Magic affixes frequency

Rodrigo

Jun 13, 2006
Hello guys!

After some time, I'm back on my Diablo addiction.
This time I have a question regarding magic affixes. How exactly does frequency affect the probability of an affix to appear? Reading through MagicPrefix.txt and MagicSuffix.txt, there's a column specifying affix frequency, but how does it work? My first guess is that, for example, if an item can have 3 affixes, them having a frequency of 3, 4 and 9, the chance of them to appear would be 3/(3+4+9), 4/(3+4+9), and 9/(3+4+9), respectively, and not just each affix having a 1/3 chance. Am I right? If not, I'd greatly appreciate if someone could give me an explanation.

Also, on MagicSuffix.txt, some affixes have their frequency value empty. How should they be treated? Affixes that cannot appear specifically have 0 frequency, so what about empties?

Thanx in advance! Should someone be knowledgeable enough, I'd love to ask him/her more questions, but for now that is all.

My first guess is that, for example, if an item can have 3 affixes, them having a frequency of 3, 4 and 9, the chance of them to appear would be 3/(3+4+9), 4/(3+4+9), and 9/(3+4+9), respectively, and not just each affix having a 1/3 chance. Am I right?
Yes.

Also, on MagicSuffix.txt, some affixes have their frequency value empty. How should they be treated? Affixes that cannot appear specifically have 0 frequency, so what about empties?
I would guess that they have one of 1. I'm not going to look into the MPQ files, but you can compare the values with what's shown on this affix calculator.

Thanx! The affix calc seems to be more accurate than the text files, as they only show frequencies up to 9, all others greater than 9 are shown as zeros. BTW the text files were from ATMA config folders.
This calc sure will make my job easier. :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High