Just hit print screen!

Jan 1, 2011
I think that this is worth showing my ignorance to the crowd.

Ok, I haven’t been into recording what I find or what I’m doing. However, after reading the forum rules I told myself that I had to start and to pay attention and not just pick up items when they fall. So, last night I’m doing a countess run and what fall from a boss pack on level 2 but a Sur rune. After I picked it up, I remembered that I needed a screen pic so I put it back down, hit print screen and then picked it up and finished the countess run, a Shael and a Tal.

This morning I couldn’t find the saved screen dump and figured I must have done something wrong since it’s probably been over 6 years since I actually did a screen save and that was at work. So, now I know that I hit the windows button and print screen to save a screen shot!

This does bring up a related topic for me and probably a few others out there that managed to keep their stashes. I've got another Sur and two Vex runes that I don't have any screen shots for that were all found before 2012.

Windows Button + Print Screen Key saves in Pictures>Screenshots folder

Print Screen button save to clipboard. Open Paint and paste and then save.

Congrats on the Sur! It might still be on the clipboard.

\Diablo II - 1.14d\Runewords\<here>

If you're using RWM.

Otherwise I don't know :S

Also, if you play on a laptop like me you should probably check if the Print Screen button requires 'Fn' to be pushed.

Remap the print screen to something else. There is no print screen on a Mac keyboard so I always assign it to [ and ].

This is what happens when you "know" all of this stuffbut it has been years since you used it. My last Apple was a IIC with a 300 baud modem and a small color screen.

So I really want to make a Fortitude amor for which I need a Lo, naturally Diablo drops a Sur!

You're not alone.

I ... upgraded? ... to a Windows 10 computer three months ago and just last night discovered where my screenshots ... and character .d2s files are located. I thought they were where I put them: C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\1.11b\Save (and there are .d2s files there, but apparently not the ones that are current). The current .d2s files (and screenshots) are actually located at: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\1.11b\Save (huh). They were particularly hard to find because there is no 'AppData' folder inside my user folder ... I had to type the path manually. The only reason I knew the path was I was searching for .d2s files after two separate runs counters failed to work and I got suspicious that my .d2s files might not really be where I thought they were ...

Bottom line, I would suggest searching for .d2s files. Your screenshots might be nearby.

Of course if you still can't find them you could always do what I've been doing for the past three months: Hit 'Print Screen', minimize the game, paste into paint, save the image to a folder of your choice. But that's a bit inconvenient ... hope you find where they're going!

Yes the 1.14 version changed where the char files and screenshots go into.

There is a registry key you could edit to change the path back to something else; but i cannot remember the key off the top of my head.

EDIT:
be careful as editing the registry may have unintended consequences.
/EDIT

I personally renamed the runewords folder to 'Screenshots' and changed the registery key to the screenshot folder. =P

Last edited:
My Diablo II files and my Atma stashes are on a portable hard disk so that I could play on my home computer as well as my work laptop while traveling. That included all of the D2s files. Shortly after starting up I too had problems finding the new D2s files and I finally found them in C:/Users/usersname/saved games/DiabloII. Thankfully, now that I'm retired I have just the one computer so it isn't an issue for me. Not sure why yours are even better hidden, probably slightly different versiion of Windows 10.

Unfortunately, I know where my screen shot went. It was on the clipboard which I overwrote this morning. It's Windows Key + printscreen for me for the future.

I think hes referring to the rule where if you want to trade any HRs, the history of that rune must also be available at the time of trade.

If you right-click the shortcut you use to run Diablo II and choose Properties, in the Shortcut tab you should see a box for "Start In". This is where the screenshots (taken with the in-game screenshot hotkey) get placed.

You can always show the Hidden files, although not recommended if you don't know what you're doing.
Screenshot 2021-06-01 111325.png

As of 1.14d my saved games are in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\Diablo II which is quite annoying :<

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High