? I don't really understand the FPS tables I see a lot so I don't feel comfortable to just put in another Shael for more speed (might be maxed allready?) What other options would be viable?
3. I think I have end gear stuff in most slots allready. I have alternatives for the IK slots that I could use, but that would weaken the weapon. I am working on a Beast Rune word. So when I get that what gear could I put in the IK slots?
4. The magic ring has to go in time. But with the mana steal and with the elemental damage in IK Stone I kinda lose the need for a secundairy weapon. What could be a usefull addition?
5. I still have 2 of my socket rewards. I reckon I won't replace Jalal's at all. So what to put in those socket(s)? MF?

Thank you for your interest in my little wolf. I'd love to hear your thoughts on him.

Hi and welcome.

1. It's a little dex heavy as well, but that's not a problem as long as your survivability is fine. You get an extra damage and attack rating, as well as more freedom to experiment with different setups if you choose so.

2. Shael definitely. That way you reach next breakpoint for both Fury and FC.

3. Beast isn't a great shapeshifter's weapon. Without getting into details, I wouldn't use it in stead of IK combo you sport.

4. The ring is fine as long as it has mana leech. For a second weapon slot, you can use +skill items for "reshaping", but it's not necessary. I wouldn't use CTA on a shapeshifter since it's too much hassle.

5. Jalal's is your endgame helmet. Socket it with Resists, MF, Damage, Attack Rating, anything works.

Hi and welcome.

1. It's a little dex heavy as well, but that's not a problem as long as your survivability is fine. You get an extra damage and attack rating, as well as more freedom to experiment with different setups if you choose so.

2. Shael definitely. That way you reach next breakpoint for both Fury and FC.

3. Beast isn't a great shapeshifter's weapon. Without getting into details, I wouldn't use it in stead of IK combo you sport.

4. The ring is fine as long as it has mana leech. For a second weapon slot, you can use +skill items for "reshaping", but it's not necessary. I wouldn't use CTA on a shapeshifter since it's too much hassle.

5. Jalal's is your endgame helmet. Socket it with Resists, MF, Damage, Attack Rating, anything works.
Thank you Delsy!

I put in another Shael and (no surprise there) it did get faster.
Funny that I kept reading the Beast runeword wrong. It's of no use to me because it gives that bonus to werebear and not wolf. So that's back to the drawingboard on that part.
I will keep my IK until something better comes along. So far I haven't seen anything even remotely as good.

Well I put the socket in Jalal's allready. I'll wait putting something in it until I have the rest of my gear in place (2nd ring mostly) and see what is lacking then.

I was hesitant to go further in act V because the frozen river part was rather hard. But just went from Frozen Tundra all the way to Worldkeep 2 with a lot less trouble then I expected (ok those ancients were a bit of work). So might go on and try Baal somewhere this weekend.

On switch you could try a Demons Limb and plus skills shield for extra AR and Fire damage.
Hmm... that sounds like something to try!

First going to add that Patriarch title to his name... Half way through the throne room allready

edit: well... that's done. Next stop: level 99.

Attachments

• Patriarch Lunar.png
    Patriarch Lunar.png
    311.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High