MDR to negate Council's Hydra?

Clervis1

Dec 12, 2006
I've been thinking about forgetting resists for my Trac running barb and merc and just focusing on MDR. How much would I need to eliminate the damage from fire bolts of the P3 council's hydras?

Clervis:

See this thread http://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/fire-damage-of-hydras-from-council.781940/ (specifically the post by onderduiker) for the hydra damages for Act 3 council. To get the P3 numbers you would just need to multiply the end numbers by the P3 damage bonus (so 12.5%).

Using MDR on its own is probably not going to be worthwhile, which is why a combination of fire res + some mdr is usually used (for example my barb currently uses skulders + dwarf star, which effectively negates the hyrdas with 75 fire res).

Ah. 112.5 per bolt then. Way too much hassle. What I currently have is 75 fire resist and dwarf star, much like you mention. So my it should be:

112.5 base
-14 MDR = 98.5
*(1-.75 FR) = 24.625
* .70 Absorb reduction/heal = 17

Which is about 11 less than having 75% FR without dwarf star. Hmm.

Your Barbarian can negate any Hydra damage in Travincal with MDR 28 (164*0.17), since the player count damage increase only applies to attack or source damage, there's no critical hit chance and pets only apply 17% damage to players.

Hydras summoned by Geleb Flamefinger and his minions will still apply 135-164 fire damage per bolt to your mercenary, though.

Your Barbarian can negate any Hydra damage in Travincal with MDR 28 (164*0.17), since the player count damage increase only applies to attack or source damage, there's no critical hit chance and pets only apply 17% damage to players.

Hydras summoned by Geleb Flamefinger and his minions will still apply 135-164 fire damage per bolt to your mercenary, though.
Well I guess that explains why that cramming 50 MDR on him did just about nothing. I guess the best options remains to be Guardian Angel with enough resists to hit 90%.

In order to achieve protection from fire without fire res, I would rather put on a Rising Sun amulet, it makes you immune to almost everything involving fire, even at negative resists.

Physical damage is of much greater concern than the Hydra damage. Except for your merc. ^^ I believe that's because Hydra is a player skill, and players receive only 1/6 (PvP damage reduction) of the damage for that. The merc does not. Therefore you're probably better of sticking that Guardian Angel on your merc.

For barb is simple: lifesteal = survivability. You can get decent fire resist, but as soon as you keep leeching and get like ~12+% lifesteal total, you won't even feel hydras. Physical damage + cold explosions you must to look out.

Merc: GA best armor for survivability no questions asked. Kira's + Ral + GA with Ral will ensure your merc has 90 fire res even under conviction. Kira's gives CBF which means much for merc survivability. And generally same principle as barb, lifeleech is surviving. Reaper's Tool + Shael with Kira's and GA and your merc is very strong on anything in Travincal, except might+fanaticism pack. You probably won't even notice there are hydras in travincal with some practice. Your job is to put council members to continual hit recovery with continuous attacking, and merc job is to curse them to increase both yours and his killing speed and survivability.

Word. The GA merc setup looks to be sufficient. He's only died a couple of times over the last 100 or so runs, so I think he's cool. I'm using Kira's, but it seems a little overkill. Considering I have an Um in the GA, he only needs about 11 fire resist from the helm. Is CBF that integral? I was thinking if I can get something with a few sockets, I could possibly hit his 5 frame breakpoint.

Well I would say CBF means a lot for both merc survivability and for increasing your own damage output via cursing. He attacks slower when chilled meaning it takes more time for him to curse and also is lifestealing slower meaning he will die more often. But you can try without CBF to see yourself how it feels. FHR is also nice, merc has terrible FHR breakpoints.

Test is your best friend. I do various testings myself to see what is the best when not sure, maybe you will find some other setup to be the best for your needs.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High